1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Just Where Are We Headed, Realistically

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by royalbarclayfan, Apr 4, 2018.

1. royalbarclayfan

royalbarclayfan Well-Known Member

2. Bure budgie

Bure budgie Well-Known Member

Good article,agree 100%
    No progress for me.
    The future looks black.

3. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

This season has been crap, no doubt about it, but whilst it's completely fair to criticise the boring football and poor results, I think it's unfair to ignore the very real alternative reality where we continued along the path we were on last season.

In that alternative timeline, we'd probably have seen a transfer window last summer like many that had gone before it. We'd have spent good money on one player, and renewed many contracts of failing players. The CB issues wouldn't have been rectified, so Martin would still be a first team player, and there's probably other similar examples like that. I don't think we'd have seen Maddison and certainly not Lewis given half as much gametime under the previous regime. I don't believe the squad from last season, one year older and with a couple of fringe adjustments, would have bettered their 8th place finish. So in this alternative timeline, we've got an even older squad, sucking huge amounts of money out of the club, and no clear direction of what we're trying to do, at the whim of the ideals of whoever rocked up to manage next. And the financial black hole would probably have been even closer to swallowing us.

Personally, I like our current plan in principle, as ever it's the execution of it that needs to be right, and it currently clearly isn't. But realistically, what are the alternatives right now? I don't see another route that gets us out of this division, without significant external investment.

4. royalbarclayfan

All perfectly fair comment DH. You don´t see another route getting us out of this division, my only problem is, that I don´t see this route getting us out either, so ´we´re in a bit of a pickle, if you ask me. But no doubt, once the ´period of mutual patience´ has run its course, we´ll all be that much the wiser. <laugh>

5. oldcanariesfan

oldcanariesfan Well-Known Member

There is "another route out of this division" RBF - it is the one that Rodent and Gunny Snr took us down (literally) and as fun as it was in L1 none of us want to go there again. One could argue that but for stellar individual performances by Madders, Gunn Jnr and perhaps Hanley, we would be in a relegation fight right now so the "other route" is one which we could have seen this season and may see again next season unless the "work in progress" does actually make progress in the right direction.

Right now I am both sceptical and hopeful that lessons will be learned and that we will have a successful summer in the transfer market and start next season in a stronger position that this one but equally I am nervous that this could all go horribly wrong next term.

OTBC !!

6. royalbarclayfan

I feel just as you do ocf, and I was taking it for granted that ´out of this division´ would be understood as going in an upwards direction :) because I can promise you, the alternative has crossed my mind on several occasions this season.

7. Forgot_My_Lines

Forgot_My_Lines Well-Known Member

How can you all be negative, but when I give my opinion, which is the same as yours, I get attacked!?

Why is this fine?

Why has no one attacked you? I'm not allowed to say this! Why are you?!

8. ncgandy

ncgandy Well-Known Member

It's not the same as mine <ok>

9. Forgot_My_Lines

Forgot_My_Lines Well-Known Member

:emoticon-0148-yes: K

ncgandy likes this.