1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Jordan Henderson

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Parmomackem, Jun 26, 2020.

1. Parmomackem

Parmomackem Active Member

Hi guys. Congrats on the premier league well deserved and no doubt the best team. So well done.

But a local lad of ours aka your captain.
    Lad received a lot of stick when he joined and nearlly left for Tottenham but refused and stayed.

How do you guys rate him? Cause hes not born and bred like Gerrard can you accept him as a better captain? Both very different players ofcourse.

Not here for any drama, just genuinely happy for liverpool and the fans and jordan Henderson. Just want your 2cents on the lad.

Solid_Air 2 likes this.
  2. saintKlopp

He's come in for stick at times on here from some of us. I'm one of those who have defended him and I'm made up for him to have lifted the CL last season and now this.
    Not the most gifted of players it's true, but he's a pro who will do whatever is asked of him even when it's the unglamorous donkey work that often goes under the radar. He deserves his success, imo.

3. Sucky

Sucky peoples champ & forum saviour

I think he earned everyone's respect, not a patch on Gerrard as a captain or player for me though.

But an Absolute Liverpool legend just like SG

Parmomackem likes this.
  4. The IncREDibles

The IncREDibles Well-Known Member

I massively underrated him for years but to be fair I've done that with a lot of players that have joined us - particularly under Klopp's reign

His rare absences this season were noticable - we conceded goals that we normally wouldn't concede when he was injured. As saintklopp said, he does all the work that brings out the best of the big name players that play in front of him.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
    Bumps and Parmomackem like this.
  5. johnsonsbaby

johnsonsbaby Well-Known Member

It was 2012 when he was nearly sold wasn't it, the Brendan Rodgers era. In one of his first interviews Rodgers unbelievably (to me at least) said that any player was for sale at the right price. I can't remember which player was being mentioned at the time but it remained Rodgers philosophy. I think he put it to Jordan that an offer had been made and what did he think. Unbelievable really.

I agree with saint, what Henderson lacks in skills he more than makes up for in the effort, heart and soul that he puts in. He doesn't need to be Gerrard or be compared to anyone else, he's our captain and has the respect that goes along with that. Yes he will have critics but which player doesn't. I can't wait to see his shuffle as he lifts the PL trophy. He's a model professional and deserves everything he's achieved at Liverpool.

organic red, Zanjinho and Parmomackem like this.
  6. InBiscanWeTrust

InBiscanWeTrust Rome, London, Paris, Rome, Istanbul, Madrid
    Forum Moderator

It was Fulham he nearly went to in a swap deal with Dempsey.

I think in the early days he never really had a role as he doesn’t excel in one area of the pitch. He’s not a goal scoring midfielder, he’s not a defensive one, he’s not creative and under Rodgers and the way we played he couldn’t really excel.

I think if you now look at our midfield, klopp has transformed it into something different from most of world football. We don’t have a creative type, we don’t have a goal scoring type and other than fab don’t really have a defensive type.

but he’s set the team up so that we don’t need any of them because the front 3 score and the 2 full backs create. It’s a totally different style and that’s allowed players like Milner Hendo Gini who in other clubs probably wouldn’t shine, really come through and be the lynchpin of our success. I think we all said we need to strengthen the midfield but klopp knows best and knows what he wants those 3 to do, and no doubt they do it perfectly. Think souness said it best that that 3 bully teams and don’t let other teams play.

henderson Sums up our midfield and probably had the hardest job in football in taking over from gerrard and as a person he seem a genuinely brilliant bloke and fully deserves everything that he achieves in football

7. Parmomackem

Parmomackem Active Member

Perfect responses lads and makes me see it from a different way. Love too see another view on it. All spot on

johnsonsbaby and luvgonzo like this.
  8. jaffaklopp

jaffaklopp Well-Known Member

Proper captain. When he is on it, he is very disruptive, physical and energetic. He can have his passive games where he plays too safe, but those are few and far between these days.

9. Solid_Air 2

Solid_Air 2 Well-Known Member

I rate Henderson and have regularly defended him . Although Rodgers was open to selling him when Hendersons form pushed himself into first X1 contention Rodgers not only played him but he became a vital cog in the 2013 team to the extent that his red card against City led people on this forum to worry it could cost us the title (hello MITO ) . Once Rodgers lost the plot plus his injuries he lost his way but has re found it under Klopp and now is vital to the balance of the team and is an excellent captain .

10. saintKlopp

Still one of my favourite moments of the last few years.

11. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

I defended Hendo from the start, much like I did with Kuyt and Lallana; all players that showed great heart, desire and determination which I believe warrants patients from fans.

ademuzzy and johnsonsbaby like this.
  12. InBiscanWeTrust

InBiscanWeTrust Rome, London, Paris, Rome, Istanbul, Madrid
    Forum Moderator

yet you said Salah and coutinho were ****. Can’t blame us for not trusting your early judgements ;)

13. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

I never said either were ****. I said Salah was a Chelsea reject (still is) and I didn't want Coutinho because I wanted someone else, can't excel who now #facts

Not that any of that links to what I said in the post you quoted like

14. Jimmy Squarefoot

Jimmy Squarefoot Well-Known Member

He’s a model professional, works hard, great work ethic. I will always have questions over his ability and influence on the pitch.

But it’s irrelevant. He’s a CL and PL champion.

Zanjinho and johnsonsbaby like this.
  15. Solid_Air 2

Jim , you forgot the World

please log in to view this image

Bumps, Zanjinho, Parmomackem and 2 others like this.
  16. saintKlopp

Easily done.

17. Solid_Air 2

true <laugh>

the worst is that European Super Cup thing which doesn't even try to make a case for relevance except as a junket for EUFA officials .

18. lfcpower

lfcpower Well-Known Member

What has made Henderson 'Henderson' is his attitude to his own game by squeezing everything out of his good attributes, and a selfless approach within the team, and the old cliche of doing his talking on the pitch. I'm sorry but listening to him speak / as a speaker, I can't fathom how anyone could draw inspiration or motivation from the guy elsewhere <laugh> But maybe it's different in the dressing room

Jimmy Squarefoot and Zorba like this.
  19. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

Who was it on here that always calls (maybe now 'called') him Herrrenderson?

20. astro

astro Well-Known Member

Zanjinho likes this.