1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours Jon Walters

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by Scowey, Aug 29, 2018.

1. Scowey

Scowey Well-Known Member

Apparently signing on loan by tomorrow

I've been saying we could do with a 'Jonny Walters type wide player/striker' but didn't expect to go and get the man himself. Plus I doubt he could do the role wide right he did for us back in the day anymore, given he is now 34

Well at least he adds plenty of experience to a pretty green looking squad and has always been well liked for his incredible work ethic by fans and managers alike (except for Mr Keane) so will be a good war horse to have around the place and drive everybody on.

2. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

Well at least it will help appease those who've been banging on about us only signing inexperienced lower league players!

3. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

Would be better to have Ben Morris in the team. Madness.

4. Scowey

Scowey Well-Known Member

He is a better/more versatile option than Jerome at least so I can see some positives in that.

5. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

He's not, he's crocked.

6. Scowey

Scowey Well-Known Member

He's fit and available to play.. Has been since the early part of 2018. Just wasn't/hasn't been able to break into a high flying Burnley side. No Shame in that given their successes of last season.

7. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

I don't see how he fits into this Town side. I wouldn't play him up front on his own, I wouldn't play him out wide. Maybe he would do a good job off Jackson but then if we're going to play that way why not give Harrison or Morris a chance instead? Walters is not part of any long term solution, it smacks of desperation.

8. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

I've got a good feeling about this, much prefer Walters to Jerome. He has scored consistently in a Stoke City side competing in the Premier League over the past several years, and often scoring from out wide. He is a lot more physical than our current options and has the experience and leadership qualities that this team is arguably lacking. No idea how many games he can actually manage in a full campaign, but I think he'd bring a different dimension and goals to this team. As Yorkie says though, I am concerned what this means for the likes of Ben Morris? I know fielding too many youngsters can backfire, but surely this lad deserves more of a run out? I guess we cannot see what his attitude is like in training.

itfcptc likes this.
  9. Scowey

Scowey Well-Known Member

I expect he will probably get the odd spell from the bench if he stays with us all season. He is highly regarded by Klug (given he stuck him straight him when he was caretaker) and Hurst has spoken highly of him, so don't think he would have too many worries about putting him in if he was needed.

He isn't perhaps as physically prepared for the championship (from what I've seen) so a spell out on loan in L1 or L2 would probably do wonders for him, as similar to Folami they have a lot of technical ability, but it's the physical and mental endurance that's needed to perform consistently across a number of weeks and moths that they don't currently have.

10. itfcptc

itfcptc Well-Known Member

Think it could be a good signing. It's clear we're short upfront relying on 2 new signings from lower leagues, an off form Sears and youngsters. Whether played out wide or up top think it's a good option.

11. Westlake33

Westlake33 Well-Known Member

I need to consult the bookmakers opinion on whether this will happening before being prepared to add my 50 cents!

That aside......... 50/50 from me.

Like Yorkie - a little unsure how he'll fit in. I think he's at his best wide right - remember 07/08 with Counago / Lee uptop with Walters winning EVERYTHING in the air and being an absolute nuisance?

Not convinced by him as a #9 whatsoever though.

If he comes, have to see how he fits in.

fieldmarshall likes this.
  12. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

I realise that you and fieldmarshall lack the intellectual depth to understand the point on this one Westy, but if you find it amusing you crack on.

A long time ago - the last time he managed double figures was 2014-15 and it has been diminishing returns since.

Wickham was 16. Dyer was 17. Rashford was 18. Foden is 18. Morris is 19.

When we have such a crap first team, what is the worst that can happen in giving our youngsters game time? This goes for Town managers and fans alike, we need to have more faith in youngsters coming through.

13. Westlake33

Oh it's comedy gold that claim of yours had me in bits.

With you on Morris - I'd like to see him given a go :) Looks a talent.

14. Nuggets

Walters isn’t the most prolific of scorers, but seven to eight goals out wide in the Premier League can easily translate to double figures over the course of a Championship season in a more attacking side.

My concern is, as others have stated, his advancing years. At 34, he will not be able to play three games every week. I think he’s worth bringing in for that extra dimension up front, for his experience and leadership skills, and the fact that he isn’t a bad player. I wouldn’t take him on permanently though and we must continue to blood the younger strikers and provide opportunities to Harrison and Jackson.

15. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

I suppose my overriding feeling on this, Nuggets, is.. "Is that really the best we can do?"

16. Roystonblue

Roystonblue Well-Known Member

How about Steve Whitton. He won everything in the air when he played on the right wing as well

17. fieldmarshall

fieldmarshall Well-Known Member

As you say Westy comedy gold.

Westlake33 likes this.
  18. Nuggets

Given the options available out there for a loan move, we could do a lot worse? Wrong way to look at it arguably, but I don’t foresee us splashing the cash on a loan-to-permanent move for a third striker this window. I’d get Walters in as a stop-gap, at least until January. He should score goals at this level and I think his leadership qualities are desperately needed.

Scowey likes this.
  19. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Done deal... next!

Westlake33 likes this.
  20. Westlake33

Maintain he's better out wide, but knows the place. Welcome back Jonny lad.