1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Join me on the fence for TeamGB..

Discussion in 'Wales' started by The Bennifactor, Nov 3, 2011.

1. The Bennifactor

This debate has dragged on for nearly 4 years and it seems opinion is still split, perhaps against TeamGB more so than for not by an overwhelming majority though (that is a personal opinion and observation). It is interesting to point out that the only publicity shots so far, are of Gareth Bale and Aaron Ramsey, both of whom have publically stated they would like to take part. It does feel like pressure tactics from the BOA, where are the Scottish players like David Goodwillie or Darren Fletcher? Why aren’t Englishmen like Jack Wilshere and Phil Jones modelling the new TeamGB kit? It would seem that the BOA are pinpointing the FAW in particular as they have been the most outspoken recently (2 of the Premier League's hottest properties are Welsh). Adidas too are no doubt sticking their oar in, any chance of capitalist gain from one of their "walking advertisements" and a huge multi-national company like them will cash in and heap on the pressure the very first chance they get.

Many simply cannot bring themselves to trust Blatter and his bureaucratic cronies any further than they could throw them. You can't blame the FAW for being guarded. On the flip side you could point out that the FA have fully thrown their support behind TeamGB. However, ask yourselves why are England so confident? Do they have cast iron assurances? They have just as much (arguably more) proud footballing heritage and pride to lose as Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland combined, if fears were recognised and it came to losing our respective positions within FIFA. So if you look at it objectively, it does smack of stubborn nationalistic pride from the Celtic nations.

Put yourself in a young, ambitious, talented and British footballer's boots. Why would you pass up an opportunity like it? If you were their parent, would it matter? Wouldn't you be immensely proud regardless?

I fully support the British and Irish Lions Rugby team every 4 years and would do so for TeamGB, only if a few simple compromises were made, which would go some way towards making people a little more relaxed;

1. England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales should receive public and written airtight assurances from FIFA regarding the safety of their futures within the organisation. You do have to wonder why this has not been forthcoming earlier. If Blatter and his "1-2 backhand crew" gave their "word" and "assurances", surely a quick letter knocked up and run over with fine toothcombs by both side's solicitors would have surfaced in the past few years?
    2. Any TeamGB 1st XI fielded at the Olympics MUST consist of at least 1 player from each home nation so it can be actually a fair representation of TeamGB as opposed to TeamEngland which is guaranteed to be the underlying focus of all “redtop” tabloids next summer and a very large bone of contention with the Celtic nations.
    3.A new crest should be designed specifically for the TeamGB Football team incorporating all aspects of the home nations a la The British and Irish Lions. e.g., Thistle, Dragon etc... I feel the Union Jack is a sore point with the Celtic nations for a number of historical reasons this may go some way to alleviating the political stand-off. For god's sake, hold a competition for the school children of the country to design it!

Unfortunately though, the bureaucrats who run the BOA, FA, FAW, FIFA, IFA and SFA, are more interested in partaking in vol-au-vent and champagne buffets at Marriot hotels around the globe and pontificating on their soap boxes than realising what is and isn't good for the game. Ultimately, I believe both Bale and Ramsey amongst others may well represent TeamGB next year, irrespective of what is right or wrong and there is not a damn thing we as fans can do about it one way or t'other.
    Some people though (and one of whom I freely admit to being) are sitting firmly on the fence nodding their heads in agreement like the Churchill dog to valid arguments from both sides. Personally i'm of the opinion that football shouldn't be an Olympic event anyway as it already has it's own recognised World Cup, but that's a whole other kettle of fish. Anyway, It’s comfy up here on my fence and I ain’t moving!

2. DaiJones

DaiJones Well-Known Member

Sorry Benni but the fence can be an uncomfortable place.

I'll stay in the NO2TeamGB camp.

3. Scottswan

Scottswan Active Member

Good read Prophet.

I'm all for Team GB, but as you say, without written assurances that it wouldn't jeapordise our individual footballing teams then it shouldn't happen. All it would take is that, but I doubt it'll happen. As you say, if it wasn't the case that Wales have some tasty players, the English wouldn't care I'd imagine, as they could still field a better side. Bale is probably the only player they really want, maybe Rambo too.

It looks like they'll play, and, in fairness, I can't really see Wales, England, Scotland and Ireland being forced to merge, it'd cause way too much uproar. I must say though, normally I'm a big critic of the FAW, but I do feel for them in this case, they're being railroaded by their bigger cousins with bigger wallets and I don't think it's fair.

4. The Bennifactor

When did I merge into Proph then Scotty? ;)

5. Blue Prophet

Blue Prophet Active Member

Hiya Benni, as I have said before...............this Olympic thing is the thin end of a very big wedge, the FAW is a very small association........I don't particulary trust FIFA or EUEFA and I think they would shaft us with no second thought, lets face it we don't have the political or financial muscle...............remember the Russians playing an ineligible player? Only "little old Wales"..............would EUEFA have ordered a replay against Italy, Germany or Spain...............it would IMO be the end of Wales as an independent entity.

6. DaiJones

It was more like a morph than a merge

<yikes>

7. Swamp

Swamp Well-Known Member

great post benni <ok>

first of all, the reason jones and wilshere arent being photographed is because they will be going to the euros. goodwillie? he's not good enough to get in to the squad, and fletcher is overaged, the image they will be trying to portray is youth seeing as all but 3 of the players have to be under 23.

platini / blatter have both stated that the FAW's right to vote at fifa meetings and its independance as a football nation is not under threat if they support the GB team at the olympics.

dont agree at all to be honest, it should be the best players, whatever their nationality. bale and ramsey will get in, maybe mccarthy from wigan? ireland will take all their best players to the euros if they qualify against estonia, and beyond our best 2 players i cant think of anyone good enough, possibly allen and neil taylor if they are short on left backs, hennessey if they need to make up the 3 keepers, as there are no english keepers under the age of 23 in the PL, apart from hart. the best english under 23 players will go to the euros, the ones that may possibly miss out (walcott, sturridge etc) will be shoe ins, though there will be stern opposition from their club managers.

i think they will design an emblem to try and encorporate all emblems of the nations, i'm not that bothered why were not represented on the union jack but i can understand why it may annoy welsh fans.

i'd love to see team GB pitting their wits against other teams like argentina etc who take this competition seriously, it may be the only chance we get to see the welsh players at a major tournament (though i doubt it).

8. swanseaandproud

swanseaandproud Well-Known Member

all for team GB, we have the British lions, the england/wales cricket so why not a British team. its only once every 4 years so where is there a problem. people especially the welsh fa are creating problems that are not there and they have been told that by fifa, stuff the welsh fa and let the clubs decide,

9. Blue Prophet

Benni, that is scary.................more from your point than mine ;)

10. DaiJones

135 years of team Wales down the Swanie to get 2 players in a worthless competition.

Without looking can you list the last 5 winners ?

How about the last 5 winners of the word cup ?

11. Swamp

Swamp Well-Known Member

spain italy brazil france brazil?

12. DaiJones

Very good Swamp

But I asked for the Olympic winners first (without looking)

13. Blue Prophet

14. DaiJones

Just my point Proph, a worthless compitition.

Only getting all this fuss because it's in London, I can't remember Prem. players queing up to go to China.

And when TeamGB don't win the gold medal you won't get players queing up to go to the next Olympics.

Not worth even a small chance of losing our Welsh identity

15. The Bennifactor

I vaguely recollect nigeria in 96 (Kanu, Oliseh, Okocha and all that crew) Argentina? erm.....

God knows..

I agree with that point DJ, it's a pointless competition and as I said at the end of the article it's event I don't believe belongs in the Olympics considering it has it's own recognised World Championships already..

16. taffthefish

taffthefish Well-Known Member

I'm under the fence in a snug comfy world ignoring the whole debate because I can :) night night campers.

17. Welshman

Welshman Member

But don't 99% of the events at the olympics have their own world championships ?

18. Scottswan

Scottswan Active Member

Hah, I obviously meant Benni... whoops!

19. mustyfrog

mustyfrog Well-Known Member

if it is in writing that the 4 nations keep their individual status then y not or get a vote from EUFA or FIFA before the event

20. H bomb

H bomb Active Member

A question for the (clearly) more knowledgable on the subject than me amongst you.

If the 4 Home Nations compete independantly at e.g the World Athletic Champoinships, yet all come under the GB banner at the Olympics with no hassle, why is this debate only centered around the football team?

Is it political, business reasons or just paranoia on the part of FAW, IFA, SFA?
    To my mind if there was the slightest chance of the home nations losing independant status then you can bet the English FA would be OUT. If FIFA have given assurances then so be it. I know they don't come across as the most trustworthy of folk so I can understand certain associations not being convinced by a verbal reassurance so put it in writing and move on.

Initially, I was on the fence but I've recently slipped off (does that make me a splinter group? :D) on the side of Pro TeamGB. I have to be honest and say the football is probably the only Olympic event I'd purposely sit and watch so having some Welsh involvement will just add that little bit extra for me.
    Cornelious and Rambo have both expressed their desire to play for TeamGB so would the FAW' "Old School Tie" mentality hold this against them in some way if they did/do?