1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

John Ward sacked..

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by Caldicot Cider Red, May 8, 2014.

1. Caldicot Cider Red

Caldicot Cider Red Well-Known Member

2. MassiveAttack

MassiveAttack Well-Known Member

many forgot he got the sack at Colchester before joining the sags having a terrible record of defeats

3. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

I didn't realise they had either <laugh>

4. cidered abroad

cidered abroad Well-Known Member

He was never my favourite City manager by a long way. Even though he got us promoted, his signings of three strikers for some £3 million when we needed defenders was the major factor in immediate relegation.
    By the time we went down under Benny, many City fans had forgotten how Ward threw his toys out of the pram after a humiliating defeat at Ipswich.

And also for me, was his very irritating habit of calling us "this football club". That's because he actually never stayed very long at one club so used that term to ensure he never got the club's name wrong. Ever hear SAF, Wenger or Mourinho use that expression at their clubs?

5. Caldicot Cider Red

Caldicot Cider Red Well-Known Member

Still......he done us proud in the end eh?

6. cidered abroad

cidered abroad Well-Known Member

We should not gloat anymore CCR. What goes around, comes around and the boot could easily be on the other foot one day.
    How would we feel it it were us in their position? We'd be absolutely gutted and dreading how long it might be before we came back up.

7. Mind the gap!

Mind the gap! Well-Known Member

Getting moved upstairs is a polite sacking, a similar thing happened with Andy Hesentaler at Gillingham.

8. gdknac

gdknac Well-Known Member

I thought that at the time. Did a good job for us when he took us up late 1990s.I remember that we went all season at home losing 2 games (Gillingham and Fulham)and those were the only games I missed.We destroyed teams in the first 20 mins and usually had the game won by then.

Despite that, and playing with wing backs and a 3-5-2 set up, it didn't seem to sit well with the players and latterly things didn't work out next year. Remember he got a standing ovation from us away fans when we went to Wolves the following year where he became assistant.

9. banksyisourhero

banksyisourhero Well-Known Member

And oh how they would let us know about it... Even the Sags on here will readily admit we would have got hell had we got relegated.

Sorry, but it is simply your duty as a Bristol City fan to rip this for as long as possible..

10. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

The timing of John Ward moving upstairs at Rovers was just too strange to work out though. IMO it was asking for trouble

11. smhbcfc

smhbcfc Well-Known Member

The people to blame for the situation Rovers are in are the Board - of course they will sack everyone else rather than look at their own role in it