1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Joey Barton

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Heavy Metal Toon, May 27, 2011.

1. Jokes aside... i'm glad your fans are actually being reasonable with Joey Barton and seeing him for the player and the man he is rather than being dick heads that judge him on his past.

It's quite ironic that Sunderland fans are the 2nd highest admirer's of Joey Barton after Newcastle fans.

Anyway, i just want to ask... you don't seriously reckon you will sign Barton do you?

I know it would be a good addition to your squad but he's got a year left on his contract and he's staying, and i'm pretty sure after over 3 years at Newcastle.. a bit of hatred towards the Mackems would be in his soul by now. Not bloody hate, just typical derby day hate.

He's a legend at Newcastle and this season has been the season of his life, and i'm sure the last thing he'd want to do is risk losing the love of the fans that he used to play for by playing for you when his contract ends.

Just asking whether it's all just speculation or you really mean that you truelly want to sign him.

2. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

I don't think any of us seriously expect us to make a move, nor would we expect him to consider us if he did.

If you ask the question could we do with a player like him and WOULD we take him, that'd be a unanimous yes.

<ok>

3. Dorset

Dorset Well-Known Member

I'll be honest mate and say that I would love to have him at our club. He has the tough mentality that is missing from our team ATM (with the exception of Catts).

As for where his loyalties lie? Thats a hard one to answer, because he's a complicated character, but if I was a betting man I would say he doesn't give a **** about any club or anyone but himself. That's not a criticism of him, I just truely believe that that is in his make up and he won't change for anyone.

So would he cross the divide and sign for us? I think if Lee Clarke could do it, Joey Barton could certainly do it!

4. MrRAWhite

MrRAWhite Well-Known Member

He is a complete tosser who is also a decent player...I don't think that he will ever be a Sunderland player.

5. Bumblebore

Bumblebore Well-Known Member

I dont want him anywhere near our club! It saddens me how fans can let it slide that the guy is a grade A scumbag but its ok cos he's a good footballer! Barton shouldnt be allowed to play the game professionally and theres others too.
    Some of my mag mates keep telling me "but he's cleaned up his act this season" apart from punching pederson of course then laughably pretending he tapped him!
    Im pretty sure every person on these boards that are holding down jobs would be out of work sharpish if they did a fraction of what barton has done both at work and off work. The guys a **** and always will be. Stay away from SAFC!

6. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

On the fence a bit there mate, haway, yes or no, would you take him <whistle>

7. Chappaz

Chappaz Active Member

I don't think so at all. With many players you can usually tell when they don't give a ****, but every single piece of information about Barton I've ever heard clearly states that he loves the club, loves the city and loves the fans.

He's even willing to take a huge pay cut to stay here. How many football players would do that? Never mind the ones who are only ever interested in cash.

He's definitely his own man though, so he's never going to take any **** and he's always going to take his own route in life. However, he can have strong connections and loyalties like anyone else.

I mean he's even purposely made a Twitter account to stay in touch with the fans, and released his own statement about the contract situation to be read out. He obviously cares about what the fans think and doesn't want any incorrect views of him to start appearing. This is unlike some of our players *cough* Enrique *cough* who has made no effort whatsoever.

8. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

Yeah, i remember Mr 'punch the badge, i love it here, thus is home, found my utopia' Bent.

Means nowt mate, i agree that Barton seems committed, and he clearly appreciated the fans backing when his name was mud, but don't kid yourself he wouldn't take the bucks.

He wouldn't come here, but if the Liverpool tales are true, he'll be reunited with Carroll quicker than you can spot Jordans fake tits.

9. mackemwelder

mackemwelder Well-Known Member

TBH, I think Barton is a decent player, he's not class and he's certainly not England class either, his ego goes before him. He's one of those players who you love to hate cos he always turns in a good performance against you but would i like to sign him? YES, he'd be a step up for us, don't think he'd be a long term improvement but for next season he'd be a definite YES.

10. Tiote's Witch Doctor

Tiote's Witch Doctor Well-Known Member

Not really sure why you care what Sunderland fans think about our players, its provoked a decent debate though so fair play.

I would be gutted if he went to Sunderland, couldn't see it happening to be honest, mainly because he was the main cog in the machine that beat them 5-1, just couldn't imagine Bruce wanting him or him wanting to go there.

11. mackemwelder

mackemwelder Well-Known Member

JORDANS got fake bits? **** me, they're not real?

12. Zendens_Dance_Studio

To be honest I wouldnt have Barton here even if he was offered on a free. He is the player now that I can see Cattermole develop into in a few years time, hes pretty much the older version of catts. He is a decent premier league player who has an unreal game once or twice a season. So for me no. There are plenty of players like him around the globe who won't command that big of a transfer fee... The difference between them and him is, he is always in the media for right and wrong reasons whereas these other players just keep thier heads down and get on with thier job with no problems etc.

13. Chappaz

Chappaz Active Member

Stuff like that makes **** all these days. Pretty much every player kisses the badge and **** like that.

And I don't think he would take the money unless it was a massive offering. He's an intelligent bloke, and I don't think he's simple minded enough to be led like a dog at the sight of more cash. He's not exactly a young footballer anymore either. Older ones tend to have more maturity and focus less on hoarding as much cash as humanly possible. Save **** like that for the 18/19/20/21/22 year olds.

One thing about Barton is that he tells it like it is. No doubt about it. He wouldn't squirm around making **** up. He's spoken directly to the fans and said that he loves the club, loves the fans, loves the city and would even like to live here for good when he retires. I have no doubt at all that he would want to last out the rest of his career here, so much so that he's willing to take a LARGE pay-cut. Speaks for itself. Players like Carroll and Bent are absolutely nothing like him.

14. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

Thing is Chappaz, nobody THOUGHT Bent was like that either.

15. Chappaz

Chappaz Active Member

No one thought Bent and Carroll were like that no. But they were, and we all learned lessons from it.

However, I've never trusted a player more in this respect than I have Barton. It's just that no-bullshitting directness which I have some strong faith in. The things he's said and the actions he's taken are unlike anything players like Bent and Carroll ever did.

I genuinely think he seriously loves the club, the city and the fans to bits. He would love nothing more than to carry out the rest of his career here and lead us to better things. He's even willing to take a pay-cut to do it. However, the only downfall is that Barton and Llambias/Ashley REALLY really don't get along whatsoever. That much has been made obvious. He hates the people at the top, and they seem to hate him too.

16. mmickey1

mmickey1 Member

i'm sure the last thing he'd want to do is risk losing the love of the fans that he used to play for by playing for you when his contract ends.

A bit naive if you believe that.

17. Obertan's Rancid Toe

Obertan's Rancid Toe Well-Known Member

Didn't he recently say he wants to spend the rest of his life in Newcastle?

18. Cest Advocaat

Cest Advocaat Well-Known Member

19. Chappaz

Chappaz Active Member

20. Cest Advocaat

Cest Advocaat Well-Known Member