1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Joey Barton - the least likely Man Utd player ever? | Football, Manchester United

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Not606 News Team, Jul 24, 2011.

1. Not606 News Team

Despite Sir Alex Ferguson's proclamations that he has finished his summer spend, today's gossip columns are linking Manchester United with a move for Newcastle midfielder Joey Barton.

It is fair to say that the appearance of the story in the newspapers is by no means any validation of there being any truth in the rumour. But if it was true it would be a highly unexpected move by Fergie on several levels.

The Sunday Times says it would be "one of the most unexpected transfer moves" of Ferguson's reign. That is some understatement.

Firstly, there is Barton's reputation to consider. Every club has its discipline problems but, relatively speaking, Ferguson has always been pretty ruthless in shipping out any player he felt was bringing United into disrepute. It is part of the 'no player is bigger than the club' mantra that he has always stuck to.

That leads to the next issue. Generally, you have to be a certain type of player to succeed at Old Trafford. Perhaps quietly confident would be the best description. Shrinking violets - of which Barton is certainly not one - tend to get lost, but venture too far the wrong side of arrogant and you tend not to fit in either.

Then there are the City connections. Granted, the path between City and United has never had quite as much animosity as between Liverpool and United. But given the heightened rivalry of recent seasons - and the fun-poking that United fans had when Barton was busy getting into trouble at Eastlands - there must be some reservations about bringing in someone who came through the ranks at City.

There is a case for saying that Ferguson is the sort of disciplinarian under who Barton would probably thrive. But even if Fergie is able to look beyond all the pitfalls of a potential move for the midfielder, it is difficult to imagine United fans following suit.

2. Depay Sound

Depay Sound Well-Known Member

No thanks he's an absolute ****.

3. Swarbs

Swarbs Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

To me, all this story means is that the media have run out of good CMs to link us to...

4. Jason Hudson

Jason Hudson Member

Funnily enough, if he wasn't such a (insert word here) then he'd probably be an England regular. There was a time at City when he was as influential as Gerrard is for Liverpool.

5. sugchesterunited

I honestly do not get the hatred for Joey Barton. If you follow him on twitter you would see that actually he's a very intelligent fellow. He got 10 GCSE's when he left school, meaning he was in the top 5% of the country when he left. He might of been a bit of a dick at points but he's a very good player nowadays and I cannot for the life of me understand why Newcastle aren't renewing his contract.

That being said, I don't think he's good enough for United. He could do a fantastic job for some other lesser sides!

6. SAMOC

SAMOC New Member

I just think he is a **** footballer

7. SAF dried my hair

He has committed several acts of mindless violence for which he should serving a lengthy prison sentence right now. His tweets or gcse's don't change that. Hope this helps.

He's not even that good a player. Certainly not someone who I want to have any sort of association with the club I support. Hope this is just typical media bs.

8. SAMOC

SAMOC New Member

I would rahter drag mal donagey out of retirement than that dirty scally scouse tramp

9. stopthepress

stopthepress Member

There must be a decent young French or Brazilian defensive midfielder we could sign. Those 2 countries produce loads of players in that position.

Or if Nigel de Jong's stalling on a new contract, it might be worth a cheeky bid.

10. SAMOC

SAMOC New Member

rather have barton

11. Skylarker

Skylarker PL High Commissioner

Exactly.

You guys are/were in the market for a CM. Barton is possibly available. 1+1=3

12. merrysupersteve

merrysupersteve Active Member

People say he's not that good but is anyone seriously saying that he wouldn't improve our current midfield? Come on, have a look at them. They got outplayed by West Brom and Wolves on multiple occasions last year. Barton is good enough to walk into our CM imo.

He's still a **** though!

13. HRH Custard VC

HRH Custard VC National Car Park Attendant

Rodney from Only fools and horses had GCSEs, and he is a plonker :)

14. Alan

Alan Well-Known Member

What a load of nonsense

15. stopthepress

stopthepress Member

I have a feeling this might happen. Shades of Michael Owen.

May not be such a bad thing, as I think a defensive midfielder is more of a priority than a creative one.