1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Joe Mason sold.

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by hp_bedoboy, Jan 29, 2016.

1. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

Herald reports he was sold to Wolves for about 3 million and at 15% would leave Argle a nice wedge of 450K.......wondering if Brent will further strengthen the squad or have other ideas for the handy windfall?

2. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Windfalls... means 50% to pay-off the debt....if my memory serves me right.

3. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

I did wonder about that but wasn't sure but even so still an amount that would come in very handy.

4. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Now here is something to shock you..........word is that there would be no surprise if ALL of the windfall went to pay off debt and the team got NOTHING at all from it. It shocks me that somebody might suggest that of the nice man in charge. NOT.

5. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

Well I suppose the sooner we pay off the debts the better. ...:emoticon-0114-dull:

6. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Let me just check a second and see if PAFC is still in existence... if so, how can it have happened?

7. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

Seems like a very sensible thing to do (if true). Let me think, just imagine you have been in serious debt for several years and almost went bankrupt and then you receive a significant windfall that will take a considerable chunk off the outstanding debt (but still not clear it). Would you :-
    a) Pay off as much of the outstanding debt as possible
    or
    b) Pay off some of the debt, but blow the rest on non essential items

Seems like a no-brainer to me.

8. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

Players are an essential item i would think, so cant we have some of that pot for that..

9. lyndhurstgreen

They are only essential when you definitely need them. Interesting to know where you want/and are able to spend your £250k in order to:
    a) Buy/pay a player that is better than those we already have.
    b) Buy/pay a player who really wants to be here (regardless of where we end up) rather than someone on silly wages for 5 months in their hope that they will gain a promotion medal/add to their CV?

Incidentally this is not a pop at DN, who I happen to think is a good signing because he gets a tick for a) and possibly b)

10. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Well lets just spend every penny of every profit on a pasty on debt clearance only then and stay in this league. The problem I have with this Brent love in thing is that some people believe every word that comes out of him without question. Just to remind you it was that sort of behaviour that got us alll into trouble previously. Nobody doubted and nobody questioned anything. It was Bankers who put the World into recetion by their actions and by misleading the masses. Brent is a Banker at heart and just because he put his name to, not his wallet, Plymouth Argyle it does not make him a different animal to the others. Remember the words "50% of unbudgeted income would go to securing Brent's future profits, oh sorry, paying debt" that's half not all which if the above rumour is right makes that a lie.

11. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

It does seem that Cardiff will get their estimated £3million in instalments......meaning Argyle will also get their estimated 15% in instalments as well.....we're not sure over what length of time that will take.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
  12. lyndhurstgreen

How much have you had to drink sensible? Nothing to do with a Brent love in, but pragmatic management of the club. The bottom line is that PAFC still has substantial debts that need to be repaid (balloon payment, PCC and creditors). They also have other debts to JB and the often (unfairly) maligned Tony Wrathall. The priority has to be to pay the "official" debts off (otherwise we go bust again) and then hope that JB and TW are sufficiently content/happy with the state of the club that they dont see necessary to demand their 'investment' back. Seems to me that there are too many people with short memories around. The debt when JB took over was £3.47million it is now something like £750k to football creditors (including balloon payment) and a similar amount to PCC over the next 4 years or so. No idea how much we owe JB and TW but it is substantial-they may well be willing to postpone repayment for a while..... What do you really want to do with any spare cash?

13. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I don't want to get into another argument about the actions of the owner and rights and wrongs of it depending whose view point you are reading. Its pointless because there is no way we will all agree on the merits of the chap. I don't believe Brent was the only game in town and I don't believe he has done anymore than lend his name to the Club. I do believe it is the faithfulness of the supporters that has saved the day in the end and I for one refuse to be grateful to anyone else for any success. Apart from players and manager that is. Others think that point of view is wrong and I cannot think one will ever persuade the other to change their mind. I would add that I don't think we should spend what we don't have and run up a load of debt. However spending what we do have or at least some of it can't be a bad move and definately would not jeopardise the clubs future.

I posted the above before seeing your post lyndhurst but having now read it I see no reason to alter anything at all. I've had nothing to drink by the way.

14. lyndhurstgreen

Not trying to provoke an argument sensible. We all want better players and more success, but actually the most important thing is to ensure the future of the club by paying off he debts. The fact that we have a pretty good chance of promotion within the existing budget is all the better. I for one had no idea that there was sell on clause in JM's transfer, so it is a genuine windfall which would sensibly go to underpinning the stability of the club.

15. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

If Boateng returns before the window closes....I feel that that is sufficient to get us promoted.....fingers crossed of course on more injuries coming our way.

Paying off some of the debt will be more important.....Brent and Wrathall will have to wait for what they have loaned the club.....especially Brent who as owner should write it off anyway.

16. lyndhurstgreen

Thought we may have heard about Boateng by now. If he isn't here by late Monday i suspect we may have some late 'transfer day' action. Defence sorted with Forster, attack with DN, so just the midfield cover to be sorted...... as it happens I don't expect JB or TW would be looking to reclaim their outlay anytime soon.

17. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Have to say I don't quite get what Palace are playing at with Boetang. I know he's their player and all that and we are looking to borrow him but what is the point in stretching this out. He played 90 minutes recently so must be reasonably fit so can't see that as a sticking point. Pardew keeps hinting at things and then nothing happens. Either lend him to us or just say no you can't have him and stop all this farting about. We want him, I believe he wants to come, he will get game time here and not warm a bench and his development which is what it should be all about for Palace would happen. Just strikes me as a no brainer.

18. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

With Pardew hinting that Boateng will maybe go on loan during this window.....is he fishing around for a Div 1 or even a Championship team to show interest....before committing Boateng to Argyle again.....he is keen to come back and to win a Div2 medal (or whatever they get) and that would set up his career with a good foundation for the future.