1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours Jens Hegeler Signs

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by wizered, Jan 4, 2017.

1. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
    MassiveAttack likes this.
  2. MassiveAttack

MassiveAttack Well-Known Member

please log in to view this image

City announce first signing of the January window.

• Hegeler makes UK move to Ashton Gate
    • Midfielder boasts Champions League experience
    • German has penned a two-and-a-half-year deal
    City have secured the signing of Hertha Berlin midfielder Jens Hegeler for an undisclosed fee.

The 28-year-old midfielder, who can also operate in central defence, has signed a two-and-a-half-year contract at Ashton Gate after completing a medical.

Head coach Lee Johnson told bcfc.co.uk: “Jens has a fantastic pedigree and boasts more than 150 appearances in the Bundesliga.

“He’s a big, mobile and intelligent footballer who can slot into the midfield, as well as in a defensive role if needed.”

Hegeler will provide vital experience to City’s midfield, having played at the highest level in Germany with Bayer Leverkusen, Nuremberg and Hertha Berlin.

He has also played Champions League football, scoring a stunning free-kick winner for Leverkusen against Real Sociedad in 2013.

Hegeler’s deal at Hertha was due to expire this summer and City have taken the opportunity to sign the 6ft 4in midfielder during the current transfer window.
    Read more at http://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/article/...egeler-signs-3500677.aspx#sPy2efsV7pmPGk27.99

wizered likes this.
  3. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

Likely be in the range of less than £1.5m spent, will unless leaving before 2020 not attract a fee for moving on... as he will be 31

4. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

Amazing - one minute he's playing in the Bundesliga and the Champions League, the next joining us for our second tier basement battle in his 'dream move'!!!

Red Robin likes this.
  5. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

Will he and he alone save LJ's job ?

6. Redprintt

Redprintt Well-Known Member

Bloody hell, we're throwing money around like confetti.
    There will be an inevitable 'bounce', like there was August/September and another when Junior brings another shed load in in the Summer.
    Long term, Junior will have wasted the biggest war chest any City manager has had.

Ps - If GJ is still in employment Cheltenham will have even more of our squad.

Pps - 'Will he and he alone save LJ's job ?'
    Junior's assured, whatever our results, it's Lansdown who's doing everything to keep the runt employed saving his own silly face.

Red Robin likes this.
  7. TampaBayBCFC

TampaBayBCFC Active Member

And I thought that this news might appease a few of the Negative Nancys this morning...........

Looks like a useful signing on paper. Midfield needs to protect the fragile defense until they regain their confidence. Now need to convince LJ to let Taylor Moore loose in the team and not ship him out......

8. johngalleyfan2

his history isn't actually one that sets the world on fire... has had his moments also 3 years of loans and averaged 25 appearances a year since 2007 scoring a total of 8 goals, 5 of them before 2009

9. maga1810

maga1810 Member

Everyone around me on Saturday was saying we needed an experienced ball winning defensive midfielder who could impose himself on a game and how could LJ not see this. Within 4 days of the window opening he signs a 6'4" Bundesliga (Champion league) midfielder who can play centre half ticking all the boxes. I know only one player but surely the correct first signing.
    I am amazed he would come to Championship relegation battle - LJ as manager (head coach) would have been integral to persuading him, its one thing having the money it another thing persuading good player to join. I know people we say throwing money at it - but look at the forwards Cotts throw money at and could not persuade them to join!!!!!

10. BrightredRickster

BrightredRickster Well-Known Member

This looks to be a super signing.
    However, my doubts do not revolve around the players at City so much as the manager's ability to get them performing to their best

Red Robin and Angelicnumber16 like this.

11. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

Out new 6ft4in signing Jens Hegeler scored this injury-time free-kick in the Champs League..
    ( Snagged from Twitter)

12. johngalleyfan2

uuuuuum I would say " a what is needed type of signing," is probably as good as Gary O'nEIL was a couple years ago CAN PLAY ON THE RIGHT maybe plan is to replace one or 2 on this side of the field?
    When was the champs league game ? 2009?

13. BCFCRob

BCFCRob Well-Known Member

2013 actually.

14. johngalleyfan2

must be close to last goal he scored? but then not signing him as a goal scorer

15. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

Why has the guy come to a struggling championship side,fair play to whoever enticed him here.

We need same quality in goal,striking areas then i will start believing again.

Spot on regards RedPrintts comment SL is doing everything to keep LJ in his job.

As said gotta perform or you will be gone by mid Feb 2017 good luck, i really hope he can turn it around.

16. Tom_BCFC

Tom_BCFC Billy Bibbit
    Forum Moderator

Always love hearing about new signings, hope we see the best of this guy

17. gdknac

gdknac Well-Known Member

Sounds like what we need- I wouldn't be too worried about his goal scoring, Korey Smith has only ever scored 5- It the creativity and support to the defence that's important. I would expect someone like Tomlin to provide the creativity as well as Petterson,Freeman Bryan etc

18. Redprintt

Redprintt Well-Known Member

Rickster
    'This looks to be a super signing'
    I hope you're right, but we thought the same about £2.5million Engval.
    It will be interesting to see if he can get past the bench, as most of Junior's signings.

Red Robin likes this.
  19. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

The fee is rumoured on OTIB to be €300 so about £250k

20. Red Hub

Red Hub Active Member

Probably be played at right back knowing LJ.