1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

January transfer window

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by YorkieLancsHampyLondoner, Jan 14, 2020.

1. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard Josh Earl.

A sad day when we are developing talent for Preston but probably a trade up from Nsiala.

Blades are apparently in for Woolfy at £3m. The best defender we’ve had at the club for 20 years - frankly, if he goes for that we may as well pack up.

2. Fat Boy Slim

Fat Boy Slim Member

Maybe he will use the £3 mil from the sale of Woolfy to buy a can of Dulux to give PR the revamp that he has said it needs. One thing is for certain, it won't be going on getting fresh faces in.

3. Southcoastoldgaffer

Southcoastoldgaffer Well-Known Member

Yes, he is all over the Blades forum. Would be crying shame if he left, been the outstanding player this season, he is built to last and has an attacking style that gets at the oppo. Disastrous if it happens.

4. stretchyboy

stretchyboy Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure we'll turn down all offers for both Wolfy and Flynn...but, they will probably both leave if we don't get promoted.
    Evans knows there will be uproar if one of these goes, even at £20m (which is what they could be worth if we go up).

Southcoastoldgaffer likes this.
  5. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

I’ve been managing my expectations with regard to Evans and his transfer policy for years now.It’s the only way I’ve been able to deal with the slow leaching away of any player we have who shows a modicum of ability or talent. I expect Woolfenden and/or Downes to be off if any sort of firm offer is made.

fieldmarshall likes this.
  6. itfcptc

itfcptc Well-Known Member

£3 million in this market

7. Roystonblue

Roystonblue Well-Known Member

He’s a brilliant prospect and is the best centre back at the club but to say he’s the best we’ve had for 20 years is stretching it. De Vos would be number 1 for me. Berra when he 1st signed (as well as Chambers before MM turned him in to a right back)

8. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

You must be having a laugh. Berra? We've had McAuley, De Vos in that time. Berra is nowhere.

9. Roystonblue

Roystonblue Well-Known Member

Apologies, I forgot about McCauley. 20 years ago we did have Mowbray (just). Would love to have mogga alongside Wolfenden to show him positional side of the game

10. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

While Wolfenden is certainly not the best centre-back over the last 20 years on current form (he's certainly been patchy over our poor run of games), I'd agree that he is a very promising talent and he has attributes that suit modern day football. Selling him would be a mistake, particularly for the reported figure of £3m. If it's any consolation, Lambert has told the press that the figure is far too low and he'd never sell Wolfenden for that amount - so maybe putting a bit of pressure on Evans not to repeat the mistakes we made by selling off Webster and Matt Clarke for a low fee.

Josh Earl appears to be a replacement and upgrade on Toto Nsiala, which is completely fine by me as Nsiala has struggled this season and doesn't look League One quality. Another Hurst transfer that needs to be shipped out of the squad.

I don't think we'll be in the market for anyone, unless we sell someone or shift them off the wage bill. Jordan Roberts has been loaned out, which is a sensible move. I'd probably look to sell Danny Rowe or Dozzell, if we get good offers, and replace them. It'll probably just be more loans coming in though, such is Evans' reluctance to spend.

11. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

I was meaning after Burley really - McAuley, De Vos good middle top flight standard players but Woolfy COULD be a top player. If we don't get promoted this season then the best thing for his career would be to move on, because as nuggets alludes to, playing with these players at this level is doing his development no good whatsoever.

12. Bigalreigned

13. stretchyboy

We need a goalscorer...and quite urgently.
    If he's the best that's available, then I'd take him for the season.
    Norwood is made of glass, ollie can't hit a banjo with a barn door, Drinnan is not even L2 standard.... we have no one else to put the ball in the net

fieldmarshall likes this.
  14. Redruth

Redruth Well-Known Member

15. Nuggets

I read a stat somewhere that Will Keane has scored more league goals this season for Wigan (four) than the combined talents of Norwood (zero), Sears (one), Jackson (one), and Hawkins (one) between them. If that doesn't highlight the need to get in a goalscoring centre forward, then I don't know what will!

16. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

17. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Or maybe it indicates the issue is with how we coach and play and not with the ability of the forwards.

18. Bigalreigned

Absolutely,we might have the majority of possession in games but that’s mostly spent passing the ball across the back four or to a deep lying midfielder who immediately pings it back.
    We have no penetration or creativity at all so it’s no wonder our forwards are so ineffective.

19. stretchyboy

Probably a non mover know as Barton has left Fleetwood

20. Nuggets

Yeah, point taken. I still think three goals between our forwards over 18 league matches is a damning statistic. Despite the frequently turgid nature of our play, it's not like we fail to fashion goalscoring chances in matches (last couple of games aside). Hawkins is not a goalscorer and doesn't have the record to look back on. Sears looks past it and is still dining out on his reputation and form a few years ago. Jackson is struggling with fitness and Norwood appears to have lost interest completely. Do we really trust that lot to fire in the goals, even if we do create more opportunities? Or is it a case of throw Hawkins on to hold up the ball and rely on the likes of Bishop and Edwards to score more goals?