1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

January transfer window

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by Westlake33, Nov 1, 2018.

1. Westlake33

Westlake33 Well-Known Member

Going to start this a couple of months early - however thought a good discussion to perhaps get on the go.

What positions do people feel we need / how many do we think Lambert will bring in etc ?

How about the loanees - will any be terminated / can we / and get others in?

Could Nydam come back ( loan not working out ) and help us - is he good enough?

2. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

If I was Lambert, I think the priorities are a centre-back, a box-to-box midfielder, a left-winger, and two strikers. Other positions to be wary of are the full-back positions as Knudsen is out of contract in the summer and Kenlock does not look a ready replacement, while Donacien's ability at right-back remains to be judged and Spence and Chambers are clearly unsuitable in the position. So I'd argue Lambert needs five players (at the minimum) and arguably seven players to start building a competitive squad.

For the loanees, I think Pennington and Chalobah have been the most impressive (ruling out Donacien, who is apparently a permanent transfer). Therefore, I'd keep those but probably look to release Edun and Graham and actually target a better, more experienced left-winger on loan.

For the players we currently have out on loan, I'd argue Woolfenden, Nydam, and Morris are worthy of a shot in and around the first team. I don't think Emmanuel and Drinan are quite cut out for this level, based on their stalled careers. Nydam has struggled in Scotland, and would benefit from being back here, but I do think his inability to get into that first-team should put his current ability in perspective as I feel he is massively over-rated by elements of our fanbase.

fieldmarshall likes this.
  3. Mike_Holmes1990

Mike_Holmes1990 Well-Known Member

Striker and a left winger would be my priorities. Left winger being top of the list.

I would call Morris and woolfenden back, and get folami playing more. They would provided cover for forward positions and defence but not confident either Morris or Folami are goalscorers.

Left wing we have no natural fit at all.

That would fill the holes. All of the squad could be improved on though so would not be surprised if we had some more incoming

4. Scowey

Scowey Well-Known Member

Wouldn't be surprised to see Knudsen sold in January, what with his contract running out in the summer and if he doesn't have any intention of signing then we could try and flog him off to raise a few funds.

5. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

Knudsen will end up in the Premier League. He won't go in January, it will make it a lot harder for him.

6. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

I think we have to make do with the areas we can make do in.. the central defence and the wings we can get away with options in the squad because £10m is not going to go very far. The more players we bring in the more the quality of each has to be watered down and you'll end up with no better than what we have for £2m each less wages. The real missing pieces of the jigsaw are strikers and number 8 / 10 box to box or creative attacking midfielder.

For that attacking midfielder I would really like to see a top, top talent at the end of his career coming to Town and for the strikers one target man and one with pace.

7. fieldmarshall

fieldmarshall Well-Known Member

Does anyone honestly think that Knudsen is Premier League quality ? Sorry but I think hes barely Championship level.

Spanish, Nuggets, itfcptc and 2 others like this.
  8. Westlake33

Westlake33 Well-Known Member

Very hard to say. Depends what team etc. To be honest, no!

Did I think Damien Delaney was - not one jot. Proved he was with Palace. That's the issue.

9. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

He's certainly capable of it. Not one of the bigger clubs and not a big money move, but along with Bart he must be one of the first names on the team sheet. He has the right mix of experience and youth, he's getting international experience and he strikes me as another one of those players who isn't particularly valued at Town but would strengthen most squads.

10. Scowey

Scowey Well-Known Member

A big lump of a centre forward (with the ability to put the ball in the net) and a tricky left sided attacking midfielder are probably the bare minimum. Ironically (a fully fit) Jonny Walters and (a fully fit) Jonny Williams would add plenty to this side overnight. An additional striker would also be useful.

I'm not sure central midfield is such a priority (given the glaringly obvious issues elsewhere) as we at least have quantity even if we could increase the quality. The same can be said of full backs as they are at least functional at this level and based on the past 2 or 3 seasons are perfectly competent.

Ideally I'd like us to sign Sam Gallagher from Southampton, though it would probably have to be on loan but think he has a bright future and would suit our style of play nicely.

Alhare likes this.

11. Roystonblue

Roystonblue Well-Known Member

Is Sam Parkin still around? - he was a big lump of a centre forward as was Gerry Crainey (loan from Man City back in the day)