1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

January transfer rumour mill

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by stretchyboy, Dec 18, 2018.

1. stretchyboy

stretchyboy Well-Known Member

Updated - We are now at that stage where we will now be linked with everyone and his dog.
    Already the names are starting to be thrown out there for possible recruitment.
    Currently on the list is;
    • Rudy Gestede
    • Darryl Murphy
    • Carter-Vickers
    • Ben Marshall
    • Crouch
    • Liam Bridcutt
    • Simon Dawkins - SIGNED ON SHORT TERM CONTRACT
    • Callum Elder (Leicester U-23 left back) - SIGNED ON LOAN
    • Will Keane - SIGNED ON LOAN
    • Anthony Pilkington
    • Collin Qarner - SIGNED ON LOAN
    • James Collins - SIGNED ON SHORT TERM
    • Allan Judge - SIGNED ON SHORT TERM
    Don't know much about Marshall, but Gestede and CCV, yes please (although i'm sure Gestede will get better offers) Murphy, for me, no thanks (plus i can't see Forrest letting him go)

I'll update the list as and when (which could be quite often atm)

Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
  2. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

I don’t want to see us bring loans in.

I’d rather spend that money on signing a right back or a striker and give Woolfy, Morris and the like some game time.

3. stretchyboy

In an ideal world Yorkie, i agree. But the problem we have, is that we are bottom of the table, and not a very good option for decent players to come to.
    Unless ME throws money at them, and puts in a relegation clause, then i cant see us attracting many on a permanent basis.
    I'm happy with loans, with the option of signing if we stay up - that way gives them something to play for

Westlake33, itfcptc and Nuggets like this.
  4. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Loans from Premier League clubs are expensive. All those times we didn’t sign players because of their wage demands but are happy to pay £5k or £6k a week to four or five players; it doesn’t make any sense unless as you suggest we sign them permanently. We are never going to get Carter-Vickers to sign for Town at the moment. Murphs has aged and lost his edge since he left Town. Doesn’t look the same player now.

5. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

I would also prefer a squad with as few loan players as possible and an emphasis on playing young players. We have the chance to do this at the start of every season, but we appear to have a model where we are reliant on one or two loan signings to help improve the quality of the squad (see Lawrence, Celina, and Connolly) in recent seasons. Unfortunately, we have been unable to bring in any real quality via the loan market this window and repeat the trick, which has typically helped disguise the lack of quality in-depth in this Ipswich squad.

As Stretchy outlines above, we're not in an ideal position to start attracting quality and, despite the reported £10m transfer budget for Lambert this January, our esteemed owner has unsurprisingly limited Lambert to loans. I wouldn't be surprised if our January business consists almost entirely of loans. That's not a criticism of Lambert, who has already bridled against the existing wage structure at the club, but a criticism of our owner who has somehow avoided a majority of the fans' ire for his time at this club. Despite the complete lack of progress and development we've made under his ownership and his record of asset-stripping and under-investing in this club over the past several years.

The current list of rumoured targets do not fill me with much hope, but most, if not all, offer improvement to our current squad, which further underlines the state of this club and poor recruitment decisions made since the summer.

fieldmarshall likes this.
  6. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

My fear is we try and get a “big name”signing in on loan and because they’ve not been playing regularly we end up with another Walters situation and they get injured and we’re back to square one.Far rather we build for the future with lesser permanent signings.

7. stretchyboy

I don't think it's time to start building for the future, not til about March/April when we'll have a better indication whether we'll go down or not.
    We need a few proven players, and ones that are injury free. Desperate times call for desperate measures.

8. Westlake33

Westlake33 Well-Known Member

Do whatever we can to stay up.

Loans ARE expensive, however we drop we're going to be losing £6.5 mill a year interms of tv + media revenue. We've then got to comply with the 60% wages based on turnover league 1 + 2 demand ( though some contracts are exempt, think first year ones..... ) + likely lost gate revenue.

£3 mill for a chance to save £7 mill lost revenue? No brainer. Get the loanees in.

itfcptc likes this.
  9. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

It’s not just the wages Westy. By cultivating our own players instead of Premier League clubs’, we will create more Wickhams, Cresswells and Mings... we only need to do one of those per season to turn the loss into a profit.

10. Westlake33

Westlake33 Well-Known Member

Yes well no one is being ' cultivated ' this season I'm afraid, so like others, I'm quite happy to get some quality in on loan.

Badly need it or we're down. Current squad not good enough to survive.

11. stretchyboy

At this moment in time, i don't think we're in a position to start blooding in the youngsters too much. Absolutely give them a chance, but we are in a desperate situation, and, as Westy says, we need to do whatever we can to get some victories. If that means throwing money at a couple of (decent) mercenaries, then i for one don't care - i don't want to see us in the 3rd division next season.

Lets get this season out of the way, stay up, and THEN Lambert can start afresh and playing the youngsters a lot more.

12. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

None of us do but it's likely to be the reality I'm afraid.

The season is a write off from the perspective of the table for this season but to make the most of it we need to improve the squad with a couple of additions, have the opportunity to finish strongly and be a force next season.

The saying goes that "the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

13. stretchyboy

That's a very defeatist attitude - there's still 72 points to play for.

I tell you what, i'd hate to be in the trenches with you LOL...

fieldmarshall and Westlake33 like this.
  14. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Fantastic, we can still get to 86 and get promoted then can't we?

15. stretchyboy

Now now Yorkie, behave ;-)
    I agree it will be tough to stay up, but you can't give up, especially with so many games left. We only have to win two more games then 3 of the 4 teams above us...doesn't sound too difficult.

itfcptc and Westlake33 like this.
  16. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

It's not a case of giving up. You still try to win as many games as possible.

But instead of getting loans in you sign a couple of players and blood some of the younger ones. You give the likes of Lankester, Woolfy, Dozzell, even Morris, Cotter and others a bit of game time instead of developing a Chelsea, Fulham or Man City player.

Otherwise in the summer there's still a striker shortage, no full backs, no creative midfielder and it's wholesale changes needed and all the same problems repeated.

17. itfcptc

itfcptc Well-Known Member

We need a couple of loans in January.

Funnily enough I think Crouch might be a good option. We need characters to get out of this and he's certainly one, something similar to when Bullard first came on loan.

I so hope we stay up as we've got so many good youngsters coming through, we need to give them a platform to develop them with a good manager as I believe we have currently.

Westlake33 likes this.
  18. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

"The public gets what the public wants."

Everyone has been critical of the way the club has been run and seemingly most of you want it to continue that way.

19. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

How can you say in one breathe you want an old timer on loan like Crouchy to take a place in the side and then in the next that we need to give youngsters a platform to develop?

Crouch is a great character and I can see the benefit of having him in the dressing room although I don't think he would contribute many goals. But if we stopped the loan carousel we would have both that platform to develop youngsters and have the wages and space in the XI for some of our own characters in the dressing room.

20. itfcptc

itfcptc Well-Known Member

Because in the short term we need quality/characters, we are in a dire situation and we wont be an attractive to permanent transfers, I would seriously question why someone would want to come here on a permanent transfer currently unless they are from the lower leagues (which we don't need anymore of) so unfortunately i think loans are our only option.

If we go down who knows what will happen to our talented youngsters, but if we manage by hook or crook to stay up this year with the manager we have I think it can only be a good thing for the development of our youngsters

fieldmarshall and Westlake33 like this.