1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours Winter 2024 Transfer Window

Discussion in 'Leicester City' started by THE FOXES 1884, May 5, 2016.

1. BigFox

BigFox Well-Known Member

I personally wouldn't spend that on an unproven 19 year old over someone established at this level.

Am surprised we haven't gone for Tah - Congerton knows him from when he was at Hamburg and is available for less.

2. leicester_ed

leicester_ed Well-Known Member

I’ve never been this keen on the ‘unproven’ argument - you can get a pretty good idea at any level for how good someone is.

don’t get me wrong - I’m not claiming to have ever seen Fofana play - but we engage been linked with him for a while now and sometimes if it’s the right player there is nothing wrong with overpaying a bit. Particularly if they are young enough to be around for 10 years.

3. nzfoxfan

nzfoxfan Well-Known Member

and thats how we signed Diabate, Musa and Ghezzal. sorry to be negative but in these hard financial times we should go for proven performers. i love the thought of going for youngsters like Fofana but in these though times if we can get Tah then that's who we should go for.

BigFox likes this.
  4. Foxy in Foyle

Foxy in Foyle Well-Known Member

Proven is often good but arguably we signed Mahrez, Kante and Vardy who weren't proven and they all turned out to be 'ok' <cool>

We usually look for players to develop and who's value will increase rather than established players at the same price whos value will not. Sometimes neither work out.

I understand why we'd be interested in Forfana, Tarkowsi or Tah. All fit the bill but in different scenarios.

At present I'll just be grateful if we sign one of them.

MARTIN IS BACK AGAIN likes this.
  5. FosseFilberto

FosseFilberto Pizzeria Superiore and some ...
    Forum Moderator

Mate... this is Fofana's third season in the first team, he's hardly unproven ... he is a real talent and no mistake ... he'll be worth double whatever we pay for him in a couple if years... as much as I rate James Tarkowski, he won't.... it will be a real coup if we can get Fofana

6. BigFox

BigFox Well-Known Member

30 odd first team games over 3 seasons is not experience.

Soyuncu played over 90 first team games over 4 seasons and it still took him a season with us to get ready for the first team - we need a CB to go into the team straight away and however good Fofana is, we will be breaking our transfer record for a kid moving to another country who very likely still lives with his parents and doesn't speak English.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
  7. leicester_ed

This ‘unproven’ argument... nothing proves Tah over Fofana at all. I’m hoping Fofana comes in on the basis he is first choice and will be around for 10 years and seems to be the one our scouting team most want

8. BigFox

BigFox Well-Known Member

If you are comparing the two players then Tah is only 5 years older at 24 yet he has played almost 200 more games then Fofana for better clubs in a much better league. He is also has 10 international caps and was also in the Europa League squad of the season.

As we only have 3 fit CBs, I would rather have someone proven rather then potential and spend the rest of the money on a new LB - but like you said, there must be a reason why our scouts want him so much so will just wait and see.

9. FosseFilberto

Forum Moderator

I'd take them both tbf ... we could then play 3 at the back with wing backs as an option if it suits ... need to build strength in depth, as last season all too painfully proved...

10. BigFox

BigFox Well-Known Member

We are linked with 25yo Swiss CB Manuel Akanji from Borussia Dortmund - not sure why he would leave being first choice in a Champions League side for us but that's the rumour.

Evans hasn't signed a new deal with us yet - he contract is up at the send of the season and apparently wants to see if we do sign a new CB and where he'd be in the pecking order before making any commitments.

11. BigFox

BigFox Well-Known Member

Being reported we have had a bid for Fofana accepted - over £30m + addons apparently.

Darnell Johnson has gone to Wigan on loan.

Looks like we are just going to cut our losses on Slimani - is being reported that we will mutually terminate his contract as no one wants to bid for him.

12. LeicesterWizard

LeicesterWizard Well-Known Member

Offer accepted, looks like Brendans got his prime target

13. leicester_ed

Terrific news and well needed.

next issue: we look best with a back 4 rather than 5 - will he replace Evans it Soyuncu? So many games this year that rotation will be key but interesting to see who is first choice

14. FosseFilberto

Forum Moderator

Really excited by the Fofana signing, if true ... a beast ... and will get better and better in the years to come <cheers>

nzfoxfan likes this.
  15. nzfoxfan

nzfoxfan Well-Known Member

Have to agree, could be one of the most exciting signings ever and a real statement of intent. I think the most exciting bit was his eagerness to join us and that was well before we won three from three. Be interesting to see if we go with a back three or we rotate but either way very exciting. And we still have Under to come in as well..

16. LeicesterWizard

LeicesterWizard Well-Known Member

He seems to be comfortable on the right side of a back 2 or 3, so will probably take over from Evans if we are only playing 2 at the back. Don't think it will happen initially unless Evans is actually injured after coming off vs Man City.

Think Rogers prefers a back 5 to allow the full-backs forward more often, and with the full-backs we have it makes sense, so wouldn't be surprised if all 3 play more often, with Amartey and Wes as backup

Could spell the end (or another loan) for Benkovic, get him to Fulham for the season, Tony Khans desperate!

Soyuncu will still be considered first choice and used in the most important games, probably rested for cups/ dead rubber Europa games.

But the most important thing is, is he going to be called "Little Wes" or "Big Wes Jr"? <laugh>

17. BucksFox

BucksFox Well-Known Member

Benkovic has become the 'nearly man'. Whenever we needed him he was never fit, and now he's fit we don't need him. We'll probably never know how good he could have been. From not having enough central defenders we've now got more than you can shake the proverbial stick at. Amartey still looked pretty useful against Man City, so opportunities for some of those competing for that position could be few and far between. It would be good to see him in those not so difficult Europa League games - if there are going to be such things - just so we know what we have.

18. FosseFilberto

Forum Moderator

Amartey was great at Citeh ...

19. Foxy in Foyle

Foxy in Foyle Well-Known Member

Benkovic is an odd one, Brendan obviously rated him at Celtic as he was first choice but he's not looking to use him here. Perhaps he considered he was good enough there but not PL standard.

If Fulham want a good defender (they do desperately) I'm surprised they've not looked at Simpson, I'm mystified he's still without a club.

20. BigFox

BigFox Well-Known Member

Lot of noise about us signing Manuel Akanji - for all of my poo-pooing this deal, it looks like it might have legs.

We are linked with 21yo DM Ibrahima Diallo again.