1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

It can't be luck, can it ?

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by Redprintt, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Redprintt

Redprintt Well-Known Member

Did we play Villa at the right time as we are Leeds this w/e ?
    Was it luck that Junior's club captain and chosen C H ,Wright, to come back 'tired' from Australia allowing Flint, our best CH, back to help win it at Reading and Norwich.
    Would Reid still be battling for a place in midfield if any of Djuric or Taylor been fit or the costly Engvall been up to it.
    Having a dodgy CV and yet most money afforded a BCFC manager ever, is that lucky ?
    Is it all down to good fortune this Monday morning - and dare I ask if Burton are the first to punch a hole through Junior's veneer.
    It's difficult these days looking from a bedroom window but well, it would be rude not to ask.

2. Supcon72

Supcon72 Well-Known Member

It could be, just as had some of our players not missed absolute sitters in games last season our bad luck run may not have occurred. We will never know, you can only beat what's in front of you

3. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

Success always has an element of luck to it; being in the right place at the right time - I should know - I've built a reasonable career on the back of overhearing a conversation between 2 people whilst sat in a toilet cubicle back in 1988!
    It's how you deal with the luck that counts.
    The luck begins by being born a Human Being, in Western Europe, at a time of relative peace and prosperity.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
    oneforthebristolcity likes this.
  4. Oldsparkey

Oldsparkey Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Ahh, what can be gleaned whilst eavesdropping behind closed bog doors - were you cleaning them at the time?

Anyway, glad your career wasn't just a flash in the pan. <ok> :emoticon-0105-wink:

Being born into Western Europe and England in particular could be said to be fortunate, but the playing field is far too level. Although many opportunites present themselves, they usually have a multitude of suitors competing.

The real opportunists are born of third world countries and they are the real success stories - that's why I'm glad I'm Welsh.......<laugh>

5. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

this season could be the weakest division for many years, that will pan out if points won are more evenly spread from 6th to 20th about 15-18pts, [ in 2012/13 it was 12, City Wolves and Peterbro on 54pts relegated, Cardiff, Hull and Palarse 5th on 72pts promoted, 6th had 68pts] Another indicator a variety of 12 or more teams vie for the places 3-6 ( staying there for half a dozen games or so)
    or
    this season could be that it has some very strong teams as yet to be seen? maybe Wolves is one of them, able to combat the skills and money that were demoted from the prem and teams rising from Div 1
    Have we seen the best of Villa? Middsboro, Leeds, Derby and Hull ... Will the likes of City, Cardiff, PNE, Sheff's U and W, Norwich and Fulham manage to maintain a consistency of greater than 1.8pts a game? Will Sunderland suddenly awaken and storm to the top 6?

Luck? that is nowt to do with it, luck/unlucky is when the goalie has it covered and it takes a deflection or the wind intervenes or the ref / linesman sneezes and misses a ???

6. johngalleyfan2

unfortunately Wales is not third world, the population explosion takes years not days... and you have to many sheep....

7. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Kinell JG2 - how many more stats can a man take
    Yes, but the sheep aren't very entrepreneurial.

8. oneforthebristolcity

oneforthebristolcity Well-Known Member

Could be also said that last season we had lots of bad luck!! If it is then let’s hope it continues!!

Redprintt likes this.
  9. johngalleyfan2

they are a sign of wealth in third world .. they don't have many per capita of population!

10. bcfcredandwhite

2 chaps were talking about a vacancy in the Computer Operations department which I hadn't seen advertised. I fired an old-fashioned memo (remember them?) to the HR department immediately. I happened to know the VERY sexy PA to the IT director, so I got her to smuggle me a copy of the exam that was to be part of the selection process. I learnt the exam questions and passed with flying colours. From that moment I became a model IT professional........
    Like I said, life occasionally throws luck your way, but you need to grasp it with both hands or the moment will pass and may NEVER return.

Luck is a fickle mistress (who said that?) and she will leave you for someone else like a change in the direction of the wind.

11. smhbcfc

smhbcfc Well-Known Member

What did Gary Player say - something like "the harder I practice the luckier I seem to get"

Supcon72 likes this.
  12. johngalleyfan2

not really stats is it? opinion and argument..
    the argument is "is it luck?" so you need to be able to answer based on an opinion.. yes no maybe 3 obvious choices.
    RP gave an opinion as to why he thinks as he does... and calls it luck?

I expressed my side as part of the regular reoccurrences that have been observed over the past few years. ( past history or if you wish stats from the past, life is one long stat) I based on my opinion as to why I think LUCK /UNLUCKY is not the reason for now!
    most of RP's "luck" is really coincidences, as you can hardly call it luck to be injured, or totally knackered from travelling halfway round the world.

I am with RP on the Burton result, I did highlight it as a possible when I said about "getting carried away with a goal avalanche" iat.( also stated in another article we have a number of sticky papers / wrappers that always seem to cause us problems like a lack of points! like teams at the bottom... teams we need to neutralise)

13. Cliftonville

Cliftonville Well-Known Member

Because that is not luck. Luck is an uncontrollable.Good teams/sportsmen will over a extended period of time be affected by luck in equal measure as bad ones. Freddie Sears non goal v City is Liverpool, Pepe Reina and that balloon. Random but quantifiable.

smhbcfc likes this.
  14. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

It will be interesting to see the results and performances of the next 2 games. Will it be deja vu like last season and have we already peaked ?

15. johngalleyfan2

I am away, to where the net has not really reached and last time up there never got a phone signal for over a week so will miss the next 2

16. bcfcredandwhite

I'm in Benalmadina for the Leeds game - hope it's on BEIN Sports then the local bars will be showing it :)

17. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

Haha @Oldsparkey you had to question him. Now you have been told by Mr Stat man <laugh>

18. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

:emoticon-0126-nerd::emoticon-0126-nerd:..................<laugh> :emoticon-0105-wink:

19. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

You know what they say “never invite a vampire to your home” well mate I’m sorry to say but you’re for it now <laugh> <laugh>