1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Is there something wrong with our training? So many players always injured.

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Chelsea Pensioner, Sep 25, 2020.

1. Chelsea Pensioner

Chelsea Pensioner Well-Known Member

Is it just me or does anyone else think we have far too many injuries? Niggles I'm talking about, not the long term knees and archilles. Ziyech, Pulisic etc out for weeks with little more than knocks, many at training.
    Time to investigate training in my book, this shouldn't be happening, and should be cleared up quicker.
    Never used to happen like this in the past, maybe our medicos need an upgrade. What's the point of a Ziyech who spends the first 6 games injured in training??
    Somethings not right and needs looking at.
    While on injuries, looks as if RLC might be moved on loan or sold. What a frustrating player. Now 23ish, he's been the 'next big thing " for so long it's time he either put up or pissed off. I watched him lots of times in the youth team and my thoughts are he was a really impressive box to box player. In the senior team he's never been allowed to play to his strengths and looks a shadow of the youth player that absolutely pounded oppositions with his running and power. Big loss , but if he's not played properly, a move might show him to be another who got away. Good luck to him, even on one leg he's better than Jorginho.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
  2. Bullet tooth Tony

Bullet tooth Tony Well-Known Member

CP... Ziyech got injured in the Brighton friendly methinks. Training has to be competitive and on occasions some will pick up knocks, its the rub of the green most time just look at the any other team they all have their problems,.... Time to investigate...No way Pedro. Cleared up quicker, what on earth are you talking about? So..RLC has been injury prone for a while now and for my money is not quick enough for premiership level, true he has got the skills but has not the dynamism of many others, to many to mention. Strangely enough you may have hit on a better option for him, that is to be played deeper like in front of the defenders like Jorgingho, he would surely be a more positive player than him and maybe start to use his rather considerable bulk. (Big thing...see above) to better effect. Tactics wise we would all like to see Frank making perfect choices every time we play, but he also is on a learning curve just like the players are. He got us CL football on a whim last year my money is on he will go one better this year.

3. Chelsea Pensioner

I get your point, what I'm saying, badly, is our training contributing to injuries? My local team used to get far too many hamstring and calf injuries. They brought in a muscular- skeletal expert who soon found out the training routine was stressing players lower backs incorrectly and their hamstrings kept popping. I guess you're right Chelsea would be on top of that stuff.
    I'd love to see RLC play the way he did in the youth team, he had a bit of Ya Ya Toure about him, big and strong and dynamic. Drew defenders to him and opened up spaces for our other attackers. Just hope the young man makes a career for himself and achieves his potential.
    ps Just read that Pulisic is being given a detailed personal training routine to try and counter the recurring injuries he has been suffering.That's what I was on about.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
  4. The Ginger Marks

Arsenal had a similar problem under Wenger, I think our problem is just bad luck as we are only two games in but hey, time will tell if your suspicions hold water.

5. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

Yup - I kinda have a theory about this..(bare in mind I used to work as a S&C coach)

At Arsenal Wenger was interesting because he implemented strict rules about diet, sleep and about anaerobic requirements when he first came into the Club back in 1997/8.
    He did however inherit/build his title winning sides around large naturally athletic players who were clearly well equipt physically to handle the rigors of the English Premier League.

Despite being progressive in many ways he also had some old fashioned ideas one of those being 'he wasnt keen on weight training'.

Of course sports science progresses and new coaches came in but Wengers reluctance to incorporate real strength training and obsession with running anaerobic threshold type conditioning was a big reason for our constantly injured squad. Especially post 2006-2007 as he started to build squads around smaller more technical ball playing footballers.

When Mourinho came to Chelsea one of the big changes he made was putting alot of enthesis on strength training. He and his coaches actually did the opposite - lots of lifting. Power and strength training several days a week and even encorporating things like hot/Bikram Yoga. If I remember correctly as well that first title win 2005/6 most of the starting 11 stayed fit all Season.

I think when you get alot of injuries, you have to look at what the coaches are doing and how the players are training. Too much running, twisting and turning and not enough strengthening and stability is a common problem in football.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
  6. Chelsea Pensioner

Well said. It's what I was thinking but not able to explain properly.
    Can I add that sometimes certain players have specific problems, often hamstrings. Then the coaches have to modify their training from the others to reduce the cause of the problem and hopefully eradicate repetition.

TheBear likes this.