1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Is there a shortage of top quality strikers?

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by Canary Rob, Aug 25, 2015.

1. Canary Rob

Canary Rob Well-Known Member

Sorry, another article from me... busy at work!

We are far from the only team struggling in our apparent search for a striker, and plenty of others are being criticised for not searching.

I just checked a random season (06/07) to look at the top-scorers and this is the list:

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Manchester United

Fernando Torres
    Liverpool

Emmanuel Adebayor
    Arsenal

Roque Santa Cruz
    Blackburn Rovers

Robbie Keane
    Tottenham Hotspur

Benjani Mwaruwari
    Manchester City

Aiyegbeni Yakubu
    Everton

Dimitar Berbatov
    Tottenham Hotspur

Carlos Tevez
    Manchester United

John Carew
    Aston Villa

Jermain Defoe
    Portsmouth

Wayne Rooney
    Manchester United

Nicolas Anelka
    Chelsea

Gabriel Agbonlahor
    Aston Villa

Steven Gerrard
    Liverpool

Michael Owen
    Newcastle

Now they are not all world class, but there are some fantastic names in there. And I don't even think that's a particularly great season. This year you've only really got Aguero and Diego Costa who could reliably compete on that list. I don't think we're the only team to be wondering where we can find a decent guy to put the potato in the sack.

2. tipsycanary

tipsycanary Well-Known Member

Firstly, I think the style of play and tactics has changed a lot with less reliance on a strikers to score goals (clearly it is still important) and more emphasis on having a flexible forward line which incorporates attacking midfielders. As the majority of teams now play one up top it is likely there will be less strikers in the traditional sense. I'd imagine more goals are coming from other positions then ever before.

Secondly, there are plenty of players who could would compete on that list. Some of those players are still playing. People often look back and think how great those players were and Im sure in 10 years time people will do that about the current generation.

Basically the role of a striker has changed and evolved over the years and there is much more emphasis on a team approach and flexibility.