1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Is Pogba Worth £70m?

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by cytrax, Jun 9, 2016.

1. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

The price keeps going up according to the papers (if we are to believe them). It now stands that we have to pay £70m to get him. Personally, I am not a fan of stupid money spent on players. Pogba is good and surely has racked on his marketability with his crazy hair styles. But I would hate for us to spend £70m on him.

Reminds me of Real getting Bale for £85m. Today, he is still called most expensive player in the world rather than "The best player in the world". This is why I think the money spent is silly against the returns.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
  2. Sweats

Sweats Fat lives matter
    Forum Moderator

Yes.

3. StanDMan

StanDMan Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Bale & Pogba two different stories. Pogba will be worth every penny. 70m is a steal tbh.

4. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

Not that different from effectiveness perspective. To that regard, I think Bale was better than Pogba at 23 in the sense that he was more explosive. His last year with Tottenham has been the best year of his career so far. He scored 21 league goals that year and 26 in all. But it wasn't even the goal count, it was the manner in which he scored them. But since joining Madrid, he seemed to have had to contend with living in Ronaldo's shadow.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to have Pogba in the Premier league. I don't don't get how £50m has turned to £70 within few weeks. But it looks like Pogba would end up in Madrid as well.

5. StanDMan

StanDMan Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Yep.
    At Spuds Bale was the king in his last season under AvB and at Real,Bale is another pauper.
    No one can co exist with Cristiano, let alone thrive.

But Pogba is more like Busquets + Pirlo + Lamps + Scholes.
    Pogba is rare of rarest breeds. Ball playing Central / Defensive / Attacking Mid.
    Players who give Defensive solidity & offensive fluidity are rarest nowadays. You can count these top players in one hand.
    Last season when Jose tried to sign him up, he was quoted well over 70M pounds.

With Euro now, his numbers are going to explode.

6. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

He's not worth the money, no.

I had this romantic idea that Herrera and Schneiderlin might end up at CM long term but I suppose if Pogba is available to buy then we're as well going for him as someone else will otherwise.

Depends who else goes for him. If we're up against Real he'll just go there anyway.

7. glazerfodder

glazerfodder Well-Known Member

Any deal for Pogba will probably involve a 'basic' transfer fee of around £50m with the usual CL, Player of the Year add-ons bringing the figure up to nearer the figures being touted in the press. personally I would be happy for him to go to RM if it meant that Isco was available as 'surplus to requirements' - now there is a class player who is well worth a punt at £40m

8. BobbyD

BobbyD President

Have to agree with Stan. Players like Pogba are a rare breed. He literally has it all in his locker (maybe a tad prone to strolling through matches). he's basically what Yaya was a few years ago but i think even better as technically he's fantastic.

StanDMan likes this.
  9. Christiansmith

Christiansmith Well-Known Member

The players at the very top are extremely difficult to value. This is because they are one of just a handful and having him in the team makes a huge difference. Apparently PSG are going to trigger the release clause of Neymar at £143m. So if Neymar is worth £143m, what price Pogba ? £70m-£100m would be reasonable.

I am going to repeat what I said at the time when Moyes (and LVG) and Woodward were trying to recruit players. United just need to focus on the players needed and buy them (if they are willing to come) irrespective of the price.

10. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

Irrespective of the price? Personally, I would hate for us to go down that route. We need to show respect to the balancing the books. We still have huge debt that quite frankly, I would have us pay it off first before competing with the likes of PSG's oil money.

As for Neymar at £143m; that is just plain stupid in my opinion. Neymar is a great player but definitely not worth the ridiculous buyout clause that Barca like to insert into contracts. Value of players should be inline with how much most of these clubs make. But sadly oil money that has flooded that market in the past ten years has completely distorted reality.

11. Skylarker

Skylarker PL High Commissioner

Definitely worth 70mil in this market. He's one player that could seriously transform Utd.

In that sense he's probably worth 100mil tbh.

12. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

In that respect, definitely.

In the 'this is ridiculous money' respect definitely not of course.

He could well be the magic ingredient though, these players are few and far between and our two previous of this ilk, Robson and Keane, are rightly two of the finest players United have ever had.

It would have been good to sort before the Euro's as I think Real will be sniffing about now and that's likely to be that.

13. Skylarker

Skylarker PL High Commissioner

Pogba is probably the best player in that position in world football.

Not only that - it's a position that Utd have needed for ages. I think it's seriously a game changer for Utd.

Arsenal need one too but Wenger... is well.. Wenger.

14. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

I think he's off to Madrid. He looks like the kind "superficially" that would fit into the culture there, I think. Plus, Zidane is perhaps more appealing to him due to FCUK.

15. Swarbs

Swarbs Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

That's putting the cart before the horse imo - are we such paupers that we need to go the Arsenal route of refusing to buy anyone expensive or good until we can pay off all the debt just to benefit the shareholders? By the time we've gone down that route we will end up like Arsenal - bidding for cast offs from other clubs and watching our best players go elsewhere.

Besides which, we currently have £100 million in the bank, debt is down by another 10% year on year and we have enough of a revenue gap on PSG that we can match their transfer power and still comfortably service the remaining debt and balance the books. For all the money LVG pissed up the wall over the last two years we are still profitable, despite no CL to show for it.

As for whether he is worth it, that all depends on your view. Ultimately players of his quality are a scarce resource, and transform the teams they are in. If he takes us from scrapping for 4th place to winning the title and competing for the CL then he is absolutely worth it.

If you want to measure it by shirt sales and extra revenue then he is probably not worth it. But when did Utd become first and foremost about the money? Surely the point of being one of the richest clubs in the world is to afford the best players in the world, not to sit back and let other clubs buy them?

After all, are you happy we sold Ronaldo for £80m? Would you have sold Roy Keane for £35 million in 1998? Or Cantona for £12 million in 1995? Hard to put a price on players of that quality, and ability to transform a team. And Pogba certainly looks like one.

Christiansmith likes this.
  16. theevilreddevil

theevilreddevil Well-Known Member

70 million for a player we let go for free.... Yeah absolute bargain :angry:

17. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

My opinion is... is there a player as good as Pogba for considerably less? Imo there is.

18. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

FFS, you sound like a scouser. We did not "let him go", he walked away at the end of his contract because we would not guarantee him so much game time.
    This was not a realistic expectation from him at that time as we had some very good players in midfield and the few games he was played in he looked like a rabbit caught in headlights, if he had carried his undoubted potential into his first team opportunity's like some did last year he would have had more game time. The fault/problem was with him not the club, you can't force somebody to sign a contract.

19. Swarbs

Swarbs Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Areyou going to name him or should we just guess? <whistle>

20. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

If I could I'd be earning more than our scouts <laugh>

The thing is I'd rather pay a modest sum for a diamond in the rough, than 70m for a big name which places huge expectations on the player.

And that's not alien to United. Apart from Di Maria and a couple of others, we've tended to look for diamonds in the rough. Imagine buying back Stam for ridiculous sums (if he was at his peak) instead of buying Vidic.