1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Is it time for the Monaco GP to be removed from the F1 calendar?

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by stonkin, May 27, 2018.

?

Is it time for the Monaco GP to be removed from the F1 calendar?

Poll closed Jun 10, 2018.
  1. Yes

4 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. No

6 vote(s)
    60.0%
  1. stonkin

stonkin Well-Known Member

Today's snooze-fest will not have gained F1 any new fans.

2. moreinjuredthanowen

nope.

it was rubbish.

but it's still not time to remove it.

it's time to hold it earlier in year when it pours down.

3. eddie_squidd

eddie_squidd Well-Known Member

We moan about the loss of key European circuits and the growth of Tilkedromes. It’s a difficult one, but if we hold up the principle that F1 must retain its heritage then you must have Monaco.

On top of this, it is the ultimate test of drivers. It’s probably important to ask ourselves how we can make the racing better but I don’t think we should consider getting rid of it.

4. SgtBhaji

SgtBhaji Well-Known Member

In reality, we probably need to keep it. Yes the race is mostly a bore fest, but it is wonderful watching these machines take on the streets of Monaco. And when there are overtakes, they're usually spectacular.

cosicave likes this.
  5. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

This thread is 40 years late.
    so true, rain is the only thing that can save monaco as a racing spectacle, in fact a wet Monaco is always exciting, but Monaco in the rain is not glamourous, so no chance it'll happen.

easynic150 likes this.
  6. SgtBhaji

SgtBhaji Well-Known Member

Also would never take place these days.

7. Big Ern

depends on how wet certainly 84 would've been stopped a whole lot sooner, but Monaco isn;t a fast track with high speed bends, it's tricky rather than dangerous, the only fast bend is in the tunnel, which wouldn't be wet, so I think it would be run in conditions thbat could see other GP's delayed.

8. cosicave

cosicave Well-Known Member

I know I'm probably biased but I think many spectators do not appreciate what an enormous driving challenge the Monaco circuit presents.

Yes, it can be a 'bore fest' for the casual onlooker – and even the more seasoned F1 fan, but appreciating every move a driver makes is one of the reasons drivers covet a win at this event more than virtually all others: it is an enormous driving challenge, and all of one's peers recognise it. For this reason, there is an instant respect from competitors (including Alonso!).

Also, attending the Monaco Grand Prix is like no other. Spectators get closer and feel a greater sense of involvement than all others. And it is certainly the most 'glitzy' of all, with more of the rich and famous making an appearance than anywhere else.
    Today's paddock was more crammed than I can ever remember and it was like sardines on the grid prior to the race. Despite Briatore, the atmosphere is like no other. It is glamour written LARGE.

Driving this circuit is a unique experience. F1 does not only exist for its fan-base; it also exists for F1 itself; and regardless of the difficulty for overtaking, it will remain on the F1 calendar for the foreseeable future.

Last edited: May 28, 2018
    dhel and easynic150 like this.
  9. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

It'd be a nice season-closer, in the same way that most cycling tours have a processional final stage. As the last race of the season it either doesn't matter if nothing happens (because things are settled), or every position is vital and overtakes get excitingly desperate. As others have said, Monaco would be distinctly less glamorous on a wet November day.

I'd like to see Pirelli make tyre choice a lot more difficult next year. Bring the Softest Compound, but then skip a couple of compounds and bring something bulletproof. Hopefully that might mix up strategy.

Mr.B likes this.
  10. allsaintchris.

allsaintchris. Well-Known Member

Why just Monaco?

Most races at Barcelona are dreadful too.

At least Monaco has character and history and offers something unique.

easynic150 and Number 1 Jasper like this.

11. BrightLampShade

BrightLampShade Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Just run it backwards one year, see if that helps <whistle>

12. El_Bando

El_Bando Can't remember, where was I?
    Forum Moderator

Non championship open to any driver and different rules on tyres to promote risk taking. For the honour of Monaco winner... and big bucks

13. ched999uk

ched999uk Well-Known Member

As a race it's not the most exciting but the driver skill level is immense. I do think the drivers are getting better though. Just look how many mistakes were made over the weekend. Was it 1 mistake by Max and Leclec's brakes failed resulting in a crash, was that about it?
    I am sort of sad to say but maybe Bernie's sprinklers should be introduced. They need to work out how to add a bit more overtaking maybe tweek the track layout. Ok I know it's historic but how many other tracks are as they were when F1 started????

It is great to be able to walk the track at Mocaco and when you watch the race you can see exactly where you walked and how steep the harpin is etc.

So don't cancel the race make some 'improvements'.

Number 1 Jasper and Big Ern like this.
  14. El_Bando

El_Bando Can't remember, where was I?
    Forum Moderator

Add a new straight :emoticon-0136-giggl

15. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Will the new reclaimed land at Portier actually make this a possibility?

Walking the track at Monte Carlo definitely gave me a new appreciation of the madness that is racing there. The TV does not do the steepness or the tightness justice.

On racing games, Tabac is just impossible. I struggle to get it right at all, never mind lap after lap. And even from the comfort of my sofa, when I think I've got it right I'm still probably losing half a second versus real life through there. It's a ludicrous circuit.

16. Big Ern

lol, I always have a race ending crash into a wall at Monaco, either pushing too hard at the top of the hill or through the swimming pool, I hate it.
    How though, the only way I can think of (other than Bernies sprinklers) is to make the cars a lot narrower

17. Mr.B

Mr.B Well-Known Member

Maybe make them race cars from the 50's. Combine that with DH Canary's idea of making it the season-closing race. It wouldn't do much for the racing, but it would be interesting to seeing how these drivers handle those cars around there.

Or add an underwater tunnel that runs through the harbour. Walls of glass so that the fish can spectate.

Imagine that as a driver! :emoticon-0104-surpr

easynic150 likes this.
  18. eddie_squidd

eddie_squidd Well-Known Member

Wait, that is actually Mario Kart. If you’re doing that then we need to start introducing power ups right now, at the very least banana skins and green and red Koopa shells.

19. Big Ern

Wouldn't make any difference at Monaco.

20. BrightLampShade

BrightLampShade Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Just merge it with the French gp. A race from Monaco to Paul Ricard. Closed road epic street race.

cosicave and easynic150 like this.