1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Ipswich Town

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by NickH, Sep 28, 2017.

1. NickH

NickH Well-Known Member

A fascinating game in prospect tomorrow - Ipswich have, like us, had an unexpectedly excellent start to the season, scoring lots of goals (now the divisions top scorers), but also conceding many (the most in the top half).

For me, this is the hardest game to predict so far this season. Despite their lofty position, they have actually lost four of their last six games (including away to Crystal Palace in the League Cup), so perhaps their flying start is already slowing down? Their 5-2 win against Sunderland was undoubtedly eye-catching and proof (if it were needed) that they're not to be underestimated, though Sunderland are also a team in dire straits at the minute, so it could be that the margin was as much down to their own shortcomings as Ipswich's dominance.

Interestingly, the bookies seem to have us as favourites at around 13/10, with them around 2/1 - I'm not sure what it is that makes them think this, but when it comes to unbiased opinion, you'll struggle to do much better than them. Hopefully a good omen.

https://www.oddschecker.com/football/english/championship/ipswich-v-bristol-city/winner

I do expect them to be 'niggly' - try to disrupt our rhythm, similar to Millwall at home, so it's a challenge for us to overcome that. With the amount of goals they've scored, it's hard to envisage us keeping a clean sheet, but we should be able to score also.

Forced to a prediction, I'll go 2-2.

2. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

For me a 2-1 city win,think we will be strong for them.

3. Scowey

Scowey Well-Known Member

We've been a very odd team so far this season.. Completely threadbare in terms of injuries to a lot of our senior players but somehow finding ways to win games.

Sunderland at Home (and to an extent Leeds away) were very promising attacking performances where we looked like scoring plenty, and most importantly look like we've built upon what was a very decent start and now adding in some nicer football to our 'gritty' performances, though these are only green shoots at this stage.

We will likely concede (given our one fit CB has been rushed back in to the side) but if we line up (and play) like we did on Tuesday I fancy us to score 2 or 3, particularly with the form McGoldrick, Waghorn and the introduction of Celina have shown.. Add in the horrible bastard that is Garner leading the line and we'll cause you plenty of problems.. The question is though, how we'll cope with you when we're having to dig in and defend for spells, which is where we fell short at Leeds.

johnnywarksmoustache likes this.
  4. NickH

NickH Well-Known Member

Hi Scowey - welcome to our little corner of not606!

Obviously I won't be as familiar with how Ipswich have played as you are, but McGoldrick, Waghorn and Garner are all getting plaudits and the fact that Celina is on Man City's books is indicative enough of his potential.

As I said, I doubt we'll keep a clean sheet, but I'd be surprised if we conceded as many as 3. Our centre halves are physical, so I don't see them being bullied - your goals are more likely to come from good passing play, counter attacks or trickery, rather than crosses into the box.

Are Ipswich likely to try and dominate, or let us have the ball and hit on the counter? We tend to play a more possession based game, but are happy to sit in ourselves when the situation calls for it.

5. Scowey

Scowey Well-Known Member

I would say that in the past couple of matches we've looked to play on the front foot (once we fell behind atleast at Leeds) but Mick McCarthy is hardly known for his attacking free flowing football and playing it out from the back, so I'm not too sure whether those were just an aberration and whether we'll return to a more safety approach.

We were poor at home to Bolton as we were similar to last season, humping it forward and not really stringing many passes together and a midfield unsure of what to do when in possession, but like i say, we've been promising as new signings are starting to really bed in (Adayemi in particular) who has allowed us to play at a much higher tempo. One thing is guaranteed with us though.. We'll hassle and harry all over the pitch and not allow you a lot of time and space.

6. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

Have I missed a day?

7. Red Robin

Nicks getting ahead of himself <laugh>

8. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

Better to be in front than behind, could stay in the premier inn till Saturday

9. NickH

NickH Well-Known Member

Yep!

10. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

We conceded 3 at Wolves!

11. oneforthebristolcity

oneforthebristolcity Well-Known Member

I'd be happy, if we came away from the Tractor boys with our little unbeaten run in tact!

RedorDead likes this.
  12. NickH

NickH Well-Known Member

Indeed we did - but I'd still be surprised if we conceded 3 at Ipswich.

13. johnnywarksmoustache

johnnywarksmoustache Well-Known Member

Firstly, I wish all you Robins travelling up to Sunny Suffolk a safe and pleasant journey. <ok>

In regards to the game itself it will be another tough test for our boys and we will concede but we have got firepower in abundance with Garner, Waggy, Mgoaldrick (no pun intended) and Cellina all in great form. This team just finds a way to win and with the buoyant home crowd now with full confidence in the team we should be in for a cracker! Sticking my neck out but I think we will have too much for you and will win 3-1.

14. NickH

NickH Well-Known Member

That's the definition of pun intended!

I'm expecting a tough match as always, but from what I see from your thread and other Ipswich forums, the vast majority of your fans are expecting a win.

Predictions make fools of us all, but I think many of you are judging us simply by the fact that we're Bristol City and not on the basis of the team we have at the minute and how they're playing. Quite a few times this season I've read opposition fans saying 'we shouldn't be losing to/drawing with teams like Bristol City', without giving us credit for how the games have actually panned out - it seems as though Ipswich are just another team that feels that way! I think it'll be close and if either side ends up winning by two clear goals or more, it's unlikely to be because they dominated the other or had 'too much for them'.

...Of course, if you wipe the floor with us, I'll be the one looking foolish!

15. johnnywarksmoustache

I am not dismissing your chances of winning due to you being Bristol City and indeed I have much admiration for the way you have started this season in the same way as we have. I have got used to supporters from other clubs writing us off before a ball is even kicked but it comes with the territory! I simply think that with Home advantage and our team's new found confidence being at sky high we should win. This is not being arrogant in any way but just my honest assessment of how well my team is playing. Yes I could end up being completely wrong but I am making my judgement based on us and not you for being Bristol City!

16. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

I'm going for a Ipswich win. So anything else will be a bonus IMO.
    Don't know why but I'm not confident about this one. Not because I'm expecting the wheels coming off. Just struggling to realise that even Bristol City can go nine games unbeaten. To get to 10 poor old @Redprintt won't know what to do.

17. NickH

NickH Well-Known Member

I'm speaking generally, not specifically you mate - like you said, you suffer the same from fans of other clubs, so you know how it is.

For whatever research we do on our opposition, we'll never know as much about them as we do our own team, so we'll base our predictions on what our own side is doing, so I understand why confidence is high on Ipswich's side at the minute.

Like I said though, it's interesting that the bookies seem to be favouring us - I'm not entirely sure why, but it's enough for me to bump my prediction up from a narrow defeat to a draw. With all this hype and build up, we're now surely destined for a mind-numbing 0-0!

johnnywarksmoustache likes this.
  18. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

cant really argue about your 18pts on the board from 6 wins ... a win is a win! 5 are from teams who are currently the bottom 5! and the other was Millwall when they were struggling! in bottom 3!
    that said
    City don't yet have that killer instinct, whilst we have gained our points against slightly better placed teams neither of us have yet to play a plethora of teams above us ...that will be the acid test!
    A draw would be a good result for both teams!

19. Red Robin

We are Bristol City completely different from last seasons shambles,Ipswich should not judge us on last seasons results,completely different proposition this year.

2-1 city win-bookies are taking note of us,and have us as favorites away:1980_boogie_down::1980_boogie_down::1980_boogie_down:

20. johnnywarksmoustache

I view you guys with a great deal of respect as you have always been a "proper" club with "proper fans" and you have been through the same kind of sh1t that we have had to endure over the past few seasons. My first visit to Ashton Gate was in 1978 and in the middle of a petrol shortage! Wouldn't it be so refreshing if we both ended up in the play-offs by sticking two fingers up at these clubs who have benefited hugely through the crassly unfair parachute payments system!! It happened to Huddersfield last year so lets hope that their achievements have begun a new trend in showing clubs like ours the way! <ok>

Scowey, Red Robin and NickH like this.