1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Ipswich away

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by terryb, Dec 27, 2013.

1. terryb

terryb Well-Known Member

Last friday I was unfortunate enough to attend a funeral. This was very liquid & a celebration of his life rather than a bereavement.

However, I took the chance to ask a serving PC, who used to be the Ipswich football liason officer, regarding pubs for our visit in January. This is providing anyone is still making the journey!

As we all know, the Station Hotel is where the police require away fans to drink but although this is fine with most supporters I would like to give you a couple of alternatives that he didn't think we would have trouble in accessing.

Firstly, if you are with family & looking to eat I give you a couple of options. Coming from the Cambridge direction on the A14 just prior to Ipswich turn off to the Sorrell Horse at Barham. The ground is then a 15-20 minute drive.

Coming from London or from Cambridge The Beagle is a possibility. Neither place are gastro pubs but the food & the ale are OK.

If you are a real ale drinker I would sugest that the pub to aim for is The Dove. This has fairly recently twice won either The Publicans or the Morning Advertiser real ale pub of the year. This is situated just outside the town centre on the other side to the football ground & you would be better off parking & walking the 15 minutes to the pub. Food is just basic, pies etc. but you are guarenteed a wide choice of ales.

The PC informed me that there should be no problem in the Dove wearing hoops but to be very careful walking through the town as Ipswich fans do not like us! At my age, of course, I don't see that as a problem!

Hope this is of help to any of you.

Read more: http://qprreport.proboards.com/thread/38028/ipswich-away#ixzz2ogrYKwQj