1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

international break has it come at the wrong time?

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Tol3, Nov 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tol3

Tol3 Active Member

Do you think given our run this has come at the worst possible time?
    Or given that qpr have improved performance whilst not getting results does it equally hinder them as it disjoints them. I'm glad we've only lost a few to the internationals tbf especially pleased that janmaat gets a rest

2. Warmir Pouchov

Warmir Pouchov Better than JPF

No I think it has come at the perfect time. We were just starting to pick up a few injuries. If we can get a few fit, it will increase the competition. The key is Pardew must stick with those who have performed well after the break. If Tiote is back he should have to wait his chance to dislodge Abeid. Same applies elsewhere bar if Saylor is fit then he goes in and Haidara comes out.

3. Tisdale's St James Swap

This!

4. Freddd

Freddd Well-Known Member

Agree entirely.

Let Cisse's knees rest a bit and then let him wrestle Ayoze for starting striker. Get Aarons back. Let the others put there feet up for a day or two. Come back against QPR loaded for bear.

5. Tol3

Tol3 Active Member

I agree with the points said here abeod has been amazing! Just hope we can use it to get people back rather than lose a few more to injury

6. Wisey's Hair

Wisey's Hair Well-Known Member

Any reports on Colo, he came off early against the baggies.

7. Pulp

Pulp Well-Known Member

From the Gazette

FABRICIO Coloccini has given Newcastle United an injury scare.

Coloccini was forced off after scoring in Sunday’s 2-0 win over West Bromwich Albion.

And the defender – who dedicated the strike to close friend and team-mate Jonas Gutierrez – will be assessed on his return to Tyneside next week, having returned to Argentina during the international break.

Coloccini will visit Gutierrez, who last week revealed he had been given the all-clear after treatment for testicular cancer in Buenos Aires.

United manager Alan Pardew lost Steven Taylor, Coloccini’s defensive partner, on the eve of the game.

And Taylor and striker Emmanuel Riviere should be fit to face Queens Park Rangers at St James’s Park on November 22. Pardew is also hopeful Coloccini will be available.

“I think Steven should be back for QPR, I think Riviere will be back, and I’m hoping Colo comes through,” said Pardew.

Asked if Coloccini’s injury was serious, Pardew added: “I hope not.”

An emotional Coloccini widly celebrated his 62nd minute header in front of the club’s 2,700-strong travelling support.

Ayoze Perez had given United the lead in the first half with his third league goal in as many games.

Coloccini’s previous goal had come in a League Cup tie away to Nottingham Forest in September 2011.

The victory saw Newcastle end the weekend in eighth place – and level on points with Manchester United.

“I’m very happy to have scored,” said the 32-year-old. “We have had some bad moments, but it’s important that we enjoy these times.

“I enjoyed celebrating with my team-mates and in front of the fans and, more importantly, getting the win for the team.

“It has been a long time since I scored a goal – too long. I can’t even remember when it was, and it was nice to put that right. But I just try to help the team and want to keep us going on this run.

“It has been a very good week for the team and a very good week Jonas too.

“I am going to see him now, to spend a few days with him and give him all the messages of support from his team-mates, the staff, the fans and the club. It will be nice to see him.

“The goal was for him. It has been a great week for everyone.”

8. Welshie

Welshie Chavcunt fanboy dickhead

It's always the wrong time for me, watching/reading all the talk about England being "boring", "stale" and how a new manager needs to come in.

Then the actual game is EXACTLY like everyone said it would be, boring, stale and managed poorly. Getting a chance to watch Wales is always nice though, especially since I can be optimistic about it right now!

9. Albert's Chip Shop

Albert's Chip Shop Top Grafter
    Forum Moderator

Perfect time for me.
    The team can have a bit of a rest, other injuries can hopefully clear up...
    It will also allow time to evaluate what has gone right and ensure it is replicated in the run up to Xmas.

10. Delusional Full Stop

Delusional Full Stop Here to serve all your counselling needs.
    Forum Moderator

I would do away with International breaks if I could.

Nothing to do with being in or out of form but simply because outside the major competition finals I have no real interest in England and would much rather watch Newcastle play.

11. Joelinton's Right Foot

Joelinton's Right Foot Worth Every Penny
    Forum Moderator

Panic over - I've checked the calendar and they've definitely not made a mistake - this is when the international break was supposed to be. <ok>

12. Graham Carr's Binoculars

Graham Carr's Binoculars Well-Known Member

When you win five on the spin you just want the games to keep coming.

Bad timing IMO.

13. Warmir Pouchov

Yeah but if we had a game on Saturday neither Colo or Saylor would be fit. Once you add in Aarons, Tiote, Cisse, the impact those returns have on the strength of your squad probably outweigh the benefit of wanting to just keep rolling. If we went into QPR with Dummett/Willo I'd be concerned our run comes to a crashing end. Their confidence won't drop off in two weeks.

14. Obi Wan

Obi Wan keeper of the peace

Not sure what impact it will have as we've gained some fantastic momentum which counts for a lot. Equally it's good to give some a rest from injury.

What I do know is it would be the ideal time for a different kind of game if that bloody JPF could actually get his finger out of his arse. Literally.

15. Joelinton's Right Foot

Joelinton's Right Foot Worth Every Penny
    Forum Moderator

this!!!!!!!

16. Seabass

Seabass Well-Known Member

I would usually say keep the games coming but I think it might work in our favour. Get a few of the injured back and plan well for the QPR game. I mighy be wrong but I seem to recall that we tend to come back fairly well from international breaks. Tends to disrupt those teams that have players going all over the place a bit more.

17. Warmir Pouchov

Indeed we have only six away on duty. We still have one of the smaller squads, and have injuries in our most threadbare area - central defence. Dummett has bailed us out a little, but ideally we need to keep the Colo/Saylor partnership going. Both are currently carrying minor injuries. I think we should stick to the same game plan we've been using, staying compact and counter attack. However we will need a plan B for QPR. If they sit back and are happy to play out a draw, we need to impose ourselves a bit more and ensure we get the 3 points.

18. Blacker-than-Knight

I personally think the whole international schedule needs a serious rethink, the season starts and then stop for internationals, the break in November adds to this and clubs now have to make up those games in a congested Christmas schedule, between the 2nd December and 1st January we now have with the addition of the League Cup 8 matches to play, I would also do away with all the friendlies as they are only there for the FA to money grab and have become totally meaningless in relation to actually preparing the England team for any tournament.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.