1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Infuriating Football (if you can call it that)

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by itfcptc, Mar 7, 2015.

1. itfcptc

itfcptc Well-Known Member

I have kept it fairly calm up until now on this poor run but starting to lose it now, come on Mick sort yourself out, stop being so bloody stubborn!! He's such a frustrating manager because he's so good at certain aspects but he just will never fulfill his potential through his erring on the side of caution and stubborness!! He's done a great job here but by god he's the most frustrating manager I've ever known here at Ipswich

Look at our best form this season we play 433 we haven't been great in 2015 since we've gone 442, why are we playing 442 if we don't play proper wingers??

On todays game, I can only comment on the second half.

Firstly lets get the elephant in the room out, Murphys miss Wow just wow!!! That is possibly the worst miss I have ever seen EVER!!

Why did Mick take Sears off? That ruined the game, we were so static upfront and it just meant we were hoofing it up to Murphy and Wood all the time, that isn't football that's playing the percentages game. And why is Chaplow always the fall guy, he usually looks better than the other midfielders.

My biggest gripe however is the midfield and how we have been instructed (or not instructed) to play. Yes it is clear we need quality but you can tell or coach players to want the ball and not be soo static. The number of times one of our players got the ball in a good position I just looked at the rest of the team they weren't offering themselves as an option, they were just ambling toward the box or holding their position. We need to pass and move, pass and move, it's infuriating. And as I said this isn't just down to the lack of quality it's down to how the team have been told or coached to play. It's been a downfall all season even when we were playing well.

Positves are, we're still only 1 point off the playoffs and only 5 off the top spot, so still all to play for, so all is not lost.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
  2. wellyblue

wellyblue Well-Known Member

Excellent post.

itfcptc likes this.
  3. tractor bhoy

tractor bhoy Well-Known Member

sears off had me swearing a lot
    other than that I will revert to my comment from the other night. Instead of trying to win a game again we tried hard not to be beaten. two teams 1 place apart and a million miles away from each other in philosophy. Im not saying I want MM gone but considering Brentford have already announced Warburton is leaving then I know which one I would want running my team. we just have such a negative outlook and its not one I can really buy into.

King_of_Portman_Rd likes this.
  4. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

Valid criticisms there. Our performance today was among our better ones recently, and it was nice to see us create significantly more chances than usual, but our finishing was well off today, particularly from Murphy. I'm having doubts about his confidence, or is it just complacency? A degree of that will come down to man-management, but I think players have to ultimately take responsibility for their individual displays, especially if you're being played in your natural position.

I definitely agree with you regarding the Sears substitution. It's not the first time McCarthy has hauled him off too early, and for me, he's fast becoming our go-to player to take off, a sacrificial lamb, if you you will, despite his promising performances.

I think a microcosm of our attitude, recently, was summed up with that throw-in by Mings in stoppage time. Should it be taken quickly and instigate another goalscoring opportunity? No, Mings seemed more concerned about Berra staying near his own penalty area in case of defensive support. You could argue it's a sensible policy, particularly given our knack of conceding last minute goals at times, but I think it underlines the frequent over-cautioness of our side.

But it's this frugal approach to games and ultimate ambition to hoard as many points as possible that has kept us only a point off the play offs.

tractor bhoy likes this.
  5. Hoppersblue10

Hoppersblue10 Well-Known Member

Wood for Sears us clearly winner of worst substitution of the season.!

6. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

Chaps, it's clearly off the field stuff going on.

What formations we play or players we play is relatively insignificant because there's very clearly something behind the scenes that's rocked the boat. Or maybe there's a loss of morale because of all the injuries.

Some speculative reasons: The defensive mix ups in the Derby / Southampton games were the turning point, maybe McCarthy tore into the team, and it might have had something to do with the January transfer budget. Or maybe there's a loss of morale because of all the injuries.

Whatever it is, it's yet another disappointing season in the Evans era. I would say being at the top and dropping like a stone is harder to take than some of our previous seasons.

7. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

I could see MM's response to the crowds reaction to the Sear's substitution-not pretty-and I don't know what stopped him going one further and completing the Varney/Murphy swap.

8. Hoppersblue10

Rumour has it he stuck an ef and Jeff into a section of the crowd.....it was a universally unpopular substitution.

For me it is clearly our entry into the worst sub of the season category! Another bad day at the office for MM!

9. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

I can understand that it would be difficult to justify taking the leagues top scorer off but Freddie should have stayed on the pitch too. I personally would have taken Tabb off and gone with three at the front.
    Hopefully Chaplow will be fit enough to last ninety minutes soon.

10. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

You didn't need to be a lip reader!!
    It's one thing knowing your own mind and another being wilfully cussed and MM falls at the extreme end of the cussed spectrum.

11. mrivancampoo

mrivancampoo New Member

The bloke is a clown, and Nuggets dont agree with your ridiculous comment
    'But it's this frugal approach to games and ultimate ambition to hoard as many points as possible that has kept us only a point off the play offs'
    had he been more adventurous we would have probably amassed many more points than we currently have!! Its his dull, negative approach that is and has cost us!!

12. Hoppersblue10

MMs conservative approach is bordering on calamitous, the way we are approaching games ATM I am struggling to see when we will pick up our next win....and we have Blackpool to play...<yikes>

13. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

At least we should be safe Hoppers <ok>

14. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

Spanish, our form in the latter half of 2014, when we were accumulating points and on such a good run of form, was down to our cautious style of play where we ground out victories.

15. Castro Sito

Castro Sito Well-Known Member

It's too easy to have a rant when things aren't going well. Yes Sears probably should of stayed on and maybe we should go back to 4-3-3 etc etc but the fact is Mick's with these players every day so we have trust his judgement...for now. The injuries and new players brought in hasn't helped matters.

This is a bad time for fans to start showing frustration, will only make things worse. Anyway I'll reserve judgement til the end of the season. If we don't make the play offs then I'll agree that he blew it.

Still, 1 point off play offs, 5 off top.... Not too shabby at this stage.

San Diego likes this.
  16. Hoppersblue10

How many times do we have to say this...it is not MM we are annoyed with (apart from Spanish) it is the fact that he is not changing our style/way of playing, the tactics that served us so well for half a season have been worked out by the other teams therefore we need to be smarter and play in away they do not expect...we need to win around 6 from 10 games left, can anyone really see us doing that playing as we are now?

17. Spanish

Spanish Well-Known Member

Nuggets, when we was on that run, we were playing 433, i saw most of them games and we were much better then than we are now, The thing that pisses me off most about MM is his arrogance and stubborness, this, imo has held him back and stopped him from becoming a top manager and as for telling his own fans to **** off, just because they booed his substitution of Sears, well thats just bang out of order and i hope a few complaints go in to ME!! If you abuse and then lose the fans then thats it, eventually you are gone. I want Mick out, i never wanted him in but will admit he was probably the right man at the time, i just hope its for some other reason and not because we go on a bad run, because i hate losing!!

18. Spanish

Wheres Warky go to, im thinking of ringing the police and getting them to go look around the Orwell bridge for him, just in case!! I know he will be pulling his hair out after this!! Did you guys meet up for drinks yesterday? If so, i hope you had a grt time and i hope old scoggy made it, would love to buy him a beer myself but dont get back very often!!

19. Hoppersblue10

Hi Spanish, did meet up with Warky yesterday, the bugger still did not buy me a pint though......Gaffer did not show up, hope he is ok as he has not been on here for a day or two...what are the chances of you coming back for a game Spanish, it would be great to meet up, I would try to persuade Weighty to come along as well. <ok>

20. Spanish

This season highly unlikely now, beginning of next season 95% chance but will wait for next seasons fixtures before booking!!
    Cant believe Warky never bought you a beer, probably blew all his money on them American hookers last week!!
    As for weighty coming along for a beer, i would love it, although drinking in full armour may prove a tad difficult!!
    Worrying about scog, hope he is ok!!
    I will look forward to having a beer with you hoppers, hopefully things will be a little better by then and there wont be such a divide between supporters!!

johnnywarksmoustache likes this.