1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Illegal immigrants crossing the channel

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Albert's Chip Shop, May 28, 2020.

1. Albert's Chip Shop

Albert's Chip Shop Top Grafter
    Forum Moderator

184F86E0-02B3-43DB-AD77-F585C21DC45F.jpeg

This was just emailed to me by a mate.

Where do you stand on this issue?

Personally I don’t believe any one of the predominantly male illegal immigrants is actually seeking safe refuge by coming to Britain.

They must have passed through at least half a dozen ‘safe’ countries to get to the UK so it doesn’t wash with me.

apparently a lot of them aren’t even from war torn countries like Syria. Many are from Pakistan etc....

2. Dorty Dogbreath

Dorty Dogbreath keeper of the glow

We are supposed to be in the midst of a pandemic yet they still want to be here...shows how desperate they are.

3. Dorty Dogbreath

Dorty Dogbreath keeper of the glow

Fancy risking your neck to get here only to be faced with working in a kebab shop 24/7.

4. Somebodys pinched my sombrero

Somebodys pinched my sombrero Well-Known Member

Our country is a soft touch for these folk. If we stopped the free housing and benefits, they’d sharp stop.
    I don’t disagree with immigration, but if people have no benefit to the country or no logical reason for being here, they shouldn’t be allowed in. As you say, if they’ve travelled overland, they’ll have passed through many other countries, why not choose one of them? Possibly the benefits aren’t as good?

5. Maximin Effort

Maximin Effort Well-Known Member

I suspect that a lot of it is our colonial past coming back to us. When the British Empire was created, the British language spread across the world. If I was from a developing country with limited education, I would want to go somewhere where I could speak the language to get a job and improve my and my family's life. I suspect that this is the logical reason they come here.

Illegal immigrants are not entitled to any support, financial or other, unless they have indefinite right to remain in the UK

https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/sn06847/

Asylum seekers are not eligible for mainstream welfare benefits. Instead, if they are destitute, they can apply to UK Visas and Immigration for accommodation and/or financial support (‘asylum support’). As a general rule, asylum seekers are not allowed to work whilst they are waiting for an asylum decision.

Accommodation is provided on a no-choice basis, generally outside London and the south-east of the UK, under the longstanding ‘dispersal’ policy.

https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/sn01909/

6. Somebodys pinched my sombrero

Can’t be arsed to read all that tbh, but I did see that the asylum seekers are entitled to benefits, and are given some form of housing.
    Asylum seekers
    Asylum seekers – ie persons waiting for a decision on an asylum application – are not entitled to mainstream non-contributory social security benefits including income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance, Income Support and Housing Benefit.

Instead, they may be eligible for accommodation and/or financial support (“asylum support”) from the Home Office. Cash support for asylum seekers is less generous than social security benefits.

Refugees – ie asylum seekers whose application for asylum has been successful – are able to claim social security benefits and tax credits on the same basis as UK nationals.

Diego likes this.
  7. Maximin Effort

Maximin Effort Well-Known Member

Yeah, they get something while their application is processed which seems reasonable to me. If they are escaping persecution, then putting them up in a dorm room shouldn't be too onerous for anyone. Minimal financial support is given for food etc and this will all stop if their asylum request is denied

GeordieHalfbreed likes this.
  8. Somebodys pinched my sombrero

The only reason they “escape persecution” and come here is for the benifits, they pass through many other countries in the way here, which are not so beneficial to them. If they are in genuine trouble, then yes, let’s help them, but if we trespass in some of their countries, we wouldn’t get any perks, we’d be shot.

9. Warmir Pouchov

Warmir Pouchov Better than JPF

I'd like to think we would be able to stop this.

Unfortunately when you go round the world chasing oil, chasing control of countries resources, preventing sections of the undeveloped world become developed etc etc, and you start wars with your similarly power hungry allies to make it a reality, then I'm afraid you probably have a moral responsibility to take your fair share of the people whose homes you've blown up (along with their family members and friends).

So yeah if our government, the elite, and all their unsavoury allies **** off with still running their empire under a different guise, then maybe I'll show an interest in the influx of people from other lands. But lets not put the horse before the cart just because Nigel Farage says so <laugh>

10. Freddd

Freddd Well-Known Member

I doubt anyone would cross the street for asylum seekers benefits.

And the fact that they are coming from countries where people get shot for no good reason is kind of the point.

GeordieHalfbreed likes this.

11. Delusional Full Stop

Delusional Full Stop Here to serve all your counselling needs.
    Forum Moderator

My two penneth worth for what it's worth is that we should be prepared and willing to take genuine asylum seekers. I think most people would agree with that.

What we shouldn't take are illegal "economic"migrants. We also shouldn't take genuine asylum seekers unless the proper processes have been followed. Put more specifically in relation to this thread I would send back anyone coming across the Channel in a boat. The persons may be asylum seekers but I don't think we are suggesting that France is the country they are seeking asylum from. Therefore, as they are not on face value fleeing from persecution or for their lives there is no reason, for me, why they should short cut or jump ahead of other asylum seekers who have followed the proper process.

if the camps in France are not up to acceptable standards then that is a matter for France to address and not us.

12. Welshie

Welshie Chavcunt fanboy dickhead

Probs worth about 2 pence mate

Delusional Full Stop likes this.
  13. Delusional Full Stop

Forum Moderator

I'll accept postal orders.

<cheers>

14. Albert's Chip Shop

Albert's Chip Shop Top Grafter
    Forum Moderator

what are they like?

15. Delusional Full Stop

Forum Moderator

You can't eat them and you can't drink them so nothing for you to be worried about.

<cheers>

16. QWOP

QWOP Well-Known Member

Illegal is illegal. They should not be allowed to enter the UK through these channels. Legitimate asylum seekers and immigration is fine, by my, so long as the correct protocols and procedures are in place.

17. Leo Billy

Leo Billy Well-Known Member

I can’t stand it even when British folk abuse the benefit system, it pisses me off people coming into Britain just to claim benefits etc. We’ve always being a soft touch with **** like this and probably always will be.

We should do it the way the Australians do it.

18. Doc.

Doc. Well-Known Member

let them in... if I was them crossing I'm sure id be doing the same thing ... good luck to them all

19. JakartaToon

JakartaToon Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

She is only making an issue of this to score political points. There are an estimated 150000 illegal immigrants enter the UK each year. Around 1% of those come in boats across the channel. She would be better off thinking about how they could stop the other 99%.

GeordieHalfbreed, haslam and Flash like this.
  20. Doc.

Doc. Well-Known Member

I don't know why anyone cares.. let them all in I don't