1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

If Oviedo stays, I'd play him at CAM!

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Hefty fullback, Jun 21, 2019.

1. Hefty fullback

Hefty fullback Well-Known Member

In the last two years, Honeyman has 68 starts and 5 assists. Oviedo had 4 assists in 15 starts last season. And then there is the defensive side of things:

please log in to view this image

please log in to view this image

I prefer Hume over Oviedo at LB because of his strength at tracking back and covering on the counter. Oviedo concedes loads of corner kicks when tracking back.

2. Hefty fullback

3. Hefty fullback

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
  4. The Norton Cat

The Norton Cat Well-Known Member

The problem with statistics and with that article is that unless you consider the reasons for those statistics, they are meaningless. The article says that we didn't create enough chances for Wyke/Grigg which is why our shots per 90 stat is so low. It says that Maja's early season form papered over the cracks. That's plain wrong. We were playing in a different way when Maja was in the side and that lead to the creation of more chances and so more goals. With Wyke in the side, we've struggled to retain the ball in the final third, which has meant we've created fewer chances. Because the ball has been coming straight back at us, we've had to become more defensive (Cattermole AND Leadbitter at CM) and so it's even fewer chances have been possible. What we need is the right centre forward to play the game Ross wants to play.

As for Oviedo at CAM, you have to look at what kind of assists he created. Were they crossed? Were they through balls? He might be able to cross it but can he pick a pass in the way that you'd want a number 10 to be able to do?

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  5. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

I'd certainly look at playing him at LW instead of LB, he's never convinced me there. Overall he's been a disappointment for me, you can see he's got quality but it doesn't translate into good performances often enough. Give him a try further forward if Hume can make LB his.

Gil T Azell likes this.
  6. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

Strange thing is, when it was to his feet or chest with his back to goal he held it up quite well most of the time - but we aimed 7 foot balls at him almost constantly and it just kept coming back and people (not me!) wondered why!!

7. The Norton Cat

Think it's a bit of a chicken and egg thing. Play a big lump of a striker and you think you can stick it in the air and he'll win it. I can't remember Wyke winning a header and his anticipation when it's in the air is not good. I really don't think he's a good fit with the players we've got and the type of game Ross would prefer to play. We need someone more like Maja.

8. The Little General

The Little General Well-Known Member

And you prefer Hume on his 8 appearances 4 of which were poor. What do you base this on ?

9. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

He's fast, strong, tall, aggressive and composed going forward, tracks back well and defends intelligently.

Some players you can just tell have got it without having to see them in dozens of games.

10. The Little General

Hope you're right, tough league this, he aint no Joe Bolton, been weak as p@ss and no positional sense in some games, I think Ross will bring in a left back.

11. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

I reckon so, we should be looking to move Oviedo on for the wages and as much as I do genuinely rate Hume he'll need backup and might be injury prone, time will tell on that.

The Little General likes this.
  12. Hefty fullback

Hopeful mostly, but banking on the potential. Young, big, fast, white, and a fullback - checks all the boxes for me.

Nads and The Little General like this.
  13. Neil

Neil Well-Known Member

Young, big, fast, fullback, that's fine.
    "White", really? Is that a box that needs ticking for you?

Sunderpitt likes this.
  14. Hefty fullback

Only if we are talking about breasts.

15. Sunderpitt

Sunderpitt Well-Known Member

First of all imho we played 2 DMs cos our CBs were crap. We also did not have any good creative midfielders.. if Maguire did not fire there was no good alternative.

Ross relied on the wingers, esp Mcgeady to supply the assists, if he was injured/out of form... Gooch or Morgan were and are not good enough
    Watmore if he stays fit, who knows.

Leading on from this opinion.. 2ndly the problem we must solve is crap CBs, we can then bring in good CM and play only 1 DM, and not rely on wingers do much.

Ovideo and Catts can both leave as we are stuck in the God awful 3rd division for another season.

Ross has to realise that Honeyman and Goich not good enough.. and that 09, deserves a go in midfield

The Little General likes this.
  16. The Norton Cat

They were good enough at the start of the season. We didn't rely on McGeady then. The change came about when Maja left and we had to change the way we played because Wyke's not suited to that game and Grigg was unfit/out of form. When we were pressing high, the poor form of the centre backs didn't matter because there was less pressure on them so we didn't need to protect them as much, so we could attack more- it's a vicious circle.

17. Sunderpitt

Sunderpitt Well-Known Member

I see your point... Maja did score goals and when he was sold he was a miss. Wyke was injured and even when fit did not look a goal scorer.. Griggs is supposed to be a goal scorer... again was not fit, when he was fit had very little ball to play off

Our squad last season really imho had 14/13 decent first team players and when injuries and fixture congestion hit us...at the end if the season run in, we were not able to keep going.

Any cup run is not s priority... promotion is..teams should be chosen appropriately

18. The Little General

I don’t think I’ve seen a poorer performance by centre backs than against Coventry in my 50 years of following Sunderland. That was the problem.

Nads likes this.
  19. The Norton Cat

I'm not saying they're the best centre backs. But their deficiencies didn't matter so much when were controlling games and forcing teams back into their own halves. We couldn't do that playing the way we ended up playing after we were left with only Wyke and Grigg.

The other thing of course is that, in that game against Coventry, we were playing 442, which meant that we were outnumbered in midfield and the centre backs had less protection than they would have usually done. That meant that they were shown up to be even worse than they actually are.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
  20. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

A good centre back partnership is priority then a striker who can score goals, once Maja jumped ship we were sunk, with the likes of Mumba Robson and Embleton around we should be OK in midfield, but a bit of horse trading if it can be arranged would not go amiss.