1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

If Barton goes, who's next?

Discussion in 'Bristol Rovers' started by years ago, Oct 27, 2021.

1. years ago

years ago Active Member

Many want Barton to go, but who are we looking for to be his replacement,
    I always felt that we do not want a manager who has failed, some many times. We cannot afford a
    winning manager as contracts have to be negotiated with current employers.
    I wanted an assistant manager who had spent time learning, yet when we achieved that, we were very keen to dismiss him in the short time he was with us. I do hope one lesson was learnt that the chances of a failed replacement being good for the job was prove to be wrong twice last season.
    I am sure that if ex Rovers players ,as Pullis or Holloway would be welcome by many, but not me. They have both had many chances and not been successful in the long term
    I have no idea whom to see leading the Gas, but I feel that although I was behind Barton for many a month ,I feel sure it will not be long before he is gone, It might be after the court cases, but without a new way of getting some very good players to be a winning side he will be finished with us.
    I always thought that he took the job as a stepping stone to be wanted by higher league teams. I think that is something else he has got wrong

2. old timer

old timer Well-Known Member

We have Hargreaves and Widdrington who have managerial experience, we have Bond who has coached with some big teams and managers but my choice would with assistance from the afore mentioned would be Lee Mansell, or if we could persuade him to leave Swindon Ben Garner

3. Gastronomic

Gastronomic Well-Known Member

Someone who knows the club would be better. I don't think Barton will go so soon, and there may be time to get a plan in place for someone else to step up like Coghlan did.

4. old timer

Shame we didn't get Meher before he left

5. Bluebaldee

Bluebaldee Total Git

Goodness knows who’s next but we can’t carry on with Barton for much longer. He’s just not a very good football manager. He had plenty of time to turn it around when he was appointed last season but failed so badly that we ended up rock bottom.

He’s been well backed in the market and has chosen the players he wants yet our performances and results have been very poor.

He keeps either opening his gob and putting his foot in it or hitting people. This does not reflect well on our club.

There are managers out there who may be an excellent fit for our club - it’s up to our non-visible CEO & board to do due diligence to find them if/when they apply for the BRFC vacancy.

They would have a decent squad to work with and if we get rid before Christmas they’ll have a transfer window too.

I’m not expecting anything from this season after the way we started it but I would expect any new incumbent to stabilise the club, put some pride back, unite the fan base and have a go at promotion next term.

Fans are beginning to vote with their feet. To not break 8k with any of our last two local derbies is very poor.

6. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Right now, I would take Scott Murray. That's how much I want Barton gone.

7. Bluebaldee

Bluebaldee Total Git

Steady on! <laugh>

Captain Jack Sparrow likes this.
  8. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Scott Murray and Brian Tinnion assistants to Lee Johnson as manager would be better than Barton <laugh>

9. old timer

JB in court tomorrow for the alleged assault of Daniel Stendel the then manager of Barnsley in Sheffield crown Court

10. Gastronomic

Let's wait and see how these court appearances turn out.

11. Bluebaldee

Bluebaldee Total Git

If he's found guilty of the Stendel incident I doubt he would lose his job over it.

It happened ages before he joined us and I doubt whether an alleged shove would result in a custodial sentence, even for Joey.

However, the issue will be his trial for allegedly assaulting his partner. He was a Rovers employee when that incident occurred so he would be on very tricky ground if found guilty.

12. old timer

Jury was sworn in and then sent home until Monday morning when the prosecution will start presenting it's case

The case is expected to last 1 week

13. Gastronomic

Do you think a jury will look at Barton in a good light? He's quite notorious!

14. old timer

The jury were quizzed by the judge on Friday on their knowledge of JB and football before they were sent home to return today for the start of the trial

15. Gastronomic

Stendel's account sounds pretty weak, and this may all depend upon whether there were any witnesses.

16. old timer

From reading the papers when he was asked who was there he said JB only

17. GreatWesternGas

GreatWesternGas Well-Known Member

From what I've seen reported re: Stendel's statement, I'm a little surprised it's even reached court to be honest - all sounds a bit circumstantial and tenuous to me, unless as you say, a witness suddenly appears with a cast iron statement saying he saw JB actually do the deed.
    From what I've heard and read today, it all sounds a bit tenuous and circumstantial to me so far, and unless a witness appears tomorrow that can say he actually saw JB do the deed, then I'd be surprised if this actually goes anywhere. To be frank, the last thing we need is another change of manager, another set of ideas and another 'reset' at the moment, so personally for the sake of the team, I hope this all goes away with the minimum of disruption as quickly as possible!

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  18. old timer

I think it comes down to whom the jury believe is telling the truth Barton or Stendel, the police must believe there is some truth in it otherwise I presume they would not have brought it to court.

19. Gastronomic

Is today the day?

20. old timer

They didn't have a day in court yesterday so I wouldn't think so