1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

I saw Sir Tom Finney play

Discussion in 'Preston' started by barnetpne, Apr 5, 2013.

1. barnetpne

barnetpne Well-Known Member

This is not nostalgia but a recognition of an excellent footballer. The point is that through dedication to training, he raised himself from being an average player to one of the best to put on an England shirt. His versitility was astonishing: playing right wing, left wing and centre forward and was effective equally in the 3 positions. Surely, a model for young players. As we come to the end of the season, many young players will be jettisoned by their clubs. STF as a model shows that with determination, not all is lost.

I did see him play. I remember his role in scorching Birmingham, who had an England goalie (?Gill Merrick), 8 - 0 at Deepdale. It is fitting that the best photograph of a player in action, and now the best tribute statue, is 'The Splash'. The ultimate skill in the most difficult of conditions.

He is 91 today and I hope he has a happy birthday.

2. themaclad

themaclad Well-Known Member

Never saw him, retired before I really got into football and besides was way too young(almost) he has retired from public life possibly think he's struggle with Alzheimer's though not completely sure on that. A win tomorrow to celebrate his birthday.

3. barnetpne

barnetpne Well-Known Member

My brother-in-law has reported that he does have dementia problems.