1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

I could save myself about 8000 miles a year !

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by alwaysright, Aug 30, 2017.

1. alwaysright

alwaysright @ Very Angry Camel

this thread is dedicated to grumpygit

I am very close to 'giving up!' I never thought I'd hear myself say these words about GFC.
    I have supported the club for many years - much longer than brb ! I have actually seen all their 'major league' success ( Yes - THAT far back ! ).
    I have seen some ( few ) good times, and some ( many ), bad times. As you know I go to practically all the games - both home and away -- despite my 100 mile trip just for 'home' matches. -- Even when I moved away from Medway many years ago, I couldn't stay away from Priestfield.
    I have stuck with The Gills through thick and thin. I have been ridiculed for my support of a 'crap team.' - but they are my 'crap team.'
    I haven't asked a lot from the players - I haven't expected a lot from the players - just an honest performance - that they tried their best and gave 1oo% -- win, draw or lose......... one of the best games I saw was when ( many years ago ), we lost 0-2 at home to Grimsby -- when they got promoted to the old Division 2. Gills played really well - the game was entertaining despite the loss - Gills gave 100%.
    Over the last few seasons ( including the L2 Champion season ) , I have, on many occasions, had serious doubt that many at the Club are actually pulling their weight..... starting at the top - all the way down to the ballboys ( ok - that's a bit unkind - but I'm only emphasising my point.
    I shall always be grateful that Mr.Scally came along and 'saved' GFC.......... I won't bore you with the finer details - suffice to say that not a lot of his money entered the Club - it was that he was able to persuade creditors to take a pittance of what the Club owed them........................ anyway...............
    BUT - over the last couple of seasons, it seems that the actual playing of football is very much an afterthought in the running of the Club ( a contradiction in terms if ever I heard one). All the politics behind the scenes - all the fiascos in which we are embroiled ---- the list is now very long. The management skills ( LACK OF ), of SOOOOOOOOOOO many aspects of the Club is a huge embarrassment ............. and is doing NOTHING to enhance the performance of the game I come to watch - and with all the internal politics that exists, I am embarrassed to call myself a supporter.
    I purchased a 2 year season ticket - but even before the Bradford game I had doubts that I can have the stomach for all the crap that has been/ is happening and will happen over this season and the next.

GFC - if you can do this to a loyal supporter - you need to wake up and get your act together - otherwise the National League is waiting for you in a couple of years time ! ...... I won't be there to watch - not even if the pitch is in my back garden.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
    grumpygit likes this.
  2. brb

brb CR250

When I first read the title I thought you had purchased a helicopter <laugh>

It would be quite exciting to be in the National League right now...look at all the local matches...Orient, Dags, Fleet, Stones, Bromley, Dover, Shots...I'd love it lol

3. alwaysright

With the money I've wasted on following The Gills, I am sure I could have purchased at least one helicopter ! - You do make a compelling case for the National League - and I thought my standards were low.

brb likes this.
  4. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

I do know where your coming from always, trouble is I think most clubs are the same but we just don't notice.
    Look at the mess Ebbsfleet were in a few years go with fans paying to own/manage the club, now it seems they are on the up, that is until the next disaster.
    Like me you've supported the club forever, sometimes we do forget that it is only a game and not real life.

5. alwaysright

grumpygit -Thanks for your empathy.
    Football may not be real life - but ( with The Gills ), it is a way of life. It has been for many years for me ( us ) - but it may not be for much longer ---- and not through any choice !
    I know that other clubs have their own problems, and that 'internal politics' will interfere - but I'm not so sure that many other L1 clubs have had as much non-football related nonsense as we've had at Gillingham.
    We nearly went out of business not so long ago. Mr.Scally came along, and brought a certain style of business acumen to the Club. His business prowess hasn't always endeared him to managers, players, franchisees, or fans - let alone the wider public, such as the Press and Local Authority.
    The name of the Club is now more associated with one, or other legal dispute than it is for anything related to football on the pitch.
    Then we have the health of Mr.Scally - With his apparent failure to secure any reasonable outside investment into the Club over the last 23 years - do we realistically see that change overnight ? And if Mr.Scally has another health scare, why wouldn't he just want to 'pull the plug' on The Gills - if legal punitive measures don't bankrupt us sooner ! I wouldn't blame Scally if he decided that he's had enough - - and that a block of residential premises would give him no grief - and no grass to cut !
    The Gills have been my 'way of life' for many years - I thought that GFC might still be here for my grandchildren - but I have serious concerns that Medway may lose another green area sooner than we might think.

6. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

Keep taking the pills always and remember we're never alone,
    Swindon, Blackpool, Coventry, Charlton, just 4 recent examples of clubs that have had recent problems, even Southend seem to have been at court fighting the tax man a lot recently. There have been times when I have felt the same as you, then the team goes on a little winning run and the problems fade.

If all else fails the Gillingham "B" team are playing at Stonebridge road. :emoticon-0136-giggl

Looking at that "recent" must be the word of the day. :emoticon-0138-think

brb likes this.
  7. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

Just to show how exciting the National league can be, I give you Sam Magri who played at left back for Malta last night.
    He normally ply's his trade at Ebbsfleet, another one we missed out on. :emoticon-0101-sadsm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Magri

brb likes this.
  8. WINDYROG

WINDYROG Well-Known Member

Well it seems Ady Pennock is doing his best to get us into the National League......HT Gills 0 Shrews 2.......a pile of poo.

brb likes this.