1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Hull: City of Culture

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by originallambrettaman, Feb 10, 2014.

1. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

So, Hull – City of Culture 2017 - Cinderella shall go to the ball. Hull, forever propping up the league tables of social and economic failures (the latest for ‘inner city urban vibrancy’ - see Ian Martin’s coruscating take on this here). Hull, an archetypal ‘crap town’ to be sneered at by the Policy Exchange, Kelvin McKenzie and Phil and Kirsty. Even the winning City of Culture bid talks of Hull ‘coming out of the shadows’ and yes there are big problems like not enough jobs, high levels of poverty and low skills. But these are less the fault of Hull than of the malevolence and insane inefficiencies of the neo-liberal market God. Hull is a super place, one of the most distinctive and unusual towns in England, whose assets are being absurdly wasted...

http://www.jonestheplanner.co.uk/2014/02/hull-city-of-culture.html

Quite a long read, but it's worth a look.

tigers 2008 likes this.
  2. lakesideview

lakesideview Active Member

Don't know how you found this OLM but I enjoyed the read. Pretty accurate summary of our city. A couple of points to disagree with but nothing outstanding.

3. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

Came to me through the magic of Twitter.

4. Charlie1

Charlie1 Well-Known Member

I agree, generally good article focusing on mostly the good in Hull instead of the usual bashing the city gets. As I cycle across Drypool bridge every day coming from the east I always (yes always) look south and I see the buildings that line the river, the Deep, the tidal barrier and the Humber. It never fails to impress me with its beauty. I used to love going across Scott street bridge. Wish the money could be found to repair it. Looks an eyesore as it is. Maybe the CoC17 coming will finally get it fixed.

Kempton likes this.
  5. SW3 Chelsea Tiger

SW3 Chelsea Tiger Well-Known Member

Christ..... that fella goes on & on ..... (is it tickler??)

Good read, although lots of words in there that I have no idea what they mean!!

6. ToxicPond

ToxicPond Member

That really is a very good article and sums up our city perfectly. Well done to the writer!

7. GLP

GLP Well-Known Member

Excellent article, I can never understand why permission was granted for St Stephen's? It's possibly the worst designed shopping centre I have ever seen, filled mostly with ****e, that has killed and distorted all the traditional shopping areas in Hull. It must have been the idea of an idiot. When you already have too many vacant/empty shops.

Godrevy Buoy and Edelman like this.
  8. Dr.Stanley O'Google, HCFC

Dr.Stanley O'Google, HCFC Well-Known Member

Pretty fair and objective.

9. onlyme

onlyme Active Member

Hull City AFC (GLP)
    ive only been in st stephens one time.i have no real opinion of it.BUT..............
    prince,s key is the vilest building ever to be built in the kings town.effing awfull!!

PattyNchips2 likes this.
  10. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

Princess Quay should be a marina.

The shopping centre shouldn't have been built there, it should have stayed in it's original proposed site on Albion Street car pack(accessed from King Edward Street).

11. Quill

Quill Bastard

Princes Quay won't be there much longer I think.

Good riddance if it is to go too, it's a ****ing mess.

12. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

Unfortunately, I think it will be there for a long time yet.

13. Stuart Blampey

Stuart Blampey Well-Known Member

"Inevitably the Georgian docks were the first to close, Queens being filled in as early as 1935 to create Queens Gardens. This is pretty universally regarded as a huge mistake. The gardens were redesigned by Frederick Gibberd in the 1950s as part of a plan for a new civic centre which did not happen, so there is little empathy between the space and the buildings around it.

Agreed.

Always interesting to get the views of an objective educated open-minded expert outsider.

Not sure I rate the former Regent cinema as highly as he does though.

14. Stuart Blampey

"But there is already much to enjoy in Hull: its history, architecture, landscape, cultural institutions and creativity, Yorkshire’s only Premier football team and of course brilliant fish and chips. And its very special character.

In English Journey Priestley concluded ‘(Hull) is a sound and sensible city, not at all glamorous in itself yet never far from romance with Hanseatic League towns and icebergs and the Northern Lights just around the corner’. I can’t top that."

He gets it <ok>

15. John Ex Aberdeen now E.R.

John Ex Aberdeen now E.R. Well-Known Member

Certainly a pretty accurate reflection of our wonderful City.

16. originalminority

originalminority Well-Known Member

Good link OLM

How blessed we are to live in Hull.

17. steverico

steverico Well-Known Member

When Francis Daly converted Waterfront he bought the old Lincoln Castle ferry to put in Princes Dock next to waterfront, however the council refused knowing that the shopping centre was on the cards, all backhanders of course.

Francis Daly was credited with the revival of the old town and has converted a few buildings into flats, the old ferry booking office, Ellerman Wilson Building.

He also owned the old Blackburn Bomber and he wanted to put that somewhere in the city but again was refused by the council and in the end gave it to the Beverley Museum.

I believe that successive councils over the last 50 years have held Hull back deliberately and discouraged investment to keep wages down, having seen the knock backs he has had with planning over the last few years I understand his frustrations. The biggest farce is The Lord Line building he wanted to preserve it and turn it into a hotel, refused again, now look at it?

18. bum_chinned_crab

bum_chinned_crab Well-Known Member

I worked on this, St Stephens was approved cos the developer paid for the transport interchange as part of the project. Without St Stephens the council would've had to fund a transport interchange which the city desperately needed and they didnt have the money. Simple as.

19. Der Alte

Der Alte Well-Known Member

A good, comprehensive review of the city's varied architecture - well researched but was the "Green Backs" (for Green Bricks) a Freudian slip? I really enjoyed it so thanks for posting the link.

20. Stuart Blampey

On the one hand I can believe this of Corporation, on the other hand they're so dumb and backward I find it hard to imagine them having any meaningful medium or long term economic strategy whatsoever.