1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Huddersfield v Argyle

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by notDistantGreen, Jan 5, 2021.

1. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

2. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I can't be arsed to sign up for this so will go back to the old way of watching it on my computer 3 minutes in arrears with just the stats and odd comments coming up. Stupid kick off time as well. 6pm although if he signs in BC will be pleased with the lay in.

3. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Does seem that Huddersfield might use some of their fringe players....I think they see their league status as more important....and they need to rest some of their starting players who seem to be playing every game.

4. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I think half the teams in this will use bit players. Why would Chelsea play their first team for example. Or Spurs who will both be vying for Champ League places.

5. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

I see we have competition on the BBC just before the Argyle match.....live coverage of the FA Cup game between Arsenal v Newcastle kicking-off at 1730 hrs....so those that are not watching the Argyle game can follow it on teletext and watch the Arsenal game live as well....might end up getting a stiff neck trying to watch the telly and the computer at the same time.

6. notDistantGreen

Oh that'd ruined my day. When did it become a 6pm kick-off - and why for heaven's sake? Argyle have to travel all the way to Huddersfield and could have been half way home after a 3pm start. There will be no fans at any of the games so interference with or by TV coverage is neither here nor there.

7. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

6pm kick-off at least a week ago....gives you the chance to watch earlier games....but having looked at available 'earlier' games there ain't nuffink worth looking at anyway......so might just switch on to BBC teletext coverage.

8. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Cooper, Watts, Opoku, Aimson, Edwards, Fornah, Mayor, Grant, Camara, Jephcott, Hardie.

Subs
    McCormick, Wootton, Canavan, Nouble, Telford, Reeves, Moore, Ruddy.

Three keepers ?

9. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

2-2...H/T...Hardie & Camara.

Camara is everywhere all at the same time....how on earth does he do it......I reckon he's got two sets of lungs.

10. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

2-3...F/T

Crichlow...4mins.....Rowe...32mins

Hardie...24mins...Camara...42mins...Edwards...70mins.

Great result for Argyle.....but it will be said that we only beat their youngsters....BUT you can only beat what's in front of you.

Yet again Panutche Camara is the Duracell Bunny....how does he do it... Ryan Lowe's best summer signing.

Everyone played their hearts out....Aimson and Watts played well attacking.

Must admit I panicked when Wootton came on and not Canavan.

11. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I have just got home from watching this on my son's tv. He can do all that technical stuff that baffles me. I wasn't going to watch it but he rang and said he was putting it on so I cracked.

It was an entertaining enjoyable game and whilst it is true the Huddersfield team were not their regulars you can see their pedigree and that they get well coached. Despite going behind twice we were never out of this game and the longer it went on the more you could see we might get the knock out goal. Argyle played quite well and there were a number of decent performances. Once again as said above Camara was the life and soul but today I would give the MOM to Danny Mayor who created a couple of the goals and was always a thorn in their side with the dancing feet routine. He still gives the ball away cheaply sometimes though and is frustrating with a final dink that doesn't come off. I suspect their second goal will be a candidate for goal of the round if not competition. An unstoppable cracking shot that Cooper and no other keeper would have got anywhere near. The sort of goal we will Danny to get week in week out. Star of the last 10 minutes was Nouble. He kept the ball in the corner for ages and kept getting either a throw in or a corner and repeating the feat. They were getting well pissed off with him. My son keeps saying you want to be next to him when the buffet comes out. You are guaranteed your share of the spoils.

The reason it was ok for a 6pm kick off today was we got paid £20k for appearing on the tele I believe. So £20k appearance money plus the winning spoils and it is a good day at the office for the banker. Not only that but we are guaranteed another payday for the next round now even if we lose.

12. notDistantGreen

Was all set up to watch this at 3pm, didn't so so at 6pm in deference to my female majority, now getting stick for not doing so. Who knew?

Great result, still conceded two, with first making it hard from a central header from a corner. Not good enough.

Still, on we go. League is what matters though.

13. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I'm not going to go along with "youth team" crap that I keep hearing said this evening. We beat a team of footballers is what we did. The age of a number of their players was no different to the age of ours. Ok a couple were youths but there have been players in the top league at their age before now so it is ability that matters not age. You could see they have been well coached. It was a good result away from home. Chorley at home next and then a hattrick of Liverpool, Man City and Man United to the last two. With all the proceeds and selling Jephcott for £15m with a 25% sell on clause in the window we storm into the Championship next season........

14. AWAY IN BC

AWAY IN BC Well-Known Member

Hey way to go Mr. S

15. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

I hope the rope anchoring you to the ground sensible is strong enough....or else you will be floating off into space soon....you haven't told us who we will beat in the final.....or who will pay £15 million for Jephcott.....we might get a good payout for Duracell Bunny as well.....and that's the best we've ever seen of Danny Mayor....need more of that from him....but of course we would lose him as well if that happened....and have no team but money in the bank and a happy owner.

16. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

Great performance and result so please repeat this in the league games, we might then surprise everyone come the end of season....

17. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

It might of helped us win...but I think fielding eleven changes in a FA Cup game is disrespectful to the tournament...and clubs substituting so many regular first team players should be fined....this for decades has been recognized as the No 1 domestic Cup competition...but if some clubs start using it as experience for fringe/youth players then....where does a lesser team beating a bigger team get any fulfillment from the Cup anymore....and would fans not see it in the same light anymore.

The days of excitement from small clubs that world renown players would be there in front of them on your own bit of turf....and them having to adapt to your tatty old changing rooms and being barracked by your own fans...will just be diluted because your only playing against U21's or youth players.....don't we already have a cup competition where that already happens.....and haven't we already said what we think of it ?

18. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

You can't blame teams higher up the food chain for fielding "other" players. Their position in the food chain is far more important financially than a one off cup competition. The games are coming thick and fast and some clubs will be playing catch up as well as completing set matches.

19. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Ryan Lowe has by playing his strongest team each FA Cup game so far... has pulled in over £100,000... plus TV fees for the club....lets hope it doesn't come back to give us selection problems in the league later through accumulating injuries... and therefore having to select a weaker team.

20. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

And in that post you answer your previous post plym, The over £100k figure includes the tv money by the way. Believe the figure publicised is £123k so far, Only winner figure given for the next round which is £90k. Not expecting it but it would be nice.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2021