1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Huddersfield Town v Watford: Saturday 14th April 2018

Discussion in 'Watford' started by Hornet-Fez, Apr 10, 2018.

1. Hornet-Fez

Hornet-Fez Well-Known Member

please log in to view this image
    V

The Kirklees Stadium
    K.O. 3:00pm

https://www.premierleague.com/video/single/651318

The only bright spot in a torrid 90+ minutes for Watford

Not even sure where to begin with this one... a touch of writer's block, I've been staring at my pad for 20 minutes, distracted a little by the events in Manchester and Rome, Gogglebox on the telly, Mrs H-F constantly asking me trivial questions (I love you dearly dear but please be quiet... yes dear, I'll put the kettle on dear...), unable in this moment to find a suitable photograph, and trying not to kick off with "This is the biggest game of the season so far".

There. I've said it. It is certainly likely to be a season defining game for both sides, the winners arrest the slide: Huddersfield with one goal and two points from their previous five matches and a significantly inferior goal difference leaving them perilously close to the drop zone; Watford seemingly yet again sleep walking their (our?) way into lower mid table failure when a top ten finish and success of a sort beckoned.

You'll note that I haven't mentioned the R word for either club. Probably more to do with the ineptitude of at least five clubs below us rather than anyone else. West Brom? Gone. Stoke, Swansea, Southampton and Palace all in a minileague of their own. Huddersfield face Everton, Arsenal, Manchester City and Chelsea after us... they're in the last chance saloon for points seemingly. Watford have it in our own hands and are probably too far ahead for everyone to catch up... but it's Watford and if any team can mess it up at the death....

That said, after the 4-1 horror show at The Vic earlier this season the Horns will have a point to prove and three to win.

Head to Head (League fixtures)
    19 Aug 1995 Huddersfield Town v Watford L 1-0 League Division 1
    08 Sep 1998 Huddersfield Town v Watford L 2-0 League Division 1
    12 Aug 2000 Huddersfield Town v Watford W 1-2 League Division 1
    29 Sep 2012 Huddersfield Town v Watford W 2-3 League Championship
    05 Oct 2013 Huddersfield Town v Watford W 1-2 League Championship*
    10 Jan 2015 Huddersfield Town v Watford L 3-1 League Championship

All of the above matches were played at the Kirklees Stadium (1994/95 season it opened) which has a capacity of 24,500. Anyone who's been there knows it's a terrific advert for modern stadia. All this talk of 30,000 capacity at Watford, this place, for my money, has everything: access; location; capacity; facilities; atmosphere; soul. Alas also a bloomin' steep hill like the Hawthorns - only longer.

*I was there - purgatory that second half, in a usual Watford way, except that we hung on. Somehow.

Last time we met:

Watford 1
    Huddersfield Town 4

Goals:
    Abdoulaye Doucouré 68

Goals:
    Elias Kachunga 6

Aaron Mooy 23

Laurent Depoitre 50

Aaron Mooy penalty 89

Deeney sent off: 33
    Hogg sent off: 61

Current Form:

24 Feb 2018 West Bromwich Albion v Huddersfield Town W 1-2
    03 Mar 2018 Tottenham Hotspur v Huddersfield Town L 2-0
    10 Mar 2018. Huddersfield Town v Swansea City D 0-0
    17 Mar 2018. Huddersfield Town v Crystal Palace L 0-2
    31 Mar 2018. Newcastle United v Huddersfield Town L 1-0
    07 Apr 2018. Brighton and Hove Albion v Huddersfield Town D 1-1

Opposition Briefing
    Huddersfield Town have been waiting a long time to live up to their history: Champions 1923-4, 24-25, 25-26 and Runners Up in 1926-27; 27-28; 33-34; FA Cup winners in 1922. These days just staying in the top flight is an achievement. Not necessarily a good thing, that, more a sign of the times.

David Wagner, German born USA international (8 caps), was the man chosen to succeed former Hornet Chris Powell as Head Coach in November 2015. 18 months later he guided The Terriers to promotion via the play-offs, beating Reading 4-3 on penalties following a 0-0 draw. He is picking up 1.35 points per match compared with JG's 1.34. Interesting!

Relegation favourites then? Yes, but they have been something of a surprise package picking up points starting at Crystal Palace and including a 2-1 win at home to Manchester Utd. The period of Christmas into February saw three draws and 5 defeats bookended by to 4-1 wins in that match at the Vic and breaking the drought against Bournemouth.

They've recently lined up in a 4-4-2 (double 6) formation [anyone????] but a 4-2-3-1 line-up is preferred at home fixtures. Their current form is dire, especially given their recent opponents.

Line up for the last match at Brighton:
    • 1Lössl (O.G.)
    • 33Hadergjonaj
    • 25Jorgensen
    • 26Schindler
    • 5Kongolo
    • 22Ince Substituted for Depoitreat 90+3'minutes
    • 6Hogg Substituted for Billingat 80'minutes
    • 10Mooy
    • 17van La Parra Substituted for Quanerat 90'minutes
    • 21Pritchard
    • 24Mounie (goal 32)
    Mounie's 7th EPL goal, 9 in total, secured the draw at Brighton. Depoitreat and van La Parra have 5 each, Mooy next with 4.
    Compare with Doucoure 7, Deeney 6, Richarlison 5, Pereyra 4.

The "Watford Observer" Man in the Middle
    Watford will hope Craig Pawson’s presence at the John Smith’s Stadium on Saturday is a positive omen.
    The South Yorkshire referee has taken charge of Watford just once before this term, but will be the man in the middle as the Hornets take on Huddersfield Town.
    Watford secured a 3-0 FA Cup third round win over Bristol City in Pawson’s only other outing in one of their games this season, a game which proved to be Marco Silva’s last win in charge of the Vicarage Road club.
    Pawson comes into the game having taken charge of 29 games this season showing 100 yellow cards and has also brandished the red on four occasions.
    He had a lively start to the campaign as he sent off two players and showed seven yellow cards in Burnley’s 3-2 defeat of champions Chelsea.
    Last season saw Pawson oversee two Watford games as they claimed a 1-1 draw with West Ham, a match in which Michail Antonio was sent off, and were beaten 1-0 by Liverpool.

Fez Sez:
    I'm up for this one. Hotel booked in Sheffield as I shall be visiting friends there, but on Saturday I will be intent on visiting each of the 6 Good Beer Guide pubs in Huddersfield, all of which are within a reasonable walking distance of the ground, the train station and each other.
    In my experience they, HTFC, have a great set of fans too: knowledgeable, hospitable, passionate.
    Only 12 of the 27 games played between the clubs have produced two goals or less, and there's yet to be a 0-0 draw. We evidently can't defend, they evidently can't defend either. Well, it's a given now isn't it?

Wherever you are in the world,
    ENJOOOOOYYY THE GAME!

YOOOOUUUUU HOOOORRRNNNSSSS

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
    Mexican Hornet and andytoprankin like this.
  2. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

Very good luck to the Golden Boys! <ok>

andytoprankin likes this.
  3. yorkshirehornet

yorkshirehornet Well-Known Member

Great stadium.....and yes i think it will be an open game..
    Yorkie and Mlle will be there... COYH!!

4. F1Hornet

F1Hornet Well-Known Member

I'm going, only my second game of the season. I am just hoping for no more dumb defending from crosses and continuing to push full throttle if we take the lead. Too much to hope for I know...

5. Markthehorn

Markthehorn Well-Known Member

They seem even less confident than us - not sure if that is a good thing or not?

6. Mexican Hornet

Mexican Hornet Well-Known Member

CLEAN SHEET PLEASE!!!

Huddersfield are not prolific scorers. We have to shut them out more than anything to back up comments from the players after the last few games with the same mistakes.

A win and safety guaranteed. How much more motivation do you need?

COYH.

Markthehorn likes this.
  7. Hornet-Fez

Feel free to add in any team news, Boys 'n' Girls.

8. Markthehorn

I don't think the club themselves know who is fit or not !

9. Hornet-Fez

Quite. I am just unlikely to be able to post the team news: busy couple of days.

Markthehorn likes this.
  10. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Tom Cleverley may not feature again before the end of the season, Watford boss Javi Gracia has confirmed.

A hamstring injury sustained in the 0-0 draw at Stoke City has kept the midfielder sidelined since the end of January and he is still someway off being fit to play.

Gracia couldn’t put a definitive timeline on the midfielder’s return and says he is behind both Gerard Deulofeu (broken toe) and Nathaniel Chalobah (fractured kneecap) in his recovery.

11. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Watford’s injury crisis in defence has lessened somewhat in recent weeks and Gracia confirmed both Craig Cathcart and Christian Kabasele are in contention to start against Huddersfield Town tomorrow.

Cathcart came off the bench against Bournemouth, but selection would represent an immediate recall for Kabasele should he start.

12. Markthehorn

Well would you start them?

I actually think it might be a bit harsh on Mariappa and Prodl in general but we really do need to improve our defending at set pieces.

Lawro doesn't have us down to lose - is that a good thing?

Merson reckons 2-1 to the Terriers.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
  13. Mexican Hornet

We can´t defend so we´ll have to try to outscore them.

14. brian_66_usa

brian_66_usa Well-Known Member

Anyone think we could change our keeper for this game ?

15. andytoprankin

andytoprankin Well-Known Member

I’d stick with Karnezis. He’s been all right, I think, and the CBs should be used to him a bit (even if we haven’t seen obvious benefits of their partnership <laugh>).

16. brian_66_usa

I have not seen that many of his games its just he might be thinking how many he has conceited everyone has been saying he has been doing well

17. Mexican Hornet

Whole back line needs a shake up IMHO.

18. brian_66_usa

And Gomes will shake them up (he is a good talker ) does Karnezis talk much ?

19. andytoprankin

andytoprankin Well-Known Member

Very fair point. A like it when good keepers are gobby, keeping the back line on their toes.

20. brian_66_usa

He can also see more than they can