1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

How will Drinkwater be remembered?

Discussion in 'Leicester City' started by nzfoxfan, Sep 1, 2017.

1. nzfoxfan

nzfoxfan Well-Known Member

It seems Kante's reputation is untarnished and will always be remembered favorably. Danny Drinkwater helped us win the Championship and was a major influence in our Premiership winning team yet doesn't seem to be thought of so warmly. Cost about 400k gave us 5 good seasons and sold for 35m. Sounds like a legend to me so why are others so critical?

2. BigFox

BigFox Well-Known Member

Simple - he was a backup to James during the Championship winning season and Great Escape so tbh didn't matter in the long run.

Yes he really found his form during the Premier League winning season and we thought we had something special but last season he was absolute **** and so made Kante look even better that he was able to drag excellent performances out of him.

Most people's responses will be like on this board - so long and thanks for all the fish but we've really scalped Chelsea.

Bodinki likes this.
  3. JohnTheFox

JohnTheFox Well-Known Member

There's a feeling amoungst many (not me) that Kante carried him. I think the way he requested the transfer so close to the deadline leaves a sour taste. I'm happy if we've got Silva as a replacement which we wait to see

4. BucksFox

BucksFox Well-Known Member

I think some people remember Drinkwater as being someone whose only talent was to launch the quick balls behind the opposition defence for Vardy to run onto in the title winning season. And there's no doubt that it was a successful operation. But that was only ever going to work for one season until teams started to take us seriously and realised how to play against it. Last season the tactic didn't work, but with Vardy as our main striker who can't play any other way, we still had to try the same thing, which meant that the ratio of success to failure dropped and we conceded possession far too easily.

What some people forget is just how often he broke up opponents' attacks and started us playing again. He is good in tight situations, has quick feet and drove the team forwards. His perceived lack of defensive positioning in the eyes of some was down to the fact that one of our 2 central midfielders had to support the attack and as the senior midfielder that task inevitably fell to him rather than Ndidi. That meant that as soon as the strikers lost the ball and countered quickly he was sometimes stranded up the pitch. That was down to the team's general lack of ability in retaining possession rather than Drinkwater's fault. No player can be in 2 places at one time.

In my opinion he was always a better player than Matty James, and I could never understand why he didn't feature alongside Cambiasso, even though he replaced the master the following season.

I guess some fans just have it in for certain players as they only focus on the negatives. I think we'll miss his effort, energy and determination as well as his ability.

Now that he has gone, I would like to see us us overhaul the way the team plays and concentrate on retaining possession better. If we accept that you can't concede if you have possession, then the opposite side of the coin says you are more likely to concede if you don't have it. With our 30% possession rate, it means we are much more likely to concede, especially when we gift the ball away in stupid positions. I don't know about others, but this frustrates the hell out of me and just looks so amateurish. Get the players to hold onto the ball and get others supporting and confident in possession. There's nothing wrong in using the quick counter attack, but it mustn't be our only weapon.

nzfoxfan likes this.
  5. Barwellfox

Barwellfox Well-Known Member

I will always remember Danny for the way he tore us apart when playing for Barnsley. It wasnt a long ball over the top - he was playing defence splitting short passes which we had no defence against. He will do well at Chelsea and will be able to play the game that is more suited to him the way he was developed at Man U. Wish him all he best and sorry to see him go.

Diego and jambawamba like this.
  6. BigFox

BigFox Well-Known Member

What I remember is his massive drop in form from 2 seasons ago to last season - like you said, he was an important player for us and his inability to do any of the things that you listed above was a major reason for our crap performances.

Now he is gone I don't give an iota about him - I think he will do well with Kante covering his shortcomings again but I am a Leicester fan first and foremost.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
  7. FosseFilberto

FosseFilberto Pizzeria Superiore and some ...
    Forum Moderator

I'll think of him fondly (as I will all members of the squad that made the impossible dream happen).

He was, however, rather inconsistent for us if you look at his whole time with us.

I wish him all the best - but am excited about the prospect of Adrien Silva coming in (if it happens) perhaps more than I would have been than the prospect of DD returning from injury, if I'm completely honest. :cool:

Jack Lesterfan and AstroFox like this.
  8. Proud Fox

Proud Fox Well-Known Member

Drinkwater leaves here as a legend no doubt about it. Played a massive role for the club in 2 league title wins. He was an outstanding player for the club

While its a shame he has left the club im not exactly gutted with us getting £35M and Silva

Jack Lesterfan and AstroFox like this.
  9. BigFox

BigFox Well-Known Member

No news yet on Silva - we are waiting on FIFA to get their act together.

Silva is still in Leicester - hopefully someone has taken him to Marylands to sample the local cuisine.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/foot...bon-Transfer-News-Rumours-Gossip-Deadline-Day

10. leicester_ed

leicester_ed Well-Known Member

Absolute club legend in my eyes

nzfoxfan likes this.

11. leicesterlove

leicesterlove Active Member

I'd like to think everyone will think well of him, regardless of who he played well alongside. We got him for £1m and sold him on for £35m. He always gave his all when he played which is all you can ask from anyone, he was a bit more ineffective last season, probably because teams set up differently against us, but his effort never dropped. Everyone who played any part in the 2015-16 season will always be remembered fondly by me.

12. Foxy in Foyle

Foxy in Foyle Well-Known Member

This too for me.