1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

How tough is 2021-22 looking already?

Discussion in 'Portsmouth' started by devonFRATTONiser, May 22, 2021.

1. devonFRATTONiser

devonFRATTONiser Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Well girls and boys (etc - actually scrub that - I don't do politically correct :headbang:)

Sunderland have been beaten on aggregate by Lincoln so will be spending another season on League One.

This is looking like a very difficult division to get out of next term.

Us, Sunderland, Sheffield Wednesday, Bolton, Ipswich, Charlton, one or both of Blackpool & Oxford.

I don't think Wycombe will bounce back but I reckon Rotherham will. Throw in teams that under-performed this season, like Doncaster and Gillingham and you've pretty much got the top half of he table scrambling for the top two or top six.

What do you reckon will happen?

Wooperts_duck likes this.
  2. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

I would add Wigan to that list. Of all the fancied teams, there will be a team able to live with the fancied runner and riders. It will be interesting to see how Bolton will do.

3. Wooperts_duck

Wooperts_duck Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Agree will be more difficult next season to secure promotion to the Championship, will be interesting to see how much money both Sunderland and Ipswich will have to spend on new players pre season. Fervently believe there will be plenty of decent players available on free transfers, and Pompey must make certain that they sign their fair share, as we are releasing a large number of our existing players at the moment.

Good also to see the clearout of existing back room staff like Joe Gallen and Jake Wigley, but sorry to see goal keeping coach John Keeley depart, as feel he had done a decent job in the past with our keepers.

4. Sharpe*

Sharpe* Senior Member

Could well be difficult.

We are selling/releasing so many players that the quantity that come in could struggle to gel in time.

I am also concerned whether we will bring the quality in needed.

If we have a bad run there will likely be some serious discontent.

Not at Cowley's but the way the club is being run.

We've gone backwards past few years and there is no quick fix.

Owners are as tight as a ducks arse.