1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

How Much Are We Doing For Next Season?

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by SFC4BAG, Apr 10, 2011.

1. SFC4BAG

SFC4BAG Well-Known Member

Seeing how organised our club seems to be nowadays what plans do we think that will already be in place?

How many plans do we think are already installed and what players are we looking at in the case of our getting promotion?

2. JDub

JDub Well-Known Member

We're not getting promoted. We'll fail in the playoffs.

3. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Is this a double bluff. The opposite of what you really feel in case fate is listening? I think NC will have plans for both eventualities. A trip to Barbados with his promotion bonus or a weekend in Margate.

4. SFC4BAG

That's not the answer I was expecting I must admit. I have been told by a Rotherham supporter that we had scouts at Dom Valley this wek and we also had two scouts at their game at Cheltenham. Supposedly watching a couple of players.

5. fran-MLs little camera

I'm sure scouting is going on. It's a continuous process and NA will have targets if we are in the Championship. NC will authorise some purchases if we're promoted because he will a) want to stay there and b) push for a 2nd promotion. Everything is in limbo at the moment. The great thing about being in the Championship is we will be able to attract players more.

6. KingslandSFC

KingslandSFC Active Member

JDub ... nice counter attacking on fate!

I think we should keep talk of the Championship on the quiet til we know for certain we have been promoted , otherwise we will be the ones with egg on our faces!

One game at a time!

7. bristolsaint

bristolsaint Member

I'm prepared to tempt fate and say I am confident we will go up. Being a life long Saints fan has taught me to laugh in the face of disappointment.

NA will be constantly looking for players who can strengthen the side while retaining the balance and the wage structure. The days of us signing a Keegan or ball are long gone, so no headline signings. I would like to see CM-S come to us if posh stay down.

COYS

8. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

One of the criticisms levelled at NA in the early days was that he didn't have the same contacts or reputation as Pardew, and wouldn't have been able to lure top players (like Fonte etc.) to Southampton. With success this season, plus the kudos of 3 promotions behind him, plus the financial backing that Saints will have in the Championship, I have no doubt that NA will be able to strengthen the side.

Having said that, Norwich, fielding a side essentially the same as the one we took 4 points off last season, are currently 2nd in the Championship, so maybe we don't need to strengthen very much?

9. fran-MLs little camera

In the Championship we will find it easier to attract players. A few years ago we were a Prem club and will be seen (with our set up) as a good club to join. I also think that NA is canny and knows the sort of players that we need. Some of the top clubs awash with money just buy expensive players and pay too much for them just for the sake of it. Give NA a reasonable sum and he will spend wisely on players we need that will fit into the team.

10. SFC4BAG

I can see that NA has your trust Fran in much the same way as he has mine. I agree that we will be busy scouting for the future and would not be at all surprised to see us grabbing three or four players in the summer. Not too many purchases I hope as we will have some of our younger players busting a gut to get a game.

Martin, Gobern, Doble spring immediately to mind.

I am also wondering whether we will see a stronger reserve/U21 side when we get promoted.

11. Joe!

Joe! Well-Known Member

I'm hoping to see a very similar side next season, with maybe two or three new additions to the squad. It's all about continuity when moving up to the Championship. If we don't lose any key players we'll be pretty strong contenders already.

12. North Hants Saint

North Hants Saint Active Member

This.

The spine of the team (eg Fonte , Schneiderlin , Lambert) are vitally important along with our bright sparks Lallana/Chamberlain. I think the team we have ATM , along with a few quality additions on loan like Notts Forest and Cardiff have done could get us into the top 8. Next season (if we do go up) is just about tying big players down , as I'm sure Fonte and Lambert will be more than happy playing in the Championship as I think that's probably about their level with the quality they're showing right now.

If Cortese backs Adkins then I have full faith in him, the tactical nous he's shown so far has been spot on and he's tied down the loan players to contract , however Dale Stephens may be the unfortunate one to not receive one because of his injury which is a big shame as he looks a decent enough player on the ball to be a back-up in the Championship.

The futures bright..