1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

How many new players do we bring in?

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Saintalona, Jun 29, 2014.

1. Saintalona

Saintalona Well-Known Member

We all know now that most of our top players will be gone by the start of the new season.

The question is what do we do now? Sign two or three new players and fill the holes in our first with youth.

Or we splash out as many quality players as we need? Hope that they can learn to work as team quickly?

I hope we don't go for second rate players! I'd rather take a risk and pay top dollar youth players with good potential.

Let's put it to the vote... Edited how do I add a poll after publishing?

2. - Doing The Lambert Walk

- Doing The Lambert Walk Well-Known Member

3. Saintalona

You don't think that will have an adverse effect on the remain players and morale?

We might end up struggling like QPR or Spurs with having to many new untried players who don't know how to play together?

4. - Doing The Lambert Walk

Could do, depends on the quality of those coming in though, I guess.

We certainly need more than is usually regarded as 'safe'.

5. SaintsFan86

SaintsFan86 Well-Known Member

Looking at the Squad, This is Minimal.

1 GK, 2 CBS if Lovren leaves, 1 LB, 2 AM, 2 Strikers

6. Saintalona

Yes usually I would go with caution and would be against signing to many new players. But we have to throw caution to the wind and sign as many players as we need and hope we can avoid relegation.

7. Saints FC 76

Saints FC 76 Well-Known Member

We needed probably three before all our players decided they wanted to leave.

8. AL.

AL. Well-Known Member

I get what your point is Saintalona, but unfortunately our squad is very thin on the ground. If Osvaldo isn't back in the picture, then we have 1 fit striker (who is 18), we have no LB and we would have lost the two most creative players in our team: Lambert and Lallana. They need replacing. If Lovren goes, a CB is a must, if it wasn't already.

9. Saintalona

Not necessarily, if I was player a youth, squad or fringe player. This is a great opportunity for them to stake there claim in our first 11. I wouldn't be happy if this meant relying on our older reserve team players.

I'm hoping this means our up and coming youth players can show us how great they are!

10. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Well I hope we end up struggling like Spurs... It'll be tough and a little disappointing, but I will eventually come to terms with finishing 6th :)

11. Saintalona

That is the best we can hope for but I'm really worried that we could do a QPR and suffer a painful slow season at the bottom of the table :(

12. Dark Lord SFC

Dark Lord SFC Well-Known Member

We needed a minimum of four additional first team players last season (GK, CB, WM & ST) and that hasn't changed. Then we need to replace everyone who leaves so somewhere between 3 (that have already deserted us) and well your guess is as good as mine.
    To simply buy 3 or 4 players and rely on our youngsters will see us drop like a stone into the championship as the other relegation contenders will not loose many of their players and will strengthen.

13. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Gloria Gaynor time. Don't be afraid.

14. Puck

Puck Well-Known Member

Probably at least 8.

We need a new keeper (I'd probably go for a relatively cheap, experienced backup this summer), a new first choice LB and new first choice CB are essentials and I'd also want an upgrade on Hooiveld/Yoshida. A replacement for Lallana is also essential and I'd want someone to cover for J-Rod. Ideally we'd replace Schneiderlin too but if JWP and Reed are ready to step up their involvement we might just about get away without one. I think we need 2 forwards as well.

15. Mostlymadeofwater

Mostlymadeofwater Well-Known Member

Difficult balance. Don't want to end up with the problems spurs faced, but equally it looks like we will need to replace a significant number of players. It looks like we will fail to shut up shop and say that's it, so may be dodgy for the first few months. Maybe we would be better with 5 or 6 now and 2 or 3 in January? Better to have fewer very high quality players than more mediocre ones (obviously!)

16. lamby

lamby Needs a cold shower

Ron hasn't come for a relegattion fight.

17. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

9 or 10.

18. Beddy

Beddy Plays the percentage

Realistically we have to replace the players we lose especially from the first team. Then we have to gel them into a team......guys we are going to struggle this year.....Don't expect a top 10 finish. We will be fortunate to actually survive in the premier. I truly hope I am proved wrong though.
    I also do not think we have the quality of youngsters coming through yet so if Katrina is hoping to do this on the cheap she will sadly be in for a big shock. We tried that once didn't we and we nearly went out of business. I am just hoping that history is not about to repeat itself.
    Sorry to be such a party pooper on a Sunday afternoon but oh boy am definitely down in the dumps regarding Saints and their immediate prospects.

19. SouthamptonFCroatia

SouthamptonFCroatia Well-Known Member

I don't think we need a new keeper. We finished eight with Boruc/Gazza combo!

A new reliable keeper would be nice, but it's not an absolute must.

20. - Doing The Lambert Walk

We'll be bringing in a new keeper. Sure of it.