1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

How long would you give Powell this season ?

Discussion in 'Charlton' started by User deleted as requested, Aug 26, 2013.

1. User deleted as requested

User deleted as requested Well-Known Member

Personally I won't be calling for his head until the Millwall game. If we turn in a performance as bad as last seasons against the Lions, and are still in the Bottom 3....then to coin a phrase from Betty Boothroyd ..."times up".

I don't want another season in Div 3 programming my sat nav for Shrewsbury and Hartlepool.

Despite his achievements as a player and manager, no one person is bigger than the Club. Or shouldn't be

2. The Kish

The Kish Well-Known Member

I think I've been one of the few Powell-sceptics on here until this recent and welcome migration but personally I wouldn't get rid until at least December if absoultley necessary - Primarily that's because as is now it would be undeserved and because as is now there is no-one better available...

3. typical

typical Well-Known Member

He is all but gone anyway. The contract has less than 8 months and unless he gets promotion them he won't stay. If we are bottom 6 at Xmas he might have to jump anyway to save his career

4. Ponders Revisited

Ponders Revisited Well-Known Member

I think any fiddler (manager) would struggle to get a tune (performance) from this old fiddle (team) at the moment.

But seeing how CP bought the instrument and got such a good tune out of it at the back end of last season, then he must be accountable for some of the God-awful dins we have been hearing this term. Hopefully, though, all we need to see and hear is a tune-up, the stringing of some new strings, and a polishing of the creaky, old wood.

However, if we do not hear the luscious tones of a Stradivarius by Christmas, then CP must be relegated to playing the triangle.

5. shuffles67

shuffles67 Member

I don't know how much of the blame can be laid at Chris Powells door when by all accounts the people who own us are trying desperately to sell us and were losing x amounts of pounds every month so there is nothing in the transfer kitty

6. Addick4Life

Addick4Life Active Member
    Forum Moderator

lol! Am sorry but we shouldnt even be asking how long Powell has, not for a season at least anyway!!

Over the last two years we won League One at a canter and finished 9th in the Championship (where the Squad have admitted we overachieved last season).

We got rid of Curbishley because we werent progressing quick enough... Now I know you dont want to be entering Shrewsbury and Hartlepool into your Sat-Nav (I dont either) but give him time - If not who do you replace him with (and dont say Gus Poyet etc... because its obvious we cant afford that standard)

We've lost two games this season (1) against Bournemouth (just promoted so had a point to prove) (2) against Middlesbrough (who are becoming a bogey side for us...) - It may have been an easy start looking at the fixture list but no games in this division are easy.

And this is Charlton... We always beat the bigger teams (i.e. Cardiff / Blackburn / Watford / Leicester) to the teams around us

7. Ken Shabby

Ken Shabby Well-Known Member

I'm never a fan of managerial shufflig. While I agree with the comments about no one is bigger than the club, and that a lot of people get starry eyed and won't face facts, not a lot of our current situation is his doing, and given his budget, he deserves a fair bit of loyalty from the fans for trying to stick by the club. If he wanted away, I'm sure his agent could have fixed up a couple of interviews on the quiet, and we'd be facing the unknown again.

8. Pringle-poppin'

VVA, you are turning into a bit of a WUM on here. Can everyone just calm down, take a step back with speculating who got paid late, when Powell will get sacked, that we are too broke to buy paddy some new brooms, etc etc etc. This place used to be an enjoyable forum with some fair debates and opinions, that some may not have agreed with, but always respected. Lets take a bit more time before we judge this season. If you remember, many believed we would be dead by xmas at this stage last year. Alas, it turned out a pretty impressive season, entertaining games too. Cheers

9. Scratchingvalleycat

Scratchingvalleycat Active Member

Well said Pringle

Losing to Milwall is a match not a season - we still finished ahead of them

The speculation about who is being paid appears to come from the axe grinder in chief as is a lot of the information being received by the papers who have no need to verify it if reported as rumours

Yes we lost a catering manager and others at the club have gone. Yes that is a worry but so is William Hague trying to take the UK into Syria. If the club files for administration or voluntary liquidation I will obviously be concerned. If we play as badly as we did in the first twenty minutes on Saturday on a decent pitch, I will be concerned. If little Rickie loses his employment tribunal I wont give a stuff, if he wins it I will begrudge some of the money from my season ticket going to pay him off.

I am a football supporter and one that supports the strange concept that is Charlton Athletic because it is the team I supported as a kid and is the closest league team to where I was born. It has my loyalty as a supporter until it does something wrong such as try and merge with Palace. However what I support is a concept, not players or managers who move on to other clubs, not owners who buy and sell, hire and fire, not catering or operational managers not ground staff. They all go to add value to the concept but the concept itself is stronger than this.

I need another pint...

10. Ponders Revisited

Ponders Revisited Well-Known Member

I like this concept, SVC.

11. Addick4Life

Addick4Life Active Member
    Forum Moderator

Really well said SVC and Pringle!!

12. ForestHillBilly

ForestHillBilly Well-Known Member

The Doctor is managing under very very difficult conditions. If the owners do sack him they'll undoubtedly take the cheap option and replace him from within the club, I think V-a-V mentioned Paul Hart as a candidate. Jason Euell might be even cheaper, and he'd be working under the same conditions. Anyone calling for the manager's head should bear this in mind.

13. User deleted as requested

Pringle

What a daft comment. How is WUMing the same as exchanging views and opinions ?

I have missed just one game so far. Currently, we are ****e. We look like a boat heading downstream without paddles and a rudder. Something needs to be done before we hit the rocks. Of course Millwall is massive . It's our local pride Cup Final. I spent a week on the toilet after last seasons home game. Do you realise how many Millwall fans live in Bromley ??. They never go, but they live in Bromley.

Paul Hart is the obvious, in house replacement IMO.

14. User deleted as requested

More pretty daft and ill informed anti Rick Everitt guff.

Scratching - did you ever go to Selhurst for our home games mate ?

15. OzAddick

OzAddick Member

I cant believe the question is asked but sadly that's world football in this day. Who else would do better (and why) with what we have at hand ? No one.

16. User deleted as requested

@ Oz

With respect...when you go 3-0 down at home to Doncaster after 22 mins, the question is not 'who could do better' but ' how bad could things get?'

17. CAFC TED

CAFC TED Well-Known Member

I would keep Chrissy even if we did go down (as long as it wasn't embarrassing like 30 points adrift of 23rd).

IF we were to sack him I'd have to go for Terry Butcher, always liked him and think he would bring lots of passion to us, and pretty sure he'd know a class CB when he sees one.

But still In Powell We (or at least I) Trust <cheers>

18. OzAddick

OzAddick Member

Yeah I saw that score too, but how can a manager who has taken us where he has in the last two seasons be considered offcuts. It looks bad, one 22 minute snap of a game. 3 or 4 proper matches ago we were one of the fastest finishing teams in the league.

You have to let the season unfold, and hopefully that incorporates a player or two coming our way and one or two of the present 'coming from nowhere' form-wise.

Where have you been Vol, (on a sidenote) ?

19. SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious

CP is having the carpet pulled from under him. I really don't see a change in manager making a difference. If any it will be a hinderance as they might not care as much as CP does.

He and the players need our support.

20. User deleted as requested

Oz

Only stumbled on this site recently
    previously been busy on into the valley and CL
    Great to see so many old chums on here

Only missing Irish Addick and a2c...