1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

How does everyone feel about Warburton now?

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by awjm, Mar 6, 2021.

1. awjm

awjm Well-Known Member

How does everyone feel about Warburton now?

Seems like a very nice guy but I can't see us going much further with him. I can see him making some further improvements, especially if more players come in over the Summer. But I personally don't think we're ever going to really challenge for a playoff spot under him. Happy to be proven wrong, though.

He sort of feels like an interim manager, in a way.

I'm not knocking him really. He stepped in when not many people would have taken the job. At times, he's gotten us through some tricky games and out of tricky patches. And I would definitely stick with him for now, for stability reasons, and fish for a higher quality manager only when the time is right / when it's the right person, even if that takes another season or two.

But if I was in charge at QPR, I'd always have an eye out for available managers.

Does anyone think Warburton has got more than the above in him?

2. Sutfol

Sutfol Well-Known Member

Felt we had become too one-dimensional and predictable recently and wondered if he only knew one way of playing. Today felt different with a changed starting line up and a generally different style of play. I think top 10 would be good this season given the limited resources we have.

awjm likes this.
  3. awjm

awjm Well-Known Member

I can't really see us getting into the top ten, but I hope so. It would give a good feeling about the club going into next season.

And I also was a bit confused by his game plan over the last three or so games. He seemed to tell the team to go really direct and abandon the passing play, which was weird because the passing play had been working.

4. Wherever

Wherever Well-Known Member

I like Warburton and hope he stays and keeps improving us. We seem to have a plan and a direction for the first time in years. We have been easier to support these last two years. I feel there is a team emerging here. I just want a top half finish this year, next year 8th or so would do nicely and so on.
    I think he has more about him than you mentioned.
    As for keeping an eye out for a new manager, we’ve done that too often, too quickly, with our budget we seriously couldn’t hope for more.

5. awjm

awjm Well-Known Member

Fair enough. I hope he does surprise me.

And don't get me wrong; I don't think we should pull the trigger now. But I mean just listen out for a really good manager becoming available. I would happily wait a season or two for a really good manager. I wouldn't want to replace him with someone who might be marginally better.

Wherever likes this.
  6. QPR Oslo

QPR Oslo Well-Known Member

If you think a second or two about who he has lost due to financial reasons and expired contracts, and then how we've done last season, 13th I think, and how well we have done to date this.. He' a facking hero.

7. Ninj

Ninj Well-Known Member

I think that MW will stay. Earlier this season I was getting frustrated when we didnt appear to ultilise the squad. I now wonder whether the BOS situation (and what went on behind the scenes) had more of an impact then perhaps any of us realised. Come Jan and new loanees come in, and BOS goes. It is almost a different team. If we can keep the loanees then maybe they is a chance to progress further next year.
    MW has done the best he can with our severly restricted finances. However, to sell Eze for almost £20 mill shows that he can develop younger players. It makes a change having a manager in place for longer than a year. Lets not forget that whilst none of us are too keen on Brentford, he did start laying down the foundations which have helped get mIddlesex's finest in their best positions for many a year.
    MW needs to stay. Along with the recent loans

awjm likes this.
  8. rangercol

rangercol Well-Known Member

What was the different style of play today?
    I didn't see the game.

9. Sooperhoop

Sooperhoop Well-Known Member

Keep him, the January signings have made a hell of a difference. We seem to be a more cohesive unit, steadier at the back and with Charlie have someone who can get the goals. If we have a summer of consolidating the team without selling our better players and add a couple more experienced players we may be able to challenge the play-off places. If we do sell Dieng and Chair you can expect more of the see-saw results we've been used to and MW may decide it's not worth staying...

QPR999, awjm, SW Ranger and 2 others like this.
  10. rangercol

I'll be surprised if there's too much interest in Chair.
    May be difficult to hold on to Dieng.

Tramore Ranger and Staines R's like this.

11. Staines R's

Staines R's Well-Known Member

Is there anyone better out there ? Keep Charlie for next season, maybe get Wells (I can dream) then we could really be challenging

Tramore Ranger likes this.
  12. Uber_Hoop

Uber_Hoop Well-Known Member

I think the topic of whether Warburton should be replaced or not will be out of QPR’s hands if there’s a managerial vacancy at Real Madrid or Barca in the Summer, as they’re bound to be eyeing him up enviously.

IwasanotherwatfordR and awjm like this.
  13. rangercol

I'm not convinced Warburton is particularly good tactically.
    However, the players seem to like playing for him. Plus he does like to play a passing game, which I like.
    Keep Dieng.
    Make De Wilj, Charlie and Johansen permanent and get a couple of wing backs.
    Achieve all that for next season and maybe Warburton could get us into the play offs.

awjm, jeffranger and QPRski like this.
  14. rangercol

Taken directly from the Stan book of sarcasm. :emoticon-0100-smile

Uber_Hoop likes this.
  15. QPR Oslo

Re Dieng I hope all the Recruiters get a video of the Barnsley game, and not the rest of his games this season.

Ninj, rangercol and Uber_Hoop like this.
  16. Frome-Ranger

Frome-Ranger Well-Known Member

By May he'll have been in charge for 2 years which is remarkable for a recent QPR manager. I've been frustrated at times but working with one of the lowest budgets in the league and losing all of last season's goal scorers I'd say he's doing a decent job.

Keeping Field, Johansen, De Wijs and Austin permanently and not losing Chair and Dieng in the summer we could be a much different prospect next season.

I'd give Carroll a new deal as well.

17. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Warm and fuzzy.

But if we lose against Wycombe I’ll be cold and spiky.

A draw, tepid and a little scratchy.

I’m that shallow.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
    Frome-Ranger likes this.
  18. Hoop-Leif

Hoop-Leif Well-Known Member

I, like most others, would really like to see us tie these guys up to permanent contracts in the summer.

Realistically though, how optimistic are we that we could procure all four?

Frome-Ranger likes this.
  19. Staines R's

Staines R's Well-Known Member

Theres more chance of me getting a decent pay rise.

awjm, Hoop-Leif and jeffranger like this.
  20. QPR Oslo

From the little we saw of De Wijs he looked much like a young version of Cameron to me, big, solid, passed ok, left footed, not much quicker than Cameron, probably does not have his passing vision, and looks more injury prone. I'd prefer Cameron's eventual replacement to have a bit more speed, as our back 3 lack that. Barbet and Dickie aren't too quick, nor is Masterson. Kakay would give that, but he needs more experience as a CB, maybe a loan would do him good.