1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours How do you rate our 2023 January Transfer Window?

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by BrunelGunner, Jan 31, 2023.

1. BrunelGunner

BrunelGunner Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

So to summarise, this is the list of all the incomings and out goings this month.

In:

Leandro Trossard - £21m from Brighton & Hove Albion
    Jakub Kiwior - £17.6m from Spezia Calcio
    Jorginho - £12m from Chelsea

Out:

Albert Sambi Lokonga - loaned to Crystal Palace
    Cedric Soares - loaned to Fulham
    Marquinhos - loaned to Norwich City

Academy & U21s:

Harry Clarke - permanent transfer to Ipswich Town - £1m fee
    Brooke Norton-Cuffy - loaned to Coventry City
    Miguel Azeez - loaned to Wigan Athletic
    Omar Rekik - loaned to Wigan Athletic
    Kido Taylor-Hart - loaned to Derby County
    Arthur Okonkwo - loaned to SK Sturm Graz
    Ovie Ejheri - loaned SJK Seinäjoki
    Tom Smith - loaned to Colchester United
    Nathan Butler-Oyedeji - loaned to Accrington Stanley
    Taylor Foran - loaned to Hartlepool United

Although I think we've improved the quality of our 18 first team players, I still think we're a bit short in midfield and don't really have sufficient cover on the right wing (no update on Reiss Nelson's whereabouts from anyone). We're going to have to be a bit lucky and hope we don't suffer any fatal injuries for the rest of the season.

I included the academy loans because I think there are a number of good moves in there for some of our younger players, some of whom are quite highly rated (Taylor-Hart, Okonkwo, Norton-Cuffy etc).

Overall, I'd say the window was a 7/10 - some important squad positions filled, but more could have been done.

2. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

It's interesting you know the reaction to this window is soo mixed. Arsenal fans have long been the most vocal on social media and transfer windows have become massive events. It's come to the stage that false stories get thousands of retweets. There's a whole industry of wanna be agents/journalists.

Any move made by scouting teams, Edu etc.. get scrutinised and blown out of proportion. I have no doubt our fan base is a detriment when it comes to signing players. They create hype when its best to work silently, they get emotional when rumoured player transfers don't materialise.

Every Club has this in 2023 but Arsenal fans are next level.

Trossard is a good signing - adds experience, will suit our style of play, allows for more rotation.
    Kiwior looks decent, still young, wasn't huge money so the risk is less. Hard to Judge until we see him play in the EPL.
    Jorginho this is the tricky one. Only a year ago the guy came 3rd in Ballon d'Or! Soo for 12 million that seems like an absolute bargain. I guess it depends how his fitness and pace hold up at 32. (He's never been the fastest player)

Glad to see Lokonga get a loan - they guy needs games to develope.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2023
    straycat_67 likes this.
  3. BrunelGunner

Forum Moderator

I agree with a lot of what you say, but I also think a lot of people got drawn in by Chelsea's unprecedented amount of spending and because they were able to sign a lot of the hottest properties on the market, it is naturally underwhelming when you go for players who aren't as 'shiny' or 'spectacular' in comparison.

That said, I think it was a fairly solid window for us and I think we made sensible signings - my worries are that we still lack a bit of depth in the centre (unless we plan on using ESR/Vieira in deeper positions or if Arteta can tweak this system to accommodate them where necessary) and we lack natural width on the right. Saka and Nelson are our only 2 right wingers. Nelson's been injured for ages now, though, and there's been no update recently regarding his recovery. I don't want us to burn Saka out, as he looked a bit jaded in the last game.

As I said, hopefully there are no more long-term absentees for the remainder of the season.

On the plus side, it seems as if Gabriel Jesus is back in light training so could be back in about 3 weeks (reportedly). That will be a big boost.

straycat_67 likes this.
  4. TheBear

Jesus will be a huge boost, Nketiah is scoring goals for fun but we miss Gabriels ability to take on players, pull defenders out of position on and lay the ball off in tight spaces.

Chelsea's spending just seems insane to me. When you send big money on a young player the risk is often greater because they may not develop into the talent you expect. One of the main reasons traditionally younger players where cheaper.(not any more!) For sure some of these guys will flop and won't get the game time they need to develop. The other thing is it doesn't seem like they are addressing squad weaknesses just adding good young players regardless of position. How many wide players does a squad need?

5. TheBear

If we land our reported targets in the Summer.. how do you rate this as a squad?

Ramsdale
    / Turner

White / Tomiyasu
    Saliba / White
    Gabriel / Kiwior
    Zinchenko / Tierney

Partey / Caceido
    Rice / Xhaka
    Odegaard / Viera

Saka / Trossard
    Martinelli / Smith-Rowe
    Jesus / Nketiah

6. BrunelGunner

Forum Moderator

Let’s not forget we have Balogun coming back too, who is absolutely killing it in Ligue 1. I think he’s joint-top scorer with Mbappe on 14 goals. What a loan spell.

Gonna have a headache trying to fit Jesus, Nketiah and Balogun into the side getting regular minutes, but it’s a good problem to have.

I still think we need another midfielder if we sell Lokonga/Elneny personally.

Will also be interesting to see if we send Marquinhos on loan again for the entire season this time or whether we think he can be part of the squad.

TheBear likes this.
  7. BrunelGunner

Forum Moderator

Just as I was questioning Nelson’s whereabouts - it’s good to have him back.

gooner4ever likes this.
  8. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

Isn't there a young player called Edwards who has had good reviews? There seems to be enough natural talent in London these days, so why the need to scout the globe.

9. TheBear

Also you have to say as good as Jorginho has been lately... Partey made a big difference, His pace and ball winning allowed us to completely dominate that midfield.

Ah wrong thread.