1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

HOW DO WE AVOID RELEGATION ?

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by Plymborn, Nov 19, 2017.

1. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Home league record so far 2017/18 season.

P9...W1...D2...L6...GF6...GA19...5 PTS.....that equals ....0.67 pts per game.

That is the least pts in the Division.
    Also the least goals scored....equal with Northampton.

That in anyone's judgement is nailed on relegation form.

Our away form could be seen as average...we've scored more goals and you could also say that our defence as been quite mean in giving goals away....no one as beaten us by more than the odd goal.

So what is wrong at home.
    1.....Obviously the number one problem is Red cards and generally early ones.

2.....Only once all season in the league, home or away have we scored more than one goal in a match and that was our very first home game against a promotion chasing Charlton.

3.....Does Adams set us up too defensively....not just away but at home as well.....do we sit back and try and hit opposition on the break....which worked well at Blackburn with two players available to put the ball in the net...Jervis and Grant...if my memory serves me right.

4.....Do we rely too much on Carey cutting in from the right and trying to work an opening for his left foot...all teams know that that is our most dangerous tactic.

5..... Injuries have been a problem as well, McCormick, Letheren, te Loeke are goalies...but Threlkeld although a defender has been a provider for goals to be scored....Ryan Taylor had been brought in during the summer to be our main target striker...crocked in the first game at Peterborough...meaning that we have had to rely on Blissett , Ciftci and Fletcher none of them producing the goods required.
    Adams has had difficulty bringing in a replacement...ok he brought in Ciftci but he has found Div1 football harder than Scottish football....he was successful on the free market finding mid-fielder Toumani Diagourara but a striker hasn't been forthcoming.

6.....So what the hell do we do...do we change our style of play to be more attacking and end up with no defence at all....and can Adams play any other way anyrate...what do you lot think....somethings got to changes....because this pattern of play is leading to Div2 and that would really hurt and certainly would be the end of Adams.

2. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

There is talk of Ryan Taylor possibly being available for next Saturday....It will take him awhile to get up to speed, but even then I see him as an old fashioned target man who scores a few goals as well....I don't think he will not make much of a difference.

Now did Oscar Threlkeld come back to soon and because of that he has doubled his recovery time ?....or is there something else happening here to keep him out.....he certainly didn't get much sympathy from Derek Adams when he needed to come off before H/T on his return....talk of him having to play through the pain barrier was suggested...but did he do more damage by starting in the first place or is he out of favour ?[

3. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Taylor can make a lot of difference but you'd like to see him have a couple of games in the various reserve sides before he's thrown into League 1. He leads the line and brings others into play. Jervis can revert to a wide attacking role. Carey could (?)/should (?) revert to a quarter back position in midfield.

Threlkeld - don't know, one thing's for sure, he doesn't shirk a bit of bodily contact on the field so I can't believe he's the sick-note type off it.

Don't get me started on full backs.

4. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I'm not sure how much value there is in a thread like this to be honest Plym. No disrespect intended.

Answer to question is win games. Sorted.

5. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

But that means scoring goals sensible.....and more than one a match might be required....and we don't do that....:emoticon-0138-think...:emoticon-0101-sadsm.

6. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

It's still the answer to your question though.

7. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Not really sensible....easy to say we need more goals....but how do we achieve it....I know sensible........ if you could only find your tin of dubbin you'd be out there like a shot....but would your braces look very fetching over your Argyle shirt.......I think at our age it's best to solve these types of problems over a pint in the pub.

8. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

You asked what do we do not how do we do it so the answer remains score more goals/win matches. You can reflect on the problem and discuss the ins and outs of the cat's rear end all you want. The answer to what do we do is simple.

9. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Told you so...........................

10. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

Play the full 90 mins as well!

11. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I've been reading around various sources this evening and came across one funnyish one which sort of follows on from this thread. It has to be said that a little while ago there was much gnashing of teeth about when Argyle might be relegated rather than if. Not a lot of people could see past that and to be fair the position we were in and results we were getting didn't exactly point to much else.

Roll story on some weeks and here we are with one of our players talking about the playoffs being a distinct possibility. Not only the player but I have read posts from others who have been touting that as a possible outcome to the season. Personally, although I would concede it isn't an impossible dream, I don't think we are playoff material but what other proof do you need that this is indeed a funny ole game. I wonder if in another month or two we will be back with squeaky bottom looking for a result or two again.

12. notDistantGreen

I'll settle for 12th now!

13. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

To be fair notdistant so would I. A mate of mine was giving me a very tongue in cheek run down on what points we would have over the Christmas period and where we would be at the end of it. He was pretty good as it turned out because he was predicting 31 points by Jan 1st match. We were talking about his uncanny prediction at the last game watering hole and we all agreed that 5th from bottom was the realistic new target and would do. Not very ambitious I know but given where we were that seemed ok. Stay in league one is rightly the first and only target for Adams this season. Anything else would be over achieving nonsense.

14. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Twelfth at the moment is slightly false....because of the cup last weekend many clubs didn't have a league game....so our 3pts gained zoomed us up the league, so maybe 16th/17th might be more accurate......but you must take what happens on the day....and the feeling of being in the top half of the league cannot be underestimated for a moral boost....players start looking upwards instead of downwards....we just need to get this January window right...lost one good player and lost one none starter at the moment....just hope we still have Sonny Bradley come February.

15. notDistantGreen

Yeah, but remember the 3 points from our extra game are already safely in the bag. Their's are not. So yes, no false optimism but if, as Sensible says, you don't take belief and confidence from this:

upload_2018-1-10_9-28-10.png

then you might as well pack up now.

PGFWhite likes this.