1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

How do some managers have a job

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by jaffaklopp, Jan 22, 2019.

1. jaffaklopp

jaffaklopp Well-Known Member

Always wonder how some managers get jobs or keep getting jobs.

Claude Puel - Did he do anything at Nice, then Southampton signed him and wasn't anything great and now sh!t at Leicester.
    Alan Pardew - One of the managerial merry go round group
    Marco Silva - Similar to Puel. Did crap at Hull, didn't do much at Watford but gets the Everton job and they look as average as ever.
    Mourinho - Chelsea fans dislike him, all my Madrid supporting Spanish friends hate him, everyone in the world knows he is a cancer. Utd fans wanted him for his success though and just refused to acknowledge what he is like. 3 years later and has the utd fan base been as poor and small as it is now?

Those are just a few that spring to mind, but there are more.

2. InBiscanWeTrust

InBiscanWeTrust Rome, London, Paris, Rome, Istanbul, Madrid
    Forum Moderator

There are the group of British coaches that hover around lower prem and upper champ clubs.

Bruce
    pullis
    hughes
    pardew
    alladyce
    Hodgson
    Warnock

prob a few more as well.

They all are experienced so sides sides in trouble turn to them as an experienced head to try get out of danger. The possibly get out of danger but their lack of talent means they always hover around relegation and teams fear they will get relegated sack one and hire another hoping the new manager affect will keep them safe for another year.

3. moreinjuredthanowen

Its an interesting question

Puel is a great example.

His early career was good, winning french league at monaco and he certainly didn't stay long after that, I think he took over at lyon after they had success but were on way down maybe houllier had been there... they were floating along but he prob got some exposure in europe. I really don't know how he made the transition from nice to southampton. Its one where you have to wonder what southampton saw that convinced them to go for him.

After that really... The Leicester job was a surprise. Yes he got southampton to league cup final defending like dogs against us and finished top half but nobody was happy there with him and the wheels came off.

And Leicester have repeated the same experience!

It seems to me he's got some result early but nobody's like his style anywhere and he's never lasted.... but those semi finals and finals seem to count in teams minds...

I think the list IBWT posted could be considered "fixers" The types that are readily available and might keep you up and thats why they get a job. "reliable" "can get things organised" " tough"

My view is that as football moves towards more directors of football here that these types will become less relevant. At one point there was more than half the prem clubs having managers sacked.

So far this season:

David Wagner (ironed on relegated and walked away)
    Jose Mourinho (6th place in top 6)
    Mark Hughes (relegation candidate
    Slavisa Jokanovic (relegation candidate)

No doubt there will be more.

The interesting thing is what clubs did.

fulham got ranieiri (form for saving a club)
    Southampton went for foreign coach with rep, Hasenhüttl the austrian klopp.
    Utd went for a former player coaching in sweden.
    Huddersfield repeat the trick and go to germany to find a coach form dortmunds reserve team. Siewert

This suggests a bit more foresight and preparations have occrued at the board level of 3 of these 4 clubs.

In the rest of the league there have been 24 casualties so far.. a full LEAGUEs worth which suggest that below the prem theres a lot of poorly run clubs.

I have no doubt more clubs will sack managers as league goes on.

Newcastle (would be idiots but why has rafa not walked by now)
    Cardiff
    burnley