1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Houghton Kepier School send kids home as their trousers are the "wrong shade of grey"

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by marcusblackcat, Sep 7, 2017.

1. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

I **** you not!!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-41181269

Anyone's kids go there? I used to play footy there but seriously - I'm all for uniforms being uniforms but this is surely just a school basically being in cahoots with a supplier to make sure that everyone buys from them!!
    -----------------------------------

School sends 'wrong trousers' pupils home
    • please log in to view this image
    Image captionHead teacher of the Wearside school Nicky Cooper says she is "very, very particular" about uniform
    Pupils were lined up at the gates of a secondary school while their trousers were checked to see if they were the right shade of grey - with some failing the inspection and being sent home.

Kepier School in Houghton-le-Spring has defended the move, which it said was because it valued "consistency".

Parents have been told that only clothes of a particular colour and bought from one supplier are allowed.

Several pupils were sent home, with others barred from classes.

please log in to view this image

Image captionParent Kim Lister saw pupils being checked at the school gates
    Parent Kim Lister said she witnessed the checks after being alerted by her son.

She said: "I got a phone call within two minutes saying: 'Mam, they're not letting us through the school gates.'

"When I got down there were a load of children actually lined up having their uniform checked.

"I love the uniform but it would be nice if parents could have a choice where to go for the uniform."

Image copyrightGOOGLE
    Image captionAbout a dozen pupils were sent home from Kepier School
    Head teacher of the Wearside school Nicky Cooper said: "We are very, very particular about the uniform because we need consistency right across the board.

"In doing so some learners were sent home.

"If you have different types of trousers it leads on to different types of shoes, different types of shirts, etc."

Luke Bramhall, from the Children North East charity, said: "Instead of focusing on discipline and punishing students for having the right uniform, what is important is for schools to understand what each individual child and their family is going through and how they can help in difficult circumstances."

The Department of Education said schools had a duty to provide and recommend uniforms that were the best value for money.

2. DAPARKERSAFC

DAPARKERSAFC Well-Known Member

I went there and know loads of people who have kids who go there, none of whom complained and none who had kids who were sent home. They were given more than enough notice.

What I've seen is there is a certain type of "parents" piping up. The ones who are complaining about price but have no bother pissing their benefits up the wall in the Britainia and on fags, takeaways and scratchcards.

It was the pupils who asked for the uniform change after all

3. marcusblackcat

Forum Moderator

I just spent £180 on my son's school uniform! I have the money so it's not a problem - but I know people who don't have the money and not down to pissing it up against the wall. (My son doesn't go there but just as a matter of principle looking at pricing)

We were asked but not forced to buy his stuff from Michael Segal in Newcastle. That's uniform, Shirts, PE kit and PE socks. I know people who couldn't afford it and went to Asda - their kids weren't turned away from the school as they are aware that their parents can't afford it. You stereotype these people Parker - do you actually know them or are you making assumptions? (if you do know them then I apologise) I personally don't think anyone should be forced to spend that sort of money annually on school clothes - christ I probably don't spend that much on my clothes every year!!

It's the "wrong shade of grey" ffs! Not the wrong colour but the wrong shade of a colour!

Billy Death and Deleted like this.
  4. DAPARKERSAFC

DAPARKERSAFC Well-Known Member

I know them. Not stereotyping everyone of course but I've seen some of the complainers who don't work but seem to be sat in the brit all day and are out all the time getting pissed. They've not prioritised their kids they thought they could just get away with it.

They were the same type who flouted the uniform when they at school.

Given its location it's a school that has a divide in social class and ****e breeds ****e unfortunately

marcusblackcat likes this.
  5. cumbrianmackem

cumbrianmackem Well-Known Member

On a similar note yesterday a school in Wales gave detention to 400 pupils who attended with the 'wrong' uniform. Welcome back to school kids!

Billy Death and Deleted like this.
  6. SAFCDRUM

SAFCDRUM Well-Known Member

To be fair, there are 50.

7. marcusblackcat

Forum Moderator

Fair enough fella. I just know that not everyone can afford the cat f the uniforms. Those that claim they can't and sit in the Brit, however, can go and **** themselves!!

8. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

Pupils ‘lined up in the rain’ to colour-match trousers at Sunderland school – with children sent home if clothes were from the wrong shop

DANIEL PRINCE
    Email
    Published: 06:00Wednesday 06 September 2017

Pupils at a Sunderland school were forced to “line up in the rain” while teachers colour-matched their trousers to make sure they had been bought from the right shop.

Children at Kepier School, in Houghton, who failed the match test were then placed into isolation or sent home.

Pupils lined up at Houghton Kepier

The “outrageous” moment was captured on camera as pupils had their clothes checked.
    Parents contacted the Echo in fury after their children were punished for not wearing the exact grey trousers supplied by the school’s sanctioned uniform provider, or for wearing shoes which could not be polished.
    They argued that, although they understood why blazers and ties with the school logo on must be bought from the same supplier, they didn’t see why they were being forced to buy the plain trousers for £15.99 from Sunderland firm Total Sport.
    That is despite the same style of trousers being available for less than half the price in supermarkets.
    They have had the kids taken into school one at a time - it’s like a concentration camp.

Becci Owens
    Principal Nicola Cooper said the school is “very proud” of the new uniform and “almost all of our learners are in full school uniform”.
    But one parent compared the school’s stance to that of a prison.
    Deb Pearson, whose daughter Nikki, 12, attends Kepier, said: “My daughter was turned away at the gates because she was wearing boots rather than shoes.
    “I had difficulty finding a pair which fit her, but it’s not like she was wearing trainers or anything like that.

Kepier School has come under fire from parents.

“When she told them she had nowhere to go, they put her into an isolation room.
    “The whole thing is ridiculous.
    “It’s like the children are in a prison.
    “They were checking their clothes for tags, which is just a disgrace.”

Kepier School principal Nicola Cooper.

Another parent, who did not wish to be named, said: “They had no right to line up the children like that in the rain and inspect them.
    “It’s outrageous, and like something you’d expect in the Army.
    “The headteacher went down the line with a swatch of clothing to check the children were wearing the correct uniform.
    “Many parents are up in arms about this and can’t believe the way the school is going on.”
    Donna Morris’ son Aaron, 14, is about to start Year 10: “I got a text message from him saying ‘They are not letting me in’, so I rang him and he said they would not let him in because his trousers were not from Total Sport,” she said.
    “I spoke to his teacher who said he had to give Aaron a letter to send him home. They said it would not affect his attendance but Aaron would not be allowed back into the school until it was resolved.

A similar pair of trousers is available for �7 at Tesco.

“I went down to the school and spoke to one of the teachers who actually loaned him a pair of trousers from Total Sport so he could go into class.
    “I just think it’s disgraceful.”
    Becci Owens has two children at the school - Ellie, 14, and Spike Gorman, 12.
    “They have had the kids taken into school one at a time,” she said.
    “They said the inspections are going to go on for the next two weeks.”
    She added: “My two have not actually been sent home - I don’t know why because they have got Asda trousers on, so they should have been.
    “I don’t know why they have not.”
    But not all parents were angry. One mum messaged the Echo’s Facebook page to defend the school: “The school gave more than enough warning of the uniform policy before the six weeks holidays,” she said.
    “Grey trousers are grey trousers and you can buy similar ones from the likes of Asda for families who have money issues etc, however, the school do provide low income families with vouchers to be able to purchase these particular ones, and the same for blazer and ties etc.
    “Children who got sent home were the children who did not follow the rules. These children and their parents is what is wrong with this world today. They don’t want to follow rules nor act as they should because they put themselves above the rules.
    “Out of nearly 1,500 pupils in this school over 90% were dressed appropriately yet the other 10% went against a fair school policy. There may be 10% of parents unhappy but there are 90% who agree with the school and have done what it takes to ensure their children respect the school’s rules and wishes for children to be in a particular uniform.
    “I believe the school should reimburse low income families who are on free meals also and provide the vouchers for the uniform as I don’t think anyone was aware of this option from the off.
    “Regards from a parent who had to tighten her belt to pay for the uniform and is still here to tell the tail and who respects school rule.”
    The school’s policy drew heavy criticism in May after it announced it was to introduce a new uniform, with navy blazers and charcoal grey trousers.
    Hundreds of people backed a petition campaigning against the change, which argued that the “colours look ridiculous and will make the children feel self-conscious”.
    Plain grey trousers - very similar to those provided by Total Sport - are available for £7 at supermarket Tesco.
    Kepier Principal Nicola Cooper said: “We are very proud of our new uniform and learners look extremely smart.
    “Almost all of our learners are in full school uniform and we have appreciated the support of their families.”
    No-one was available for comment from Total Sport.

UNIFORM CHAOS
    Hundreds of school pupils put in isolation for wearing short skirts and others are forced to queue in rain for ‘prison-like’ inspections on first day back
    Schools across the UK have started clamping down on wrong uniforms as stricter policies are introduced
    By Ellie Cambridge and Holly Christodoulou
    6th September 2017, 11:32 am
    Updated: 7th September 2017, 8:56 am

COMMENTS

PUPILS have been forced to queue in the rain for "prison-like" inspections and around 100 others were placed in isolation as uniform chaos hit schools across the UK today.
    At George Stephenson High in Newcastle, students were put in "timeout" for having "inappropriate uniform" - including wrong shoes and skirts that are too short.

NCJMEDIA
    Elizabeth Jenkins was put in timeout at George Stephenson High as her skirt was too short

SWNS:SOUTH WEST NEWS SERVICE
    And at Kepier School in Houghton, Tyne, kids had to line up in the rain for uniform checks

While at a school in Houghton, Tyne, pupils were treated like they were in "prison" when teachers made them line up in the rain to check they had the right £15.99 trousers.
    Fuming parents have now slammed George Stephenson High for wasting the day as the new term gets underway.

But the school responded by saying parents had been warned uniform rules were more strict for the new term.
    Julie Haley told the Mail Online her 14-year-old daughter was given a timeout because her skirt was too short.
    The 42-year-old carer said: "Elizabeth was wearing a plain black pencil skirt, just above the knee.
    "Apparently it was 'inappropriate' but I don't understand why. It's a plain black skirt and meets their requirements.

NCJMEDIA
    Her mum, Julie Haley, hit out at the waste of a day of education after her 14-year-old daughter was removed from class

"Elizabeth was at school for around 10 minutes before she was put in timeout. She was really upset. However, her friend who was wearing a similar skirt was not sent to timeout."
    Another mum whose sons were not allowed in class due to their incorrect shoes and trousers slammed it as "ridiculous".
    While one dad said: "My daughter was one of the student's placed in isolation yesterday. She tells me there was more like 200 children not 100.
    "She was placed in there for having the incorrect footwear. I'd bought her plain black plimsolls from New Look which were described as for school. They told my daughter they were trainers."
    Ian Wilkinson, headteacher of George Stephenson High, said their uniform policy had not changed.

NCJMEDIA
    The school's headteacher said parents had been warned for months of the new stricter policy

NCJMEDIA
    The youngster said she was really upset at being removed from the classroom on the first day back

He said the uniform was an essential part of the school's identity and the policy is set with the intention of giving the school a good image and encouraging good behaviour.
    He added the policy was agreed with the governors and was decided that anyone turning up in non-uniform items of clothing would be taken out of lessons temporarily.
    Mr Wilsonson said parents had been told of the stricter approach since last May and he was disappointed that some students had come back to school with incorrect uniform.
    Meanwhile, at Kepier School in Houghton, Tyne, pupils were forced to line up outside in the rain while teachers checked they were wearing the right £15.99 trousers.
    The group of students were pictured queuing at the gates with some turned away for having the wrong uniform.
    Angry parents have now blasted the school and said the harsh new rule was like being in "prison".
    Pupils, both boys and girls, were each checked for matching navy blazers and charcoal grey trousers - which both had to be bought from Total Sport.
    But those who failed because they were wearing trousers bought for half the price were either turned away or placed in isolation.
    Parents, who were warned of the changes, say children were punished for not wearing the exact grey trousers supplied by the school's sanctioned uniform provider.
    And many asked why they should fork out for the £15.99 plain trousers from Sunderland firm Total Sport when they could be bought for £7 at supermarket Tesco.
    Fuming Deb Pearson blasted: "My daughter was turned away at the gates because she was wearing boots rather than shoes.
    "I had difficulty finding a pair which fit her, but it's not like she was wearing trainers or anything like that.
    "When she told them she had nowhere to go, they put her into an isolation room.
    "The whole thing is ridiculous - it's like the children are in a prison.
    "They were checking their clothes for tags, which is just a disgrace."
    Donna Morris said she received a text saying son Aaron, 14, was not allowed through the school gates because his trousers were bought at a different shop.

She said: "I spoke to his teacher who said he had to give Aaron a letter to send him home.
    "They said it would not affect his attendance but Aaron would not be allowed back into the school until it was resolved.
    "I went down to the school and spoke to one of the teachers who actually loaned him a pair of trousers from Total Sport so he could go into class.
    "I just think it's disgraceful."
    The school's policy drew heavy criticism in May after it announced it was to introduce a new uniform.
    Hundreds of people backed a petition campaigning against the change, which argued that the "colours look ridiculous and will make the children feel self-conscious".

SWNS:SOUTH WEST NEWS SERVICE
    The school has backed their uniform policy

But the school's principal Nicola Cooper said: "We are very proud of our new uniform and learners look extremely smart.
    "Almost all of our learners are in full school uniform and we have appreciated the support of their families."
    And in Treviglas College in Newquay, Cornwall, fuming mum Jemma Meyrick said her 13-year-old son was punished for wearing the wrong sort of black shoes on his first day back.
    F

Listen to Julia Hartley-Brewer from 10am
    Call on 0344 499 1000
    Listen on DAB, via the talkRADIO app or online at talkradio.co.uk

She wrote online: "I've sent my son off in full school uniform, all nice and new, perfectly ironed and looking smart.
    "Only to be told that he's being put in to detention - his plain black leather shoes are the wrong brand! Apparently all school uniform now has to be unbranded!
    "Not only that, but when I said I didn't have the cash to replace them right now they've offered me the money to buy some!!

APEX NEWS
    Jemma Meyrick said her son was punished for wearing the wrong sort of black shoes

"So a school strapped for cash because of government cuts has got money to replace a pair of plain black leather shoes with another identical pair of plain black leather shoes..... where's the sense?!"
    A handful of pupils were given detention on Tuesday for wearing shoes that didn't comply with the uniform policy, head teacher Michelle Dunleavy confirmed.
    The first day of term at Ysgol Mair primary school in Rhyl, North Wales, erupted in violence yesterday as two mums started brawling at the gates.
    Young children were left crying when the mums sparked the massive argument in the grounds of the school.
    A spokesman for North Wales Police said: "The incident was reported to us. The report involved an assault that had taken place outside Ysgol Mair."
    No arrests have been made.

****ing shocking all this, What happened to education being the priority? I don't have kids but if I did I'd be fiercely opposing this. No way to treat people. Disgusting.

9. Billy Death

Billy Death Well-Known Member

I hope Nicky Cooper gets pox up her snatch.
    Slag pc bitch.
    ****ing arseholes, they there to teach the kids ffs, they not in the army.
    They allow clothes from one main supplier - oh what a ****ing surprise!
    Wonder if Nicky is getting wedge off them, slag tart.

10. Home_and_Away

Home_and_Away Well-Known Member

The country has gone mental....

Shops not allowed to specify boys / girls clothes ?
    L ****in GBT or whatever it is ?
    Military style uniform checks at schools ?

When I was a bairn...
    if you had a dick you were a lad, a fanny you were a lass!
    Didn't matter what you wore, the teachers were happy that you had turned up!

Where will it end ???

gelders pie and Billy Death like this.

11. Jack TheLad

Jack TheLad Well-Known Member

Utter madness.

What they wear has no impact on their capability for learning.

Not to mention some families are not in a privileged position to be able to afford the more expensive stuff so have to find alternatives.

blackcatforever and Billy Death like this.
  12. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

could somebody merge mine into this thread please

13. Billy Death

What did arsehole Nicky Cooper do?
    Come out with a Dulux colour chart to check the bairns trousers?
    "Oh, yours are too dark. Oh yours are too light, Yours are ok, you can come to lessons."
    WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Teachers should be subject to uniform rules as well imo.
    If they want to run it like the military then let them wear it also.
    Wonder if her thong was the right shade of black?
    Slag

blackcatforever likes this.
  14. Billy Death

15. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

It all went downhill when they closed Houghton Grammar :emoticon-0103-cool:

Billy Death likes this.
  16. polyphemus

polyphemus Well-Known Member

It's worth reminding those who may have forgotten that 'Uniforms' were initially worn to identify people.
    Police, military, nurses etc. It is a long list with one important thing in common.
    They were all provided free to the wearer's.

In my experience the first thing many did was try to personalise their 'uniform' as soon as they were able to.

Today, I understand that The Police need to be told if a school plans to change their uniform because this is an easy first step in identification.
    However the important part of this is the jacket. I don't believe any stress is placed on the shade of the trousers.

Some in charge of Schools seem compelled to go OTT on this issue.
    It does neither the School or the Teaching profession any credit.

17. monty987

monty987 Well-Known Member

it has been like that for 40 odd years Redhouse comp was strict, black trousers, black shoes, black blazer white or blue shirt, blue/black/white diagonal stripe tie, carr, north, dent and I forgot what the other one was but dark blue, light blue yellow and red, what that was about I don't know. Mr lee the carr head would cane you if you disobeyed mind, nice man though a joker, Miss lofthouse (who I fancied !) went on to t v fame anyone else go to the comp ?, Mr Shipley metal work, another good teacher, mr Howe, woodwork I went on to excell in carpentry and joinery through his teaching, mr Dyos headmaster. Sorry for reminiscing lads but lots of memories.

18. Fentonpell

Fentonpell Well-Known Member

My brother went to Redhouse Comp and a lot of the named teachers ring a bell. I don't think they were as strict about what shade of black the trousers should be though as what they seem to be now. He is nearly 65 though and my memory is not all that good.

Billy Death likes this.
  19. Billy Death

Today, my son & his half sister were put in inclusion.
    Him for not having his shirt tucked into his trousers.
    Her for having a figure hugging skirt on ffs!!!!!!
    This is Tanfield school, do not send your kids there as it is ran by ****ers.

20. polyphemus

polyphemus Well-Known Member

It's obviously the season for some Teachers to go nuts.

In addition to the stories on here I've read in the past week about a school that has made all of it's girls wear trousers so that any 'trans gender' pupils feel more comfortable.

Another, newly appointed, head has sent home a ten year old because she doesn't think his 'short back and sides' haircut is appropriate. He has had the same style at the same school for six years. It seems that she has a 'thing' about hair!

I'm told that schools require pupils for financial reasons. They get paid on a per pupil basis. Bums on seats principle.

I imagine that if too many pupils get driven away a school will have it's own problems.

Personally I'd like to see an 'Ombudsman' in place for schools, with the authority to overrule the more unreasonable and unjustifiable of these rules eccentricities.

Billy Death likes this.