1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

History made at Stevenage

Discussion in 'Charlton' started by Ken Shabby, Oct 10, 2018.

1. Ken Shabby

Ken Shabby Well-Known Member

I know it's not a major competition, but I figured as a mark of respect to the players involved it at least deserved a thread on here, with a few of our more knowlegable posters comparing it to matches like the 6-0 win at Barnsley or the 4-3 comeback up at St James Park against Newcastle.
    People who went have got a real limited edition item to covet there - anyone seen the away attendance?

2. User deleted as requested

User deleted as requested Well-Known Member

Funny you should mention those two games Ken...I was at both of them.

The Barnsley 6-0 away win with my son, the 4-3 win away at Newcastle which saw our one coach load of fans pull up back outside the Valley at 4am...where I had nervously left my car. Both memorable occasions.

Sadly last night was not quite in the same bracket for obvious reasons, but well done to the young lad who scored the hat trick in particular <applause>

3. Ken Shabby

I was at the 4-3 win (we were discussing going back to the pub at half time) but was in Spain for the Barnsley win. And I barely even checked the updates for Stevenage last night. Still, happy for the players and the few fans who made the trek.

4. ForestHillBilly

ForestHillBilly Well-Known Member

A good opportunity for the fringe players to make a statement, with the exception of Phillips, who had nothing to do.

5. Ken Shabby

That's why is doesn't get in the team. If he was bored, he should push forward and help the strikers.

6. User deleted as requested

Duchatelet must be licking his lips about the lad who scored the hat trick last night.

7. Clb74

Clb74 Well-Known Member

I'm sure there was 2 coaches and the coach I was in stopped at Lincoln on the way back for a couple of hours.
    Was there damage to one of the coaches aswell.

8. User deleted as requested

All I remember is that Jim Smith was their manager, because they were giving it the "Smith Out", and that Steve MacKenzie scored for us?
    But the memory plays tricks...

That coach journey was living hell.

9. lardiman

lardiman Keep smiling through
    Forum Moderator

I'm glad the kids had a nice evening out, and if nobody got injured all the better.

Beyond that it means nothing at all.
    The Checkatrade Trophy isn't even proper football;
    • The EFL picks half your team unless you want a fine.
    • The game cannot be drawn. You get a 'bonus point' for winning a penalty shoot-out.
    • Academy (reserve) teams are playing first teams.
    All of these factors - added to crowds of a few hundred at most games - mean the competition is an absolute joke.
    If we weren't mired in League One we wouldn't have to play in joke competitions.
    Ironic that Charlton have to sink to a 90 year low in order to achieve a record win - over the second string XI of a fourth tier team.

Whats up Doc likes this.