1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Hillsborough; 35yrs on...

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by luvgonzo, Apr 25, 2016.

1. Solid_Air 2

Solid_Air 2 Well-Known Member

seconded .

saintKlopp likes this.
  2. Prince Knut

Prince Knut GC Thread Terminator

3. johnsonsbaby

johnsonsbaby Well-Known Member

Thread title update required.

34 years ago today. RIP 97. Never forgotten. <rose>

4. Prince Knut

5. Prince Knut

Really worth a read - the theft of the CCTV tapes, when SYP was still trying to peddle the line that the fans broke down the gates, and were unaware that the BBC had also filmed officers opening the gates, has been criminally understated by the authorities. There is still no official answer as to what investigations occurred into finding out what happened to them (a clear indicator that SYP has always known).

As said, people and inquiries have touched on the theft but dismissed it by saying that the tapes would not have shown anything not already on the BBC tapes, but that isn't the point - they didn't know the BBC had filmed the gates being opened, and they were still trying to push the narrative of Liverpool fans breaking them down. Don't ask Duckenfield though, he was in the Police Club getting pissed at the time. :emoticon-0112-wonde

6. Solid_Air 2

Solid_Air 2 Well-Known Member

7. johnsonsbaby

8. Prince Knut

9. Mark Blow

Mark Blow Well-Known Member

My son has just started university down south doing Law with Criminology. He is studying what happened at Hillsborough under the subject of Psychiatric Injury and how it is defined in a civil court.

Nozzer and Zanjinho like this.
  10. moreinjuredthanowen

tory scum.

that is all.

Prince Knut, Zanjinho, Nozzer and 3 others like this.

11. saintKlopp

Government will never endorse a law that requires public figures to show honesty and openness when mendacity and deceit are major weapons in the politician's arsenal.

organic red, Prince Knut and luvgonzo like this.
  12. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

Good piece on BBC website about the forest fans who witnessed things. Didn't post a link in case it upset some :emoticon-0148-yes:

saintKlopp, Solid_Air 2 and luvgonzo like this.
  13. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

Share away mate, up to individuals whether they click on it, it's in the public domain anyway...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68663955

luvgonzo and remembercolinlee like this.
  14. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

Read it earlier but knew a bit about it through going to the City ground a lot to watch Forest in the 90's.

remembercolinlee likes this.
  15. johnsonsbaby

Obviously the worst affected were the Liverpool fans. There has always been a huge sympathy for the Forest fans too, who had to witness what was happening from across the pitch while even the Liverpool fans on either side of the grossly overcrowded section had no idea it was happening. Watching it unfold and being completely helpless in being able to draw attention to it from the Forest fans point of view, it's not surprising that a lot of them were traumatised too and remain deeply affected. I hope they sought out the counselling they needed because like our fans, none was offered. I think the wider football community maybe forget the Forest fans when Hillsborough is remembered.

remembercolinlee likes this.
  16. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

Personally speaking I never understand that **** attitude to the Liverpool fans for Hillsborough.

Football fans were treated like scum by those who ran football, the government and the old Bill.

They over filled terraces and caged us in the ground, and the old bill battered any football fan they could get near.

They used hooligans as an excuse to treat is like filth.

Hillsborough could so nearly have been about spurs fans cos the exact same thing happened in 81 but fortunately the gate were open so fans got onto the pitch.

IMHO I'd rate the Hillsborough abuse as seriously as racist abuse and ban ****ers for life.

17. johnsonsbaby

You're right about, well everything you've said here. (I was going to say about the fact it could have happened to Spurs fans. Thank God it didn't).

It's incomprehensible to me that some people who, let's face it, deliberately remain uninformed, still bring out the rushing the gates myth etc. etc. but just as bad, if not worse imo, is the continuing use of - always the victims - which is specifically related to Hillsborough because it was first sung shortly afterwards. Again, the deliberately uninformed try and twist it into meaning whatever they choose. You then have to ask, when it was first sung, what were Liverpool fans victims of that wasn't their fault? These days, those using it will likely leave out the - it's never your fault - bit so as to make the 'victims' but all encompassing and so they can try and hide from the real meaning of what they are saying. It needs to stop.

Thanks for your original post today. There are some things that all football fans should be in solidarity over. Mishandling fan situations and abuse of fans by various authorities being one. The colour of your scarf shouldn't matter in these cases. There is enough material for banter between us without stooping to tragedy point scoring.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2024
    Zanjinho, Nozzer, saintKlopp and 2 others like this.
  18. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

19. johnsonsbaby

Remembering the 97. <rose>

20. One of yer Norvern Saints

One of yer Norvern Saints Well-Known Member

I'm ashamed to say I didn't pick up on the significance of the date yesterday. I've lived in the North West for nearly 50 years and Liverpool is my adopted City. I love the place, and am always proud to show it off to visitors. But my proudest boast about the place is that I can't think of any City in the world that would have dealt with the awful events of 1989 better than Liverpool. The dignity shown in the face of years of lies and injustice is quite literally awesome. And to have battled so hard to see justice at least partly done is a credit not just to the amazing families but the solidarity shown by the whole City.

Nuff said. You're in my thoughts today belatedly.