1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Hendon Justifies Friendlies

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by HOADIE_BOI, Jun 27, 2011.

1. HOADIE_BOI

HOADIE_BOI Well-Known Member

I have to say we do have too many, But Hendon thinks it is ok.

Ian Hendon
    Hendon was Barnet manager between 2008 and 2010

Gillingham assistant manager Ian Hendon says last season's slow start is the reason behind his side's busy pre-season schedule.

The first of 14 pre-season friendlies in a four week period is against Ashford Utd on 6 July.

Hendon told BBC Radio Kent: "We didn't have a good start last season, and that (match fitness) could have been a part of it.

"We're believers you get fitness in matches so we've put lots of games in."

He added: "We've changed things round a bit, plenty of games, but not all the players will play in every game."

"Not only that, a lot of the clubs we are playing games against are local clubs, they all want friendlies and it is a bit of revenue for them as well, so we're putting a bit back in as well."

The League Two club have three friendlies at home. Millwall come to Priestfield on 23 July, Leyton Orient are the opponents three days later and Championship new boys Peterborough face the Gills on 30 July.

The club will also send the first team squad to Bromley, Dartford, Weymouth, Welling United , Braintree Town, Faversham Town and Ebbsfleet United.

They will also field a side in friendlies at Erith & Belvedere, Ramsgate and Tonbridge Angels.

Their first game of the league two season is at home to Cheltenham on Saturday 6 August.

Hendon added talk of AFC Wimbledon captain Danny Kedwell joining Gillingham is premature, although the club would be interested in signing the striker.

Hendon added: "Personally I've watched the lad a few times as part of my job, I watch a lot of games, he's a good hard-working centre forward and can score goals.

"If they've accepted his request and he is available I am sure he could be of interest to us."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/g/gillingham/9523426.stm

2. baldeagle

baldeagle Member

My only comment would be that it is no good having all these friendlies if the team at the start of the season does not resemble the sides that are put out for the friendlies because we have been a tad slow in signing new players. New players need time to settle in with the rest of the squad if and they are given insufficient time to do so, then we could have another slow start to the season which would be fatal if we are to secure an automatic promotion place.

3. HOADIE_BOI

HOADIE_BOI Well-Known Member

No it is mad, 14 games in that small space of time, what a joke, tire the lot out and we will end up with injuries we know.

4. baldeagle

baldeagle Member

With 11 missing players it's not as if he has a huge squad to play with. As you say, it is mad. The first friendly is this weekend and in this heat it is asking for trouble.