1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Head Coach Performance

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Downeys Loup, Jan 20, 2024.

1. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

One of my comments was how posters, like yourself, drip feed insults towards people who disagree with you. As I've said these comments about people blindly toeing the club line, being 'rose tinted' and clueless, knowing less, etc, are insinuating that people are stupid.

I've posted just one of your examples in a reply to The Norton Cat. What is it that makes you, or anyone else, better informed than him?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2024
  2. Quayside Mackem

Quayside Mackem Active Member

It's 100% this, and also kind of sad that so many people can't just swallow their pride and admit they were wrong. (Oh, but they're only wrong now, but in the future they'll be right. Imagine that as your life creed ‍)

3. vic9

vic9 Well-Known Member

Don’t know which thread it was marra, but there WAS some personal attacks on Beale which were brainless and pathetic

Saf, Dorset, Chunksafc and 1 other person like this.
  4. Smug in Boots

Apparently, according to some, it's wrong to remind anyone of what they've posted ...

... unless, as you say, people have been incorrectly optimistic.

When we win we all have to forget last week and remember we're all Sunderland supporters who have to play nice ...

,,, because we have to enjoy the day and celebrate the result together, yay!

Strangely those people are straight on, after a loss, reminding everyone about what they said ... for hours.

5. The Exile II

The Exile II Well-Known Member

I agree. The vast majority, however, was legitimate criticism of his tactics and demeanour.

But all we hear is sniping like everyone to a man was calling him a ****e moley cockney bastard and demanding he be whipped naked through the streets of Pallion.

Oldsandy likes this.
  6. Smug in Boots

No one is saying that, you're just smokescreening and exaggerating as usual.

So, why are you better informed than, The Norton Cat, and other people on here.

"Actually it turns out the fans reacting 'ridiculously' were, in fact, better informed, because it's played out exactly like they said it would. It's absolutely clear that this isn't working."

7. The Norton Cat

The Norton Cat Well-Known Member

At some point, we will lose another game under Michael Beale. Maybe some people will take that as an opportunity to start the criticism up again. And to a certain extent, its part and parcel of being a football manager- people are always going to think they can do better and people are always going to critique your tactics. We all do it

There were some people who weren't prepared to give him a chance at all and I find that a bit strange. He'd just been appointed manager of our football club. Even if he wasn't most people's first choice, surely the default position is neutrality for the first couple of months?

Pickled, Saf, Iain and 9 others like this.
  8. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

I still don't understand what happened to cause such an almighty stink. Every club has its share of fans who act like clips but this was something else.

Seemed to be that people wanted Will Still or the Swedish guy because they thought they'd give us some kind of elevated status, and threw the toys out of the pram when it was denied them. I don't how else to explain it because nobody knew bugger all about any of the candidates mentioned.

Ironically Beale was the only one with any kind of record that suggested he'd be a good fit.

Saf, Dorset, rooch 3 and 9 others like this.
  9. vic9

vic9 Well-Known Member

Criticism of his tactics were flawed though weren’t they after just a few games let’s be rational and sensible about this

Saf, Dorset, Smug in Boots and 2 others like this.
  10. The Exile II

Because what they said would happen did in fact happen. I said several times that he was speedrunning to a sacking. I think that if the exact same events had happened at the beginning of the season he'd have gone.

He's turned it round, as the vast majority wanted him to even if they thought he couldn't, but he's been fortunate to be given the time and his tone now seems to indicate that.

All the constant goading does is guarantee it'll be coming back the other way when we go on a bad run.

And as for drip feeding insults, you're one to talk.

smithy in nl likes this.

11. The Exile II

It was the combination of the oddness of Mowbray's sacking, the perception of his time at Rangers, and an absolutely diabolical start on the pitch where we went backwards and off it where he just couldn't say the right thing.

12. Snaggey

Snaggey Well-Known Member

So it didn't, in fact, happen.

Nordic, Comfy, Saf and 5 others like this.
  13. The Norton Cat

The Norton Cat Well-Known Member

No, I don't really understand it either. I can see why the club would be interested in Will Still from a profile or PR point of view because there has been a lot of hype about him. But there were fans saying they didn't want Beale because his CV wasn't good enough- yet, it beats Still's hands down. On balance, of all the people that were serious candidates, Beale was definitely the most realistic and the most experienced.

Dorset, cumbrianmackem, Nacho and 2 others like this.
  14. The Exile II

It did, just in four weeks instead of six months.

They said we'd look like there was no game plan. There wasn't.

They said he'd throw players under the bus.
    He did.

They said he'd antagonise supporters with his interviews.
    He did.

I'm pleased he's turned it round, and you could argue he wasn't dealt the best hand by the club, but he didn't help himself for a while.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2024
  15. Smug in Boots

How to claim you were right when you were clearly wrong <doh>

So, what makes you better informed than The Norton Cat?

You don't go to Sunderland games, don't buy the streams and don't ever have much to say about the matches.

You get your information off here and just regurgitate it.

Comfy likes this.
  16. Sour Patch

Sour Patch Guest

How was the Mowbray sacking odd? His last 10 games were relegation form?
    The constant goading WAS STARTED BY YOU WHEN WE WERE ON A BAD RUN. People are simply giving it back and you can't deal with it.

Nordic, Saf, Scout73 and 2 others like this.
  17. Yorkie

Yorkie Well-Known Member

Not sure how he’s been fortunate to be given the time he has. Is that the expectation now - instant turnaround? If that was the case for Allardyce he’d have been sacked early on.

Nordic and Scout73 like this.
  18. Smug in Boots

It's what's known as a contract and we don't want a reputation as 'sack happy' like Stoke and Birmingham ...

... it's no way to attract players with ambition.

19. The Exile II

Looks like the pile on was encouraged while I was editing, so here's the edit in its own post -

They said we'd look like there was no game plan. There wasn't.

They said he'd throw players under the bus.
    He did.

They said the game management would be awful.
    It was.

They said he'd antagonise supporters with his interviews.
    He did.

I'm pleased he's turned it round, and you could argue he wasn't dealt the best hand by the club, but he didn't help himself for a while.

That's why he was fortunate.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2024
  20. Yorkie

Yorkie Well-Known Member

Yes. To clarify, it’s not “fortunate”, it’s common sense to give someone more than a few weeks. Unfortunately some fans thought otherwise.

Saf, Dorset, Scout73 and 3 others like this.