1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Harry Ridicules Luka Modric £22m Bid

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by SolidSpur, Jun 16, 2011.

1. SolidSpur

SolidSpur Member

Just found quite a decent read on the BBC website:

Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp says Chelsea's reported £22m bid for midfielder Luka Modric is "ridiculous".

Redknapp told BBC Sport that he was not aware of an official approach for the 25-year-old Croatia international.

"Luka is not for sale," said Redknapp, who remains determined to hold on to his best players this summer.

"But if there has been a bid of £22m that is ridiculous. There are people being sold for £20m who are not fit to lace Luka's boots."

Earlier on Thursday, Modric's representative told BBC Sport that the player would command a transfer fee in excess of the figure being quoted in reports.

"Luka is happy at Spurs but if an offer came in that was acceptable to the club and player, we would be willing to discuss it," said agent Nikky Vuksan.

"In my opinion, £22m is a valuation that is too low for the player."

Modric arrived at Spurs from Dinamo Zagreb in 2008, costing £16.6m. He quickly established himself as one of the first names on the teamsheet, and in his second season he helped the White Hart Lane club to qualify for Champions League for the first time.

In his 120 games for the north Londoners he has scored 12 goals and his impressive displays as the creative force in the side has reportedly attracted attention from Chelsea, Manchester United, Manchester City and Barcelona.

Modric signed a new six-year deal at the club only last year and Redknapp recently insisted the player is not for sale, describing him as "irreplaceable".

But last month Modric told he Croatian newspaper Jutarnji List: "If an offer comes which is good for Tottenham and for me also, then a transfer is possible."

Meanwhile, Redknapp has failed to agree a pay-as-you-play contract with defender Jonathan Woodgate and the injury-plagued 31-year-old has been released by the club.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/13789159.stm

The part I like is the bit where Modric was quoted to say: "If an offer comes which is good for Tottenham and for me also, then a transfer is possible."

I read that to say that he could leave if both he and spurs are happy with it. It seems like he's looking out for our best interests too.

2. ebar

ebar Member

difficult for harry. he has to be seen and heard talking of cementing the side and building on it, but in his heart he is probably well aware that anybody is sellable for the right price. he loves the boy, but there are folk who love money more. also, if we did get 30 mill for him, that might finance some decent additions, but we would sorely miss him.

3. SolidSpur

SolidSpur Member

Thats what I was trying to say at the end of the original post.

Your way is worded better though. <ok>

4. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

Hopefully when they made the piddling offer, they met with this response: "Remind me, how much did you pay for Torres?"

5. NSIS

NSIS Well-Known Member

"Hello. Look, I'll have to call you back, this is a terrible line. For a minute there, I could have sworn that you said £22mm!!!"

6. notsosmartspur

notsosmartspur Well-Known Member

There's some very carefully chosen words here from Luka...

" IF an offer that is good for Tottenham"...followed by "and me also"

so firstly, Luka says the criteria for sale must suit Tottenham...well, any offer to Tottenham is not good because he's not for sale...Tottenham have said this, repeatedly, so what are you all worried about?

7. No Kane No Gain

No Kane No Gain Well-Known Member

To be honest, his words are carefully chosen. Similar to Fabregas at Arsenal.

I fully expect Modric to be a Spurs player next season but should we fail to improve next season he might become a bit more direct in trying to create a move.

8. Darren

Darren Member

Spot on with this <ok>

I just hope we do enough to convince him we can go places.

9. totsfan

totsfan Well-Known Member

there coming back with another insulting offer of 28 million,according to bbc website

10. ShelfSideSpur

ShelfSideSpur Active Member

<ok>

11. No Kane No Gain

No Kane No Gain Well-Known Member

I'm strangely coherent for a drunk posting at 2 in the morning, eh? <laugh>

Not feeling so smart this morning :(

12. isle_of_lilly_white

isle_of_lilly_white New Member

As long as this doesn't become another Berbatov situation I really don't think he'll go anywhere. In Levy's and of season statement he said none of our top player are for sale - he CAN'T go back on his word.

Modric want's to stay - if we fail to get top 4 next season then I understand if we wants to leave