1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Harrison Reed has Joined

Discussion in 'Fulham' started by 2whitestripes, Aug 8, 2019.

1. 2whitestripes

2whitestripes Well-Known Member

And the club says; ( I'm feeling a bit lonely here guys!)

The Club is delighted to announce the signing of midfielder Harrison Reed from Southampton, subject to clearance.

Reed joins Fulham on a season-long loan deal, which could be made permanent at a later date.

please log in to view this image

“It’s great to get it done,” he told fulhamfc.com. “I heard about the interest and, from my side, I was desperate to get here and get it signed, and thankfully it’s happened. The Club belongs in the Premier League, and hopefully I can help them get there this season.”

The 24-year-old is a product of the Southampton Academy and has represented England at Under-19 and Under-20 level.

Reed made his professional debut for the Saints in 2013 against Barnsley, coming off the bench in a 5-1 win in the League Cup. In the same season he made his Premier League bow against Manchester City, and his first start came a year later in a 3-0 win over Everton.

The central midfielder is coming to a division he knows well, having spent the last two seasons out on loan in the Championship. He made 39 appearances in 2017/18 for Norwich City, with his debut coming in the 1-1 draw against Fulham at Craven Cottage.

Last season saw a move to Ewood Park, where he made 33 appearances for Blackburn Rovers, scoring three times.

2. Surlyc

Surlyc Well-Known Member

This one feels a bit left field for me. We now have Cairney, StefJo, KMac, Reed, Onomah & Arter competing for the three middle roles. Competition is good, but in that scenario I'm unsure where this loan signing fits in.

And still no defenders...

3. 2whitestripes

2whitestripes Well-Known Member

I think the intention would be that the midfield start helping the defence, we do have quality there but they haven't had much protection, especially last season.

4. Cookie-6262

Cookie-6262 Well-Known Member

With 30 starts for Southampton plus the last two seasons on loan in the championship where he has reportedly done well Inthink he could win the starting job of McDonald! At the very least I think it will make Mcdonald realise he has to be at the top of his game!

5. Super Brian McBride

Super Brian McBride Well-Known Member

I suspect we might be loaning a few players out as they don't seem to fit in the squad. Djalo, Cisse Fonte Fabri Not looking good for useful PL2 midfield players like Edun O'Riley De la Torre either to get starting places. Even KMcD & Johansen Kebano Kamara might only warm the bench now.

6. Cookie-6262

onamah Was a strange signing you would probably say

K Mac / Reed
    Stef Jo / Arter
    Cairney/ Onamah O’Reily De La Torre

Did we really need Onamah??

7. Cookie-6262

Was anyone at the game? How did Reed look? The more I read about him the more I like... Southampton fans sorry to see him go believing he should have given a chance, 30 appearances for Southampton two loan seasons in the championship where both Norwich and Blackburn fans were more than happy with him!

8. Super Brian McBride

Super Brian McBride Well-Known Member

When Reed came on he slotted nicely into the Defensive Midfield role that Arter had been playing, as Arter was moved forward up the pitch to defend further up and go box-to-box. The time he was on the pitch Reed impressed with his tackling and passing.
    He'll become a favourite just because the song he has been given is the old 'Ginger Iniesta' song, the Steve Sidwell song :biggrin: