1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Happy with Sam

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by concrete tony, Feb 15, 2016.

1. concrete tony

concrete tony Well-Known Member

I have to declare I am. I think after years of a failed director of football system I like that we have gone back to a manager.

I am delighted that'll it's allardyce. I'm not saying he's perfect and yes there have been strange team selections and substitutions but for me he's been trying incredibly hard to get results from a poor bunch of players.

After seeing what he can do in January (again it's early days) but those four buys at least allow us to compete and go into games thinking we could win rather than a draw would be nice.

Even if relegated it's time Eliis stuck with a manager and allowed him to build. For me Allardyce is that man.

2. red&white wanderer

red&white wanderer Well-Known Member

Got to wholeheartedly agree football teams need team managers not a DOF system
    BSA knows football and his recent signings are by and large immense - esp Khazri and Kone who have hit ground running making a massive impact
    Just read David Moyes reckons Khazri is a very good BSA signing - we all need to focus on the positives - Perhaps team selection etc seem odd to us supporters but all managers do this and they take the responsibility if success or it sucks - all opinions and views but most importantly successful & winning football in the end :emoticon-0148-yes:

concrete tony and The Relic like this.
  3. monty987

monty987 Well-Known Member

Khazri, Kerchoff and Kone have been brilliant signings, they have adapted to the premier league straight away. I would say this team is the best in 10 seasons, but would like PVA in midfield, and we should get to 38 points although 32 could be enough.

4. Gordon Armstrong

Gordon Armstrong Just another S.A.F.C. fan
    Forum Moderator

Under what circumstances would you say that, Monty . . . . and in which 10 seasons :huh:

5. Jack TheLad

Jack TheLad Well-Known Member

Monty, you started that reply very well, it was coherent, made sense and was actually quite applicable. You then let yourself down again with a ridiculous second sentence.

6. Aussie blackcat85

Aussie blackcat85 Well-Known Member

My peach face love bird was named Monty, he was a chain smoker who constantly rooted the couch :) Big <ok>'s up for Sam!!!

7. Commachio

Commachio Rambo 2021

Jury is still out. Doing much better lately, and good transfer signings.

But im not gonna base my decision on just the last few games. He's make some strange choices earlier.

8. flandersmackem

flandersmackem Well-Known Member

In our predicament, Sam is without doubt the most reliable manager we could have asked for, I would't swap him for any other manager who is down there with us. Just wish the guy was in charge from the start of the season.

Montysoptician likes this.
  9. Gordon Armstrong

Gordon Armstrong Just another S.A.F.C. fan
    Forum Moderator

Not even Wally <whistle>

10. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

I'm happy enough. He's not perfect but a hell of a lot better than the managers of clubs in trouble around us. He'll lay us a good foundation whether we stay up or not.

11. Brian Storm

Absolutely. He will again. It's a trait of his. Playing for a draw at home to Bournemouth has to be one of the strangest decisions I've seen. Thankfully these dizzy choices aren't as common as they are with other boss', Tufty for instance. Looking at the Mag board they seem baffled with him most weeks.

12. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

Just devils advocate (seems to be my role today) - DoF brought us Yann M'Vila and Patrick Van Aanholt amongst others - it has also brought ****e as well but M'Vila is probably the best central midfielder we've had in my lifetime - so it can;t be all bad. It also brought us Jack Rodwell - argue all you want that he's ****e now but almost all of us thought it was a great deal when we bought him.

The Relic likes this.
  13. Brian Storm

I thought Congers did a decent Job given it was impossible.

14. Aussie blackcat85

Aussie blackcat85 Well-Known Member

How many transfer Windows was congers here for?

BSA DOING A STERLING JOB SO FAR...

15. Lostinvegas

Lostinvegas Well-Known Member

Best manager we have had since Reid. He is a Sunderland type manager, we like a tackle and we like tough players and quick wingers. BSA is giving us just that. He knows the league and knows how to get results.

I think if we stay up we will be ok next season, a couple of sensible signings and keep players like Mvilla and we will be mid table.

16. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

Yes, very much so.

17. dansafcman

dansafcman Well-Known Member

have to remember that Congers is still working for us atm. Presume as a head scout kind of role until his notice period is up.

No manager is perfect, so I dont expect to understand SA choices every game but then he is basing his decisions on information we are not privy to as well. Based on what we have seen so far (results, transfers, team cohesion etc) , I am happy with SA and hope he is with us for a few seasons.

18. Nostalgic

Nostalgic Well-Known Member

In the light of the signings we have made and the changes they have brought some of Sam's tactics and selections leading up to the January window could have based on how the players he wanted to keep could handle role changes prior to the new guys coming. He has a reputation for being scientific and analytic about the game so maybe he is operating with a clearer vision than we have given him credit for.

Personally I was puzzled when he used Catts to play a more active attacking midfield role as some of his passing is not the best and Kirch is a reasonably experienced midfielder. But with Larsson due back and Catts carrying a sciatic problem maybe he is just preparing the framework in ready for this last third of the season.

19. Brian Storm

Congers has been on permanent gardening leave since before the window opened. He's turned over all his personal scout data though

Jack TheLad likes this.
  20. Nathan Brazil

Nathan Brazil Well-Known Member

And on his prevous experiences.

I always find it amusing when someone slags off a manager without seeming to take this into account.

(Yes I include me in that)