1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Hampshire police change to electric cars

Discussion in 'Shrewsbury' started by Zenfootball2, May 8, 2018.

1. Zenfootball2

Zenfootball2 Active Member

Hampshire Constabulary has become the first non-metropolitan police force to switch its general fleet of cars from petrol and diesel cars to electric.
    The force claims the switch will save an initial £450,000 over three years, with running costs for the electric cars significantly reduced over a petrol model.
    The cars, which are BMW i3 Range Extender models will not replace emergency response or traffic vehicles, but will be used for general journeys by officers and CID investigators.

Read more at https://www.shropshirestar.com/news...s-fleet-to-electric-cars/#JELG33DtUEfHvJ61.99
    they have a range of 120 miles on electric and a top speed of 94mph
    it has 650cc two cylinder petrol engine with a fuel tank capacity of 1.9
    i know the government are pushing electric cars so tick the box
    so from a green point of view tick the box ,
    saving money tick the box

down side the actual range of electric cars is a lot less than the official figures, especially in the winter .
    i hope the police have a sense of humour as i think someone will come up with a nickname for them.

2. Matster

Matster Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I am looking at getting a hybrid atm and think they will be the car for the near future to purchase. I drive less than twenty miles commute and most hybrids have a range of 30 miles on full electric. The negatives are that the batteries take up boot space, battery life and performance compared to petrol/diesel. Talking to an uncle who work in a dealership down south he said that they had never had to sort out new batteries for the older hybrids such as the Prius so cannot see why newer cars should be a problem. The cars accelerate well on electric mode, however some manufacturers use a different style of engine called an Anderson engine that is more efficient but doesn't give the direct power of some petrol engines.

The Mini Countryman, Golf and the Outlander seem to be the better hybrids but some are still pricey when new.

3. Zenfootball2

Zenfootball2 Active Member

i am lloking to change cars soon but i think i will stick with what i know and then when i look to getting the next one it will probably be a hybrid . i dont know what model you might have in mind but if it was an outlander then i would suggest you google steering column problems

Matster likes this.