1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Gwyn Williams is allowed to veto any transfer any Leeds manager wants to make

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by Jerel Ifil, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Jerel Ifil

Jerel Ifil Well-Known Member

This is coming from a journalist with close links to Castles, so I have no doubts it's credible. Yet further proof of how Grayson's hands were tied (yes, not by Bates, but by his stooge Williams) and another explanation of why our transfers and contract negotiations always fail (incompetent Harvey is in charge of them).

Anyway, thought I'd share that with you good people. Not a complete revelation, but certainly confirms what many of us thought.

2. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Gwyn Williams, I know the name, but what does he do??

3. ellandback

Forum Moderator

Once Grayson has negotiated his contract, hope he is able to talk to the papers, ie Haigh at the Sun

4. Nazara

Nazara Active Member

Technical director.
    Like Bates, used to work at Chelsea <ok>

5. Jerel Ifil

He'll get sued if he does that, for breaching the confidentiality clause in his compensation package.

LUST tonight were on about possibly getting in touch with him and said there'd been some contact. Be nice if he did come and speak out against the tyrant and his minions.

6. ellandback

Forum Moderator

7. The-Don

The-Don Well-Known Member

Grayson for Chairman of the trust?

8. Quinntan

Quinntan Member

Used to be a scout, he found Becchio and Beckford back in the day.

9. The-Don

n snodgrass.

10. BoggersMOT

BoggersMOT Well-Known Member

Interesting balance to this thread given by the last two contributions. Where it said Williams had a veto, should that perhaps be Gwynn Williams is consulted before a decision is made & Grayson would more than just take into account his views? Put another way, what Manager would want someone else other than the chairman telling him who he can & can't have?

11. The-Don

Basically Boggers Williams is just someone else for Bates to hide behind and pass the blame, they are all working from the same hymm sheet written by bates, quite obvious that the one time Grayson went away from that hymm sheet he was sacked!

Get the cancer out of Leeds!!!!!!

12. Quinntan

Quinntan Member

I don't think there's anything wrong with having someone like Glyn Williams involved in the transfer process. He's got an eye for good players and, given that Becchio was buried in the Spanish third division, Snodgrass was in the Scottish first division and Beckford was in non-league football, he's got a good awareness of players playing in different leagues.

13. Best Fans

Best Fans Active Member

I think Williams must be a good scout, considering he found some of our best players in recent years from nowhere. He's not strictly a scout though, he's a director of football. That means his veto is no different from say Ken Bates doing it. If Williams wasn't at the club, it'd just be Bates vetoing the same things. But whilst Williams has a veto, I don't think he'll have the power to sign someone if Grayson had said no.

14. strachallister

strachallister Well-Known Member

I agree so far to say yes he was a good scout, but a manager should be allowed to bring in the players he wants, they should not be vetoed by a former scout, a manager lives and dies by his decisions , so shouldnt williams get the blame as well as grayson for the ****e players they brought to the club.

15. Best Fans

Best Fans Active Member

I'd say, although this is just a guess, that Williams scouts unknown players. Like Beckford, Becchio, Snodgrass, Somma etc. and the amount of random trialists we get. I don't see the point in a scout if he's just saying 'sign Billy Paytner, he was top scorer in League One'. I reckon Williams is scouting players in lower or foreign divisions.

16. Jerel Ifil

Quinntan, I'd say the main thing that's wrong with it is the fact that Williams is a known Bates puppet, and is effectively there to do his bidding.

Grayson: 'can I have X player who wants 15,000 a week?'
    Williams: 'I veto that decision, I don't think it represents value for money.'
    Bates: 'well done, my young padawan.'

Which is a very unhealthy situation. Williams may have found some gems in the past, but it appears to have been Grayson who unearthed Gradel and McCormack. Maybe he's losing his touch as he gets more powerful.

17. Best Fans

Best Fans Active Member

I'd hardly call signing McCormack - a regular for Cardiff who got 21 goals 2 years before he came to Leeds - as unearthing talent. Obviously Gradel yes.

The thing is, we don't know which players were Grayson's choices or Williams. I don't think that SG ever got players forced on him, but he'll have been recommended players by Williams obviously. Some of the terrible signings could be down to Williams, but we'll never know either way.