1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Guthrie to put talks in hold with Newcastle

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Vuckic's Faces, Oct 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vuckic's Faces

Vuckic's Faces Active Member

Danny Guthrie signed for Newcastle in the Summer of 2008 in a 4 year contract which means he's contract ends this June.

Lee Ryder reported today in twitter that Guthrie has has paused talks for a new contract and this is what he had to say..

please log in to view this image

In my opinion, Guthrie is a good squad player and is good cover, He's found it hard with all the injuries and the new signings. Wouldn’t mind keeping him though. Just in case and the what not. But nothing major. But I wouldn't be too bothered if he left for First Team football other where.

2. I doubt he'll stay

3. biggeordiedave

biggeordiedave Active Member

I don't think he'll get back into our first team any time soon. We could do a lot worse, but in my opinion he'd be better off in the Championship.

4. I think he could do better than the CC. He could help the likes of Swansea stay up.

5. beardface

beardface Active Member

I like guthers, be a shame if he leaves. Never really had a chance to prove himself at the top level with injuries, was quality at the championship.

Sure there will be a few teams after him.

6. skalpel

skalpel Active Member

I don't dislike Guthrie as much as some people but I can't say I'd be that bothered if he left. Gosling is basically an upgraded version of Guthrie; their names even start with the same letter, it's so obvious.

7. Amnesiac

Amnesiac Guest

Not fussed if we keep him or if he goes. If he stays, great, decent squad player. If he goes a youngster could make the step up and take his place.

8. Cal.

Cal. Active Member

Waiting until January so we're in direct competition with any interested clubs if we offer him a new contract...

9. Amnesiac

Amnesiac Guest

So that's Guthers back to Bolton then, they seem to like deals like this.

10. abc CissesCurriedGoat abc

abc CissesCurriedGoat abc Well-Known Member

I'm thinking on a business standpoint, the club doesn't need him...they already have haris as cover in addition to the likes of gosling abeid..

11. Minty Fresh

Minty Fresh Active Member

I like Guthrie and I hope he stays. Decent cover, and although we do have other CM's like Abeid Gosling and Vuckic, he's the only one with any real experience (apart from Smith).

12. Smudger

Smudger Active Member

Hope he stays, but if he's counting on breaking into the first team that isnt happening without a major injury/sale.

Useful player, if we sold him we wont get a better player for the modest fee we'd receive.

Could be a starter for a just about any bottom 10 side in the PL though, so I wouldnt blame him for leaving.

13. Jonas' Dance Teacher

Jonas' Dance Teacher Active Member

Would be really devestated if he left like ;)

14. Tino's Machine Gun

Tino's Machine Gun Active Member

Danny Guthrie gets a lot of stick for reasons unknown to me, he is easily a Premier League quality player. The lad's found it tough being unlucky with injuries and not really getting a proper run in the first team. Sadly he's definitely not as good as our midfield duo so he'll not get a chance unless someone cripples Cabaye for being sexier than them.

Wouldn't blame Danny for leaving as he is capable of playing first team football in the Prem, hope he stays though as we'd never get a better replacement for the fee he'd go for.

15. Warmir Pouchov

Warmir Pouchov Better than JPF

Wouldn't be missed in terms of quality for me, very average. We would be light though depending on Abeid and Goslings ability to step up. Gosling seems a luxury to me but he seems well thought of. Abeid has looked good in the little I've seen. Seems more of a forward thinking central midfielder a la Cabaye, so maybe some back up for Tiote would be needed.

16. The Secret Ingredient

The Secret Ingredient Well-Known Member

think he'll leave as he's not going to get into the first team unless we have a injury crisis,if he does go hope we get a decent squad player in preferably a defender

17. AH

AH Active Member

I've always like Guthrie. Cracking little player. Like Smudger said too, we'd receive a tiny fee for him and could we really replace him with a similar/better quality with that fee? Unless Carr goes on one of his mental missions again like. Good squad player to have, but won't be breaking into the first team. I'd be pleased if he stays, but wish him all the best if he goes.

18. Colly NUFC

Colly NUFC Active Member

Where's that dancing smily when you need it?

19. The Secret Ingredient

The Secret Ingredient Well-Known Member

agree wouldn't begrudge him if he left for first team football he deserves it,just can't see him getting it here not with our midfield and it looks like pardew fancies abeid(in a non AH way)

20. GDubz

GDubz Member

And i for one hope NUFC arent in a hurry to give him one!!!! End of this season Smith, Guthrie, Lovenkrands and Harper are out of contract..... Shola should have been but the cat of 99 lives has managed to scrape another couple of year out of us.

The 4 above are either too poor or too old to keep on and will shed a good lump off the wage bill.

Smith- Woeful signing and went right down in my estimation after refusing to go to Leeds despite NUFC being willing to pay him £35k a week contribution.

Guthrie- Never been good enough, a bit part back up player, he doesnt have potential. Get rid. We have Cabaye, Tiote, HBA, Jonas, Marveux, Ferguson, Vukcic and Gosling. Let Guthrie go end of the year and get a new up and coming centre mid to replace him

Lovenkrands- Been a good servant but past it now. I would like to see another striker in January which would put him even further down the pecking order, already being behind Best, Ba and Ameobi. With Lovenkrands gone likes of Sami and Ranger (if we dont sell him) can get more game time if we dont get another striker in.

Harper- Again a good servant but past it, specially now we have 3 younger goalkeeping options.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.